Creating an nLited'd Win XP SP3 CD

Kelly Keyboard

Hey guys,

I'm finally getting around to updating my nLite CD for Win XP. My old one SP2 one w/ ~ 120 hotfixes worked like a charm. I have a few Q's about how to make a FULLY updated SP3 one though.

My Setup:

Win XP Pro GOLD (i.e. clean RTM disc)

nLite v1.4.5 (Final) [self extracting version, not the installer one]

.Net Framework v2.0 w/ SP1

WMP11 Slipstreamer v1.2

What is the correct oder to do it?

1. Slipstream SP3 into XP GOLD CD

2. Integrate WMP11 into XP GOLD CD source using WMP11 Slipstreamer (http://web.clicknet.ro/boooggy/) - here's my 1st Q; Do I need to also slipstream the WMP11 hotfixes using this tool? I have downloaded them all from the MS site, but they all say they are applicable for SP2. Does SP3 already contain these WMP11 hotfixes, thus making the individual hotfixes redundant? (as in therefore do I only have to slipstream the original WMP11 installer)

3. Integrate IE7 into XP GOLD CD using nLite - again, do I need to also slipstream the IE7 hotfixes as well? I have downloaded them all from the MS site, but they all say they are applicable for SP2. Does SP3 already contain ALL available IE7 hotfixes, thus making the individual hotfixes redundant? (as in therefore do I only have to slipstream the original IE7 installer)

4. Continuing with my customised method of removing components & services etc. through nLite.

Also, how do I slipstream the March 2008 redist. version of DirectX 9.0c into my source (and in what order?) - can this be done through nLite

Does SP3 include Windows Installer v3.1 v2? - as in can I delete the individual redist. version of it because it is now redundant?

What about Outlook Express individual hotfixes? Does SP3 include these - can I delete all the individual hotfixes?

Thank you all in advance :)

Kelly Keyboard

i do it like this

1. slipstream sp3 into xp sp 0

2. add wmp11 and hotfixes using my progie

3. add ie 7 addon and my other addons

4. nlite the cd

also look on ryans site u will find some dx addon that contains march dx

sp3 contains windows installer 3.1v2 and outlook express updates

sp3 doesnt contain any ie7 or wmp11 updates

Edited by boooggy

Just remember to download the newest ie7 install file from ms site, it contains newer files than the old file there was there before :) Do it like boooogeyyman does it, exepct the newest version DirectX 9.0c End-User Runtime AddOn - 0.3.4 (March 2008) does break wmp11 and ie7 install first time you login after fresh install... Ohh well i think its only me, i really dnu because i have tested alot of fresh installs with the same result everytime :(. Im abit drunk so dont be p***ed at me if i dont make any sense to any on this forum today haha.

sp3 doesnt contain any ie7 or wmp11 updates

does that mean i should still integrate the hotfixes (in WMP11 Slipstreamer and nLite for the IE7 hotfixes) despite the fact hey say they are for SP2?

and i've deleted all the individual outlook express hotfixes and the redist. version of widonws installer 3.1 v2 because they are already in SP3... correct?

thanks guys srry i just want to clarify because i want to make a really good nlite disc

if you try to integrate or install sp2 updates onto sp3 installation/image, you will most likely get an error refusing to update it as its not ment for the destination. ie7 and wmp are separate products from sp3, that simple.