Windows XP Pro Corp VLK

Redhatcc

I see it that Microsoft basically "solved" this issue by making the WGA. Anyone foolish enough to use Windows updates and puts on the WGA get's their system f'ed up.

No They Aint .. there is ways to get around this .. and its with MS own Tools, so its not even with 3 parts programming .. so its just matter how to use these tools together, and what tools to use .. I know this because this is especially the OEM manufactures there use these tools, its even provided by MS it self, so it bypass any WGA restrictions ..

However, it should be no secret that many of the people who illegally use a VL version of Windows likely don't know how to bypass WGA. Most of the people I know who have it, got it from a friend or a co-worker and aren't tech people at all. So I brought up WGA as an example because said people called me and tell me their computer doesn't work anymore after running Windows Update. Then I find they have an illegal copy of XP and find out how they got it.

• 2 weeks later...
Not only Coca Cola, same as Querétaro government... they had used pirated MS Office, which has been replaced with OpenOffice

haha amazing! alot of people belive that once you get an update via Windows Update with a vlk and it works that you can always keep getting them.... and from what i've gathered thats not so true.

but the Querétaro Goverment.. i mean wtf lol :P :P :P

They get those numbers by saying that a pirated copy is indeed "in use", and if the user had paid for it then it costs $x because the product is being used, but was not bought.

And technically, if someone is pirating software and using it, they *should* have paid for it so technically it is a loss, as the company doesn't get paid but the software is still in use. It's not a "hard" loss like someone breaking in and stealing office equipment, but it is a lost sale.

"in use" doesn't really mean anything. If someone thought, "Hey, I can get it on the net, so why pay for it?", they were never going to purchase it to begin with. It can't be considered a lost sale because it would never have been sold in the first place. There was no money lost and no money was gained. You can't lose something that you didn't have to begin with.

Undoubtedly there will always be those individuals that want everything for nothing, but if companies want to severely curb piracy, they need to drop prices.

I don't condone, support, or encourage piracy and before anyone chimes in and starts jumping all over my back about my post, ALL my software is bought and paid for.

"in use" doesn't really mean anything. If someone thought, "Hey, I can get it on the net, so why pay for it?", they were never going to purchase it to begin with. It can't be considered a lost sale because it would never have been sold in the first place. There was no money lost and no money was gained. You can't lose something that you didn't have to begin with.
You miss the point - technically, from the viewpoint of the BSA and the company who produced the product, any invalid use of the software is a lost sale (regardless of whether or not the user would have actually bought the software or not). It's a license in-use but not paid for, therefore it's "lost revenue".

It's a license in-use but not paid for, therefore it's "lost revenue".

yea i'd have to agree with that statement. if you are using something, but didnt pay for it then basically its stealing a service.