looking for a PCI card with DVI and 1920x1080p resolution

ceez

hello fellow msfn-ers!

I hooked up my HD tv to my computer but to get the best resolution I need a card that can output at least 1920x1080, the Digitial on my nvidia nvs 280 pci max out at 1600, yet the analog reaches up to 2560!!!

I was checking out Tigerdirect and found the following card

It has a max digital resolution of 2560x1600. This seems to me like it would work.

I just wanted to know what do you guys use to achieve at least 1920 resolution and what can you recommend.

Thank you very much for your help!

ceez

:thumbup

A graphics card is one aspect. The other is your TV. Some HD TV's are 720p and some are 1080p. Do you have a 1080p HDTV? If so, then it can display 1920x1080 or 1440x1080 resolution.

Also, the designation 1080p is not really correct. It is 1080-24p or 1080-50i or 1080-60i.

So, I think it's more to do with your monitor or TV than your graphics card.

It has a max digital resolution of 2560x1600. This seems to me like it would work.
It can do 1920x1200@60Hz, this is the limit of a single DVI. If you would like 1600p then you should look at a HDMI solution but I doubt that you will find a PCI card with it.

hey guys thanks for your replies and sorry for my late reply, i was out on vacation and now back (**** it's hard to get back to work after vacation.)

below is the specs of my tv in regards to pc resolution. as you can see my TV supports 1080p format and 1920x1080p resolution @ 60Hz

resolution.jpg

So the card I was looking over at tigerdirect should be sufficient right?!?!

thanks again,

ceez

:thumbup

I would recommend against getting a ATI 2400 myself. I did look at them before and for multimedia playback they have very bad reviews (just check avsforum for one place). It's basically a crippled 2600...

I mean, it WOULD work, but don't expect on it to do hardware decoding of H.264 and such, it'll all be in software. Not sure what kind of CPU you got, but decoding H.264 at 1080p is very demanding, and if the PC only has a PCI slot (no PCI-e), then likely it's old enough not to be able to handle it (just guessing here). Long story short, you just might be due for an upgrade instead (or some kind of inexpensive hardware media player if it's for movies). If you tell u what you're trying to do, and your system specs, we'd know for sure.

Anyways, if you do end buy getting a ATI 2400, the same place has another one made by Diamond instead, which is essentially the same, but passively cooled (I like my HTPCs quiet), and 14$ cheaper too.

Oh, also, you didn't mention which inputs your TV has. Personally I'd go with something that has a HDMI output, if your TV has such an input.

I don´t know but the systems I build accept the DEL key when it shows the AHCI BIOS load.

Are we talking here about those crippled HP PCs without the PCI-E/AGP sloths? Some have P4 3.04/3.0GHz on board and they have enough power. I see them too many times, tell people not to buy them, but they keep buying that crap in the supermarket. (Had to say it, there ;))

The 2600pro would be a better pick indeed; as crahak already pointed out, the 2400 series will not pull it.

Crahak, welcome back by the way ;)

@crahak, is this the 2600 card you mentioned? If so, that's a PCI-e card, what recommendation for a PCI?

@puntoMX, lol....well not quite the supermarket, but it's a DELL!!! Oh the inhumanity! I know- I know, I've built systems before but I was not looking for some power hungry system and it came with a sweet 19" lcd!!! If I am not mistaken it's a 2.4 with 2 gigs of RAM and yes, it does not have an agp or pci-e. But again, I didnt want a power system since I am not into PC games or such.

I am not sure about movie playback (yet). What I am trying to do is connect the pc to my 42" tv via the HDMI port. I have a DVI to HDMI cable, and with my current nvidia (pci) I cannot get the 1920 resolution so I have to use the vid card keystone settings to 'squeeze' the image between the borders of the tv and it looks crappy and bothersome to the eye balls!!! Again, not sure about playback and not interested in playing pc games.

Edited by ceez

Are we talking here about those crippled HP PCs without the PCI-E/AGP sloths? Some have P4 3.04/3.0GHz on board and they have enough power. I see them too many times, tell people not to buy them, but they keep buying that crap in the supermarket. (Had to say it, there ;))

I'm totally guilty of that :lol: I *DID* buy a pci-e/agp-less HP tower years ago. And it's a P4 3.06 indeed (519J). But hey, a P4 3GHz CPU was worth like 300$ back then, and the whole tower only cost me like 500$. So 200$ for a case, PSU, ghetto motherboard, 1GB of DDR2, DVD burner and 160GB hard drive, like 5 years ago -- not bad at all! Just had to get some more ram for it. But, yes, they're best avoided. That PC doesn't have a DVI out, and there's just no way I'm spending ~100$ on a ghetto PCI vid card for an old P4. One might as well sell the box for 200$, and build a basic C2D rig for a couple hundred more. Getting a motherboard and pci-e vid card for it is just too much money for a P4. Can't wait to get rid of it, mind you it stills runs XP & Linux great, and the kids still use it everyday without any complaints.

As for the P4 having enough power, perhaps for basic stuff, but a P4 3GHz will struggle on even 720p H.264 (unless you have hardware acceleration, like with a radeon 2600 indeed -- too bad they don't make it in PCI). Mine plays it all very choppy using CoreAVC. No worries tho, my e2160 (OC'ed to 3.4) can handle 1080p H.264 with lots of power to spare.

Crahak, welcome back by the way ;)

Thanks, nice to see you're still around, I did miss reading your posts :)

I am not sure about movie playback (yet). What I am trying to do is connect the pc to my 42" tv via the HDMI port. I have a DVI to HDMI cable, and with my current nvidia (pci) I cannot get the 1920 resolution so I have to use the vid card keystone settings to 'squeeze' the image between the borders of the tv and it looks crappy and bothersome to the eye balls!!! Again, not sure about playback and not interested in playing pc games.

Well, if it's just for 2D stuff (checking your email on your TV? :lol: ), the ATI 2400 will do the trick. But if it's for movies and such, then you'd probably be better off buying a Popcorn Hour A-100 instead.

As for the P4 having enough power, perhaps for basic stuff, but a P4 3GHz will struggle on even 720p H.264 (unless you have hardware acceleration, like with a radeon 2600 indeed -- too bad they don't make it in PCI).
Ow yes they do sell PCI versions, even based on the 3xxx series :). But swapping out the motherboard and getting a PCI-E card would be way better in any way.