How to install Windows from USB- WinSetupFromUSB with GUI

Try this, just replace the original file in program directory and launch it.

http://www.datafilehost.com/download-ab913a8a.html

Does grubinst now say "MBR/BS was successfully installed" twice?

Does WinSetupFromUSB reports the same error again?

edit: before pressing enter at each CMD window to continue, do you see mbrdiskN-date-time.dat and bsdiskN-date-time.dat files in C:\WinSetupFromUSB\

Edited by ilko_t

Hi!

I tryd out the version 0.2.0, great work!

But i have some experience with it.

1:

I used a Kingston 4G pen, formatted with the HP Tool 2.1.8, do a full format, but the winsetupfromusb not recognized. After that, i used the hp tool 2.0.6 version with the same settings, and it's now recognized in the winsetupfromusb.

2:

I made the whole process of the XP to Usb with three different XP SP3, but when i boot from usb, i got only the Boot.ini, the grub dosent appears.

To solve this, i used the grubinstGUI, and installed a grub to the pen. It's not write over the files, so after that i get the normal grub, with the first menu and the first and second options.

Maybe it's help you the development, keep on the good work. Sorry for my bad english. :hello:

yes grubinst now say "MBR/BS was successfully installed"

and no i dont see mbrdiskN-date-time.dat and bsdiskN-date-time.dat files in C:\WinSetupFromUSB\

:wacko:

Here is another test version, please try it. Interested again if grubinst reports success and if mbrdiskN-date-time.dat and bsdiskN-date-time.dat files are in C:\WinSetupFromUSB\.

I am unable to reproduce the issue no matter what I try, thanks for helping.

http://www.datafilehost.com/download-e410c895.html

Hi!

I tryd out the version 0.2.0, great work!

But i have some experience with it.

1:

I used a Kingston 4G pen, formatted with the HP Tool 2.1.8, do a full format, but the winsetupfromusb not recognized. After that, i used the hp tool 2.0.6 version with the same settings, and it's now recognized in the winsetupfromusb.

2:

I made the whole process of the XP to Usb with three different XP SP3, but when i boot from usb, i got only the Boot.ini, the grub dosent appears.

To solve this, i used the grubinstGUI, and installed a grub to the pen. It's not write over the files, so after that i get the normal grub, with the first menu and the first and second options.

Maybe it's help you the development, keep on the good work. Sorry for my bad english. :hello:

1. 2.1.8 does not set active partition, that's why WSFUSB won't accept the drive as properly formatted- either MBR is missing or there is no partition set as active. 2.0.6 sets the only partition active.

2. Either grub4dos bootsector was not installed, or the bootsector was overwriten by external program later on. Or maybe we fall into the same case like here:

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=5059

Please attach all WinSetupFromUSB log files, the latest one is in program's directory called WinSetupFromUSB.log and the previous ones are cab compressed in directory Backups. Put them in a single zip archive and attach them with your post, or upload them to datafilehost.com for example.

Thanks for helping :)

Uploading 0.2.1 now, the cause remains a mystery for me, since this way to launch grubinst was used since the first versions and I am still unable to reproduce the error.

Anyway, glad it's solved now, thanks for participating ;)

...i used the program under Win7 x64 version, build 7068
First try installing the program in its default location, check if that makes any difference. Second- use 0.2.1, third- try it on Vista or XP.

I have never tested it on Windows 7, there a a few external tools used and ALL them have to support 7. In other words- no reliable support for now of Windows 7.

...i used the program under Win7 x64 version, build 7068
First try installing the program in its default location, check if that makes any difference. Second- use 0.2.1, third- try it on Vista or XP.

I have never tested it on Windows 7, there a a few external tools used and ALL them have to support 7. In other words- no reliable support for now of Windows 7.

Now i tryd out a complet install.

First i slipstreamed all hotfixes, WMP11, flash player, WUA, etc. Then added driverpacks from driverpacks.net (sata, lan, chipset, cpu). After that i made the USB pen with 0.2.1 under W7. (SP3 comp mode, admin rights)

The pen boots fine. In text mode setup works fine all things, expect some unattended settings.

In the ~BT folder, this is the first part of the winnt.sif file:

[Data]
AutoPartition="0"
UnattendedInstall="Yes"
MsDosInitiated="1"
floppyless="1"

[GuiUnattended]
AutoLogon = Yes
AdminPassword=*
EncryptedAdminPassword=NO
OEMSkipRegional=1
TimeZone=95
OemSkipWelcome=1
DetachedProgram=".\system32\cmd.exe"
Arguments="/Q /C FOR /F %I IN (%SystemRoot%\SYSTEM32\$WINNT$.INF) DO (FOR %J IN (%I$OEM$) DO (IF EXIST %J (start /min /D%J Drivers.cmd)))"

So the text mode is not unattended. (My XP is fully unattended)

This is the ~LS/i386 folder's winnt.sif file:

[Data]
AutoPartition=0
UnattendedInstall="Yes"
MsDosInitiated=No

[Unattended]
UnattendMode=DefaultHide
OemSkipEula=Yes
Unattendswitch=Yes
WaitForReboot = No
TargetPath=\WINDOWS
Hibernation = No
MaximumDataStorePercentOfDisk = 5
RestorePointLife = 30
FileSystem=*
OemPreinstall=Yes
DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore
NonDriverSigningPolicy=Ignore
OemPnpDriversPath="D\C\A1;D\C\A2;D\C\AM2;D\C\AM3;D\C\AM4;D\C\AM5;D\C\AM6;D\C\AM7;D\C\AT;D\C\AU;D\C\D;D\C\F;D\C\H;D\C\I1;D\C\I2\1;D\C\I2\2;D\C\I2\3;D\C\I2\4;D\C\I3\1;D\C\I3\2;D\C\I3\3;D\C\I4;D\C\I5;D\C\IN;D\C\IT;D\C\N1;D\C\N2;D\C\N3;D\C\N4;D\C\SM;D\C\T;D\C\V1\2K;D\C\V1\2K3;D\C\V1\XP;D\C\V2;D\CPU;D\L\3A;D\L\3B;D\L\3C;D\L\3D;D\L\3E;D\L\3F;D\L\AC1;D\L\AC2;D\L\AC4;D\L\AC5;D\L\AC6;D\L\AC7;D\L\AD1;D\L\AD2;D\L\AG;D\L\AL;D\L\AM1;D\L\AM2;D\L\AM3;D\L\AS1;D\L\AS2;D\L\AS3;D\L\AS4;D\L\AS5;D\L\AS6;D\L\AT1;D\L\AT2;D\L\AT3;D\L\ATE;D\L\AU;D\L\B1;D\L\B2;D\L\B3;D\L\B4;D\L\BE1;D\L\BF;D\L\BU1;D\L\BU2;D\L\BU3;D\L\C1;D\L\CO1;D\L\CO2;D\L\CO3;D\L\CO5;D\L\D10;D\L\D2;D\L\D3;D\L\D4;D\L\D5;D\L\D6;D\L\D7;D\L\D8;D\L\D9;D\L\DA1;D\L\DA2;D\L\DA3;D\L\HP;D\L\I1;D\L\I2;D\L\IC1;D\L\IC2;D\L\L1;D\L\L2;D\L\L4;D\L\L5;D\L\L6;D\L\L7;D\L\L8;D\L\M;D\L\MI;D\L\MO;D\L\N1;D\L\N10;D\L\N2;D\L\N3;D\L\N4;D\L\N5;D\L\N6;D\L\N7;D\L\N8;D\L\N9;D\L\ND1;D\L\NS1;D\L\NV;D\L\NV3;D\L\NV3\PreNRM\Win2K;D\L\NV3\PreNRM\WinXP;D\L\NV4;D\L\NV5;D\L\NV5A;D\L\NV6;D\L\NV6A;D\L\NV7;D\L\NV8;D\L\O1;D\L\O2;D\L\O3;D\L\O4;D\L\O5;D\L\O6;D\L\O8;D\L\R1;D\L\R2;D\L\R3;D\L\R4;D\L\SB1;D\L\SB2;D\L\SIL;D\L\SIS;D\L\SIS2;D\L\SM1;D\L\SM2;D\L\SM3;D\L\SM4;D\L\SM6;D\L\SM7;D\L\SM8;D\L\SM9;D\L\SU1;D\L\SU5;D\L\SU7;D\L\SU8;D\L\SU9;D\L\SUC;D\L\U1;D\L\U3;D\L\U4;D\L\U5;D\L\V1;D\L\V2;D\L\V3;D\L\X1;D\L\X2;D\L\Z;D\M\3;D\M\3B;D\M\3C;D\M\A;D\M\A2;D\M\A3;D\M\A4;D\M\A5;D\M\A6;D\M\A7;D\M\A8;D\M\AD1;D\M\AD2;D\M\AD3;D\M\AD4;D\M\AD5;D\M\AD6;D\M\AD7;D\M\AD8;D\M\AD9;D\M\ADA;D\M\ADB;D\M\ADC;D\M\AM;D\M\AM1;D\M\AM2;D\M\AM3;D\M\AR;D\M\AT;D\M\AU;D\M\AU2;D\M\AU3;D\M\B;D\M\C;D\M\C1;D\M\C2;D\M\C3;D\M\D;D\M\D1;D\M\E;D\M\H;D\M\H1;D\M\H10;D\M\H1S;D\M\H2;D\M\H3;D\M\H3K;D\M\H3S;D\M\H5;D\M\H6;D\M\H6S;D\M\H7;D\M\H7S;D\M\H8;D\M\H9;D\M\H9S;D\M\I1;D\M\I2;D\M\I3;D\M\I4;D\M\I5;D\M\I6;D\M\IB1;D\M\IB2;D\M\IB3;D\M\IB6;D\M\INI;D\M\IT;D\M\J;D\M\L;D\M\L1;D\M\L10;D\M\L11;D\M\L2;D\M\L3;D\M\L4;D\M\L5;D\M\L6;D\M\L7;D\M\L8;D\M\L9;D\M\M;D\M\M2;D\M\M3;D\M\M4;D\M\NV123;D\M\NV4;D\M\NV4IN;D\M\NV5;D\M\NV6;D\M\NVTM;D\M\P;D\M\P\K;D\M\P\S;D\M\P1;D\M\P1K;D\M\P1S;D\M\P2;D\M\P2\K;D\M\P2S;D\M\P3;D\M\P4;D\M\P4K;D\M\P4S;D\M\P5;D\M\P6;D\M\P7;D\M\P8;D\M\P9;D\M\PA;D\M\PAS;D\M\PC;D\M\Q;D\M\Q2;D\M\Q3;D\M\Q4;D\M\S;D\M\S2;D\M\S2A;D\M\S3;D\M\S4;D\M\S5;D\M\S7;D\M\S7A;D\M\S7B;D\M\S8;D\M\S9;D\M\SA;D\M\SA2;D\M\SB;D\M\SB2;D\M\SB3;D\M\SB4;D\M\SB5;D\M\SC;D\M\SC2;D\M\SC3;D\M\SC4;D\M\SC5;D\M\SIS;D\M\SIS1;D\M\SIS2;D\M\SIS3;D\M\V1;D\M\V2;D\M\V3;D\M\VM"

[GuiUnattended]
AutoLogon = Yes
AdminPassword=*
EncryptedAdminPassword=NO
OEMSkipRegional=1
TimeZone=95
OemSkipWelcome=1
Arguments="/Q /C FOR /F %I IN (%SystemRoot%\SYSTEM32\$WINNT$.INF) DO (FOR %J IN (%I$OEM$) DO (IF EXIST %J (start /min /D%J Drivers.cmd)))"

The text mode is not unattended, it's not a problem, because if it's unattended, we lose the recovery console option. But the second part of the install, it wasn't lanched my Drivers.cmd file in the start. It's urgent, because in this part of the setup, we can only lanch an application with this methode:

Expect that, all things works fine, my XP is installed succesfull, and was a quite fast process. - Nice work. :thumbup

I uploaded my log file... link

----------------

And maybe an extra function for your program: run easyboot cd menü from usb: (compatible with your usb maker prog)

yust add these lines to the winsetup.lst file:

title Start EasyBoot
find --set-root --ignore-floppies /iso/mycd.iso
map /iso/mycd.iso (hd32)
map --hook
chainloader (hd32)
boot

And of corse, put a file called mycd.iso to the iso folder to the pen.

Edited by Cpt.Patch

The text mode is not unattended, it's not a problem, because if it's unattended, we lose the recovery console option.
Not only. If unattended section is present in winnt.sif Text mode setup will attempt to install windows in the same place where ~BT and ~LS folders are, that's our USB disk. This is by MS design, even if the section is empty.

That's why the program removes it into a file, called tempunat.inf, and befora start of GUI mode, by using presetup.cmd that section is merged back into \windows\system32\$winnt$.inf. This file is made off winnt.sif entries and is used of the GUI setup. Got the idea and why your unattended section was not in winnt.sif?

As for the OemPnpDriversPath entries- open up presetup.cmd and look if the are already as spdrvscn32.exe parameters. Check also if they were merged into the registry. There shouldn't be any problem with that but double check.

I've seen reports that DetachedPrograms does not execute always if the fake Setup.exe (which launches presetup.cmd and then executes the real Setup.exe) is used.

Since presetup.cmd is always used, no matter if BTS DP are integrated or not, you'd better put your script in it.

It's always launched as it merges the unattended section back into $winnt$.inf, changes msdosinitiated to 0 in the same file to avoid deletion of ~LS, ~BT and a few other files at end of GUI (T-1), copies $OEM$\$1 etc. folders if present, adds via spdrvscn32.exe whatever is present in OemPnpDriversPath, fixes BOOT.INI on the internal disk etc. etc.

Can you translate what that command above does exactly? Do you have Drivers.cmd in each subfolder? What actually Drivers.cmd does? Maybe we can find a better way to perform the task required.

And maybe an extra function for your program: run easyboot cd menü from usb:
I an afraid there will be boom of questions "why my ISO didn't start?" since this type of ISO loading requires either grub4dos ISO emulation aware distro (PartedMagic, UBCD are the first two), an OS which boots off RAM (PE via RAMDISK, Linux with only KERNEL and INITRD), or simply a real-mode OS such as DOS.

Since that's not universal way to load ISOs and adding such to menu.lst is a trivial task (samples already included in original menu.lst), I'd rather not go into further complications.

I an afraid there will be boom of questions "why my ISO didn't start?" since this type of ISO loading requires either grub4dos ISO emulation aware distro (PartedMagic, UBCD are the first two), an OS which boots off RAM (PE via RAMDISK, Linux with only KERNEL and INITRD), or simply a real-mode OS such as DOS.

Since that's not universal way to load ISOs and adding such to menu.lst is a trivial task (samples already included in original menu.lst), I'd rather not go into further complications.

I just think about to run small usefull things, like memtest86+, pqmagic, ntfs command promt, they all runs fine from that methode. If somebody put these programs to an iso with easyboot program, and put the iso to the pen, it will boot correctly, i tryed it out.

-----

For the other parts of your post, i will seek somebody, who translate it to me. :) But now i need to sleep, work all day with these things. :hello:

• 2 weeks later...

Forgive me for being a total id***, but how do I use the /norepair parameter?

It would mean a great deal to me if I could make bootable USB drives with this program and not have to worry about boot.ini modifications.

Thank you so much!