How to install Windows from USB- WinSetupFromUSB with GUI

Jaclaz, what are you referring to? Do the same like what, the pushd cmd window?

AutoIt script would not work that early, this is before the real GUI mode part starts.

I was thinking of a simple program in other language which opens and keeps a handle to the USB disk volume(s), but haven't moved any further yet in this direction.

I was thinking of a simple program in other language which opens and keeps a handle to the USB disk volume(s), but haven't moved any further yet in this direction.

Idea, not tested: Can we use fake setup.exe?

Copy setup.exe "%temp%"

create a file "%temp%\setup.cmd" (push to USB disk and wait)

pushd "%temp%"

start setup.exe

popd

Jaclaz, what are you referring to? Do the same like what, the pushd cmd window?

AutoIt script would not work that early, this is before the real GUI mode part starts.

Yep :), that was also my general idea a very simple program keeping a handle open and not "needing" a CMD Window, didn't thought much to the environment in which it is run, sorry :blushing: .

Of course one could use nircmd to simply hide that window :unsure: but it would be a little like "cheating" :unsure:

jaclaz

Copy setup.exe "%temp%"

pushd "%temp%"

start setup.exe

popd

Brilliant idea, thanks, no need of extra external files.

Will test it soon and report.

• 2 weeks later...

Copy setup.exe "%temp%"

pushd "%temp%"

start setup.exe

popd

This worked perfectly, thanks again

if not exist %SystemRoot%\temp md %SystemRoot%\temp >> %SystemRoot%\WinPreSetup.log
copy setup.exe %SystemRoot%\temp >> %SystemRoot%\WinPreSetup.log
echo %CDDRIVE% > %SystemRoot%\temp\setup.cmd
echo pushd %CDDRIVE% >> %SystemRoot%\temp\setup.cmd
echo pause >> %SystemRoot%\temp\setup.cmd
pushd %SystemRoot%\temp
echo Launching setup.exe in temp >> %SystemRoot%\WinPreSetup.log
start %SystemRoot%\temp\setup.exe
popd

how does this even work...??

I have tried this over and over and still not running.

I am trying to install XP on a net book (Acer aspire one) and it starts off fine but when it get to the Install options (Enter=Continue Installation of window xp, E=repair & F3=Exit) i am not able to make a selection at all..

Its like it doesn't even care about what i press on the keyboard unless its cancel "F3"and that just stuff up the entire install process...

Has anyone had this issue and care to advise a resolution.

P>S this is probably the 5 software I've try and still all fail.

And I have my own XP key to use so...

Thank you.

Are you saying that at this point when you press ENTER key on the keyboard nothing happens, but F3 quits the setup? Does "R" key gets you to Recovery console?

Is it this point?

pic21.gif

Never seen similar issue...

What's your source, have tried unmodified MSDN one?

What version of the program have you used?

Added:

When you get to the grub4dos menu First part and Second part of setup, on bluish background, does pressing "c" gets you to grub4dos command prompt?

"Esc" will bring back the menus.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to install Win2k3 from a USB pendrive (single partition) into a USB-HDD (2nd partition, 3GB, FAT32-formatted).

The first installation step goes well, but after the reboot i get the BSOD:

Stop: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
The Session Manager Initialization system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of ...
The system has been shut down.

Edited by eadmaster

When preparing the USB stick did you use the advanced option "Prepare Windows 2000/XP/2003 to be installed on USB" ?

What's the partition layout on the USB hard disk? How many partitions, which one is active, what's the type of the second one- primary, logical?

What file system is the active one, NTFS, FAT32...?

In your setup, you may want to prepare the USB hard disk with 2003 setup files, again using the mentioned option, and install on the same disk.

When preparing the USB stick did you use the advanced option "Prepare Windows 2000/XP/2003 to be installed on USB" ?

yes, of course.

What's the partition layout on the USB hard disk? How many partitions, which one is active, what's the type of the second one- primary, logical?

What file system is the active one, NTFS, FAT32...?

3 primary partitions:

1 NTFS

2 FAT32 (active)

3 NTFS

In your setup, you may want to prepare the USB hard disk with 2003 setup files, again using the mentioned option, and install on the same disk.

Installing on the same HDD could really solve the problem?

What if i remove the HDD from the USB enclosure, connect via SATA, install regularly and then make these registry edits to boot from USB?

Edited by eadmaster

Hello.

Please help me with this issue. I've been trying to install Windows XP Pro on my old PC using 16Gb flash drive. WinSetupFromUsb seemed to be just for me since I couldn't get this old PC to boot from USB until I found this utility.

So now I'm getting an error "File biosinfo.inf could not be loaded. Error code: 2". Tried different ISO images but still the same error.

Would greatly appreciate any help.

Edited by Antony

What version of the program are you using?

Try 1.0 beta8, get an empty USB stick, select the auto-format option and add your XP source.

When booting press quickly F2 to launch PLoP boot manager then proceed to First part of Setup. If everything goes fine, there would be no need of PLoP for the second part.

Most likely BIOS presents the USB stick as a superfloppy, rather than a hard disk.