6.5.1 under XP x64: Reboot hangs & Abort hangs.

I am running WPI 6.5 .1 under XP Pro x64 Edition. When testing under VMware Server the first several installs go fine but the last one, Reboot hangs. When I click Abort and answer the prompt, nothing happens.

I attach my install log.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Enjoy, John.

I built a Batch file with the following:

Shutdown /r /f /t 10

WPI indicated it worked saying a code of 1 was returned, but my system did not restart. I tried this command in a command prompt and it worked.

Obviously, I need some assistance.

Thanks.

Enjoy, John.

I just got Vista64 installed tonight and doing all the updates and such. I hope to be back up to speed in the next couple of days. I forgot how much work it can be to............I need to get my WPI back up to date!

mritter and Kelsenellenelvian,

I have determined what the problem is. WPI must be looking in the wrong place for shutdown.exe. I placed a copy (from C:\WINDOWS\system32) into the WPI folder and the Restart Option on the Tools tab then worked. Please note, mritter, I am running XP x64, not Vista.

I was surprised when the Restart happened so quickly. The text on the Tools tab of the Option menu says 'Restart computer after installation is complete', but very shortly after the one installation started, a red x appeared next to it and the timer window for the Restart showed up.

Is there any way to have the Restart really begin after all the installs are truly complete?

Thanks much.

Enjoy, John.

The reboot works fine for me, with the delay. Do you have "Restart delay" set to something other than 0? Obvious, I know, but you never know sometimes........Once the install process is done, it should open the shutdown window for X seconds, then reboot. Unchek "Do NOT load desktop" since that reboots immediately. That is a hard forced reboot.

If you want, try this, too:

installer.js

if (!RestartType)
cmdLine='shutdown.exe -r -f -t '+RestartSeconds+' -c "'+getText(ComputerWillRestart)+'"';
else
cmdLine='shutdown.exe -s -f -t '+RestartSeconds+' -c "'+getText(ComputerWillShutdown)+'"';

change to

if (!RestartType)
cmdLine=sysdir+'\\shutdown.exe -r -f -t '+RestartSeconds+' -c "'+getText(ComputerWillRestart)+'"';
else
cmdLine=sysdir+'\\shutdown.exe -s -f -t '+RestartSeconds+' -c "'+getText(ComputerWillShutdown)+'"';

That will make it the full command path C:\Windows\system32\shutdown.exe

It shouldn't need it, but let me know if it helps.

• 5 weeks later...

I am running into these issues and could not figure out a solution yet.

I tried using cmdLine=sysdir+'\\shutdown.exe

but wpi still hangs on cmd2[pn]=['%reboot%'];

and I get a javascript error at the end of the wpi installation if RestartComputer=true

I also tried copying C:\WINDOWS\system32\shutdown.exe to the wpi folder but I get the same issues.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

mritter,

Thanks for your reply.

I think I am OK right now. I'll reply again if further testing reveals a problem.

Thanks, John.

I built a Batch file with the following:

Shutdown /r /f /t 10

WPI indicated it worked saying a code of 1 was returned, but my system did not restart. I tried this command in a command prompt and it worked.

Obviously, I need some assistance.

Thanks.

Enjoy, John.

The way I use the reboot command is in a 'Reboot.cmd' file.

I put an extra catagorie called 'Extra' at the end of all my software catagories.

(This is only the final reboot when everything is installed)

post-60591-1217283353_thumb.jpg

Reboot.cmd=

@ECHO OFF

for %%i in (C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) do if exist %%i:\WXP.ico set CDROM=%%i:

shutdown.exe -r -f -t 20 -c

exit

config.js=

prog[pn]=['Reboot XP'];

ordr[pn]=[200];

desc[pn]=['];

uid[pn]=['REBOOTXP'];

dflt[pn]=['yes'];

cat[pn]=['Extra'];

forc[pn]=['no'];

configs[pn]=['yes'];

gcond[pn]=['FileExists(\'%programfiles%\\\')'];

cmd1[pn]=['%cdrom%\\install\\Progs\\Reboot\\Reboot.cmd'];

pn++;

This way you can also choose easy to restart windows or not.

Since I do it this way I had never issues with the reboot command.

(I use the %cdrom% variable because I use WPI in a standalone disc for software installations, so my paths are maybe a little bit different)

Hope this is usefull, DJPro

Edited by DJPro