Shut down

uruguay

I do not recall which program I installed that for some reason does not allow me to powerdown. All I get is an automatic reboot.

I've gone thru the registry chekup, and under Windows Nt the code 1 for power down is there.

I have system commander, but I do not believe this program is the culprit

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

Reverend - Only one word 'THANKS'

So far you're batting 1000.

Now as a result of this, I'm getting a keyboard error message at boot:

"Press F1 to continue"

There's nothing wrong with the keyboard. Had the same thing a few days ago, and the only way I got rid of it was with 2 simples files

FDISK + FORMAT C - which truthfully I do not wish to go thru again

Am sure there's a corrupted something, and not necessarily in the BIOS. Am stomped and a bit down

Any ideas? - Would appreciate the uplift

Thanks for any answer

You may have a corrupted system file.Go to Start > Run and type [b:2f372cf0f6]sfc /scannow[/b:2f372cf0f6] (leave a space between sfc and / ).Enter.

The system file checker will now start,at some point during the scan you will need to pop your XP cd in so that the checker can extract and replace any invalid or corrupt system files.Hope that helps.

PS Probably a genuine mistake but when you reply use the [b:2f372cf0f6]Post Reply[/b:2f372cf0f6] button,bottom right of post box.Not the [b:2f372cf0f6]start new thread[/b:2f372cf0f6] button.Thanx

I know am being horrendous bug, but

your idea of sfc /scannow seems to wanna work, but (sorry there's always one)

for some pathetic reason, it refuses to see the cd in the drives (have 2, external usb + internal ) or tells me wrong cd from install and then loops. the autorun works fine,

about to give up

Thanks for your patience

I got it to work (actually more like pushed and shoved and begged and lord knows what else) by omitting the spaces

For some pathetic reason it sorta went thru the motions.

I reran it a sec ago and this time it didn't ask for anything but then again without the space between the sfc and the slash it wouldn't even blink,

So try it both ways with a space or without, good luck,

Thanks to Reverend y'day, i was able to get the machine to power off.

I also ran sfc/scannow, which on first instance didn't run, then it did, however i have 2 nagging problems now

a) I keep getting the "F1 to resume" on post screen - usually it's keyboard related but in this case it isn't (once before it took FDISK to get over it) so it must be a boot.ini or other corrupted file, which one? can anyone help?

:) I also have the case of the disappearing speaker icon in the tray.Although it's properly ticked in ControlPanel/Sounds it won't load at startup. Again this is a deja vu and it needed a full reinstall - which i sorta don't feel like it now.

c)after the sfc/scannow it seems that it completely corrupted my soundblaster setup which needs to be removed and reinstalled, sigh!

Anyone has any really fast fast fast (yeah rite! - what's fast fast with windoze) answer, much much appreciated.

With the 20+ applications I need, plus assorted drivers for such things a video (2), sound, camera, printers (2), md, scanner, modems (2) cd's (2)

thanks but i was hoping for something positive, on top of it the xp cd i have is not bootable, ergo start with another os then move on, ( i just got the fix to make a bootable copy, haven't had a chance to even try it)

so anything anyone?

thanks