vlite problem

Right i dont no where to start but here it goes..... i have a laptop that has Vista premium integrated onto it and it has a 32 bit operating system on it. I would like to lighten it up and get ride of the programs that i dont need as well as have a backup of it so if something goes wrong i wont have to delite all the rubbish off my system again but all i have to do is put a disc in and hey presto i have it how i want it. I have tryed using vlite and tried to follow the instructions on this link http://www.msfn.org/board/Tutorial-Build-W...-D-t114957.html but unfortunatly i cant seam to be able to use it, all it says is Can not find the expected files. Make sure you select the folder or the drive which contains the Vista installation files, usually on the installation DVD how do i fix this problem and how do i find the installation files on my laptop to make it smaller, what am i doing wrong?

That link you refer to is using a normal install disc. You can't use that method for an oem preinstalled os as in your case. Do some more searching there is a thread around where someone has a tutorial to accomplish this. I can't locate it myself atm.

That link you refer to is using a normal install disc. You can't use that method for an oem preinstalled os as in your case. Do some more searching there is a thread around where someone has a tutorial to accomplish this. I can't locate it myself atm.

I cant find it ive searched around and had no luck i would be very appreciative if someone could find it or tell me which folder in my drive to choose and where to find it please.

My screen shot >>>>> http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/7466/vlitezf9.jpg

Edited by V.I.P

V.I.P, laptops are a problem because you usually get a recovery disc instead of a full install. I think only Sony distributes full files with it in some folder.

Some useful info here about the expected files:

http://www.msfn.org/board/Using-Recovery-CD-t114830.html

Sorry about this but i havnt got a clue what it all means could you explain it so that i can understand, oh yeah i'm operating an Acer Aspire laptop if that helps.

In the link that nuhi gave you, start with post number 6, and read it very carefully.

He describes how to possibly be able to make a vLite version using a recovery disc. If anyone should know, it would be nuhi.

• 3 weeks later...
Copy the whole DVD into some new folder.

Then inside it there are

BASE and SOURCES subfolders.

Now read my previous message.

After that browse with vLite to the root, to the new folder into which you copied this DVD in the first place.

Do not edit the boot.wim, it is required to be as it is.

Right i'm getting there slowly but i cant find the BASE but i can find the SOURCES subfolders as you can see on my screen capture where is the BASE subfolders?

post-192966-1213545233_thumb.jpg