Folder Redirection Broken in SP3?

neon068

*FIX FOUND*

Click Here For the Post

===================================

We use folder redirection (Desktop/MyDocs) for all student accounts in our domain. After installing SP3, Folder Redirection completely stops working and after un-installing SP3, it works fine. I've tried many different XP installs, computers, and users. Also tried downloading SP3 as the redist package, via Windows Update, and also clean install with SP3 slipstreamed.

Anyone else having this problem?

(included event ss)

post-91102-1210278072_thumb.jpg

Edited by neon068

Maybe the path is too long or you have an invalid character somewhere in the path. If you copy and paste the path into a run box does it work?

-gosh

Path is correct, nothing changes except that when SP3 is installed, it does not work. After uninstalling, folder redirection works perfectly. I'm not changing anything else other then SP3.

And yes the Distributed Link Tracking Client service is running.

Any other ideas?

I turned on verbose logging as per KB907355 and it's not much help... Here's the output:

08:25:33:814 Entering folder redirection extension
08:25:33:830 Flags = 0x0
08:25:33:846 Group Policy Object name = {7BCBFB95-3E36-4E64-969A-1817F5EDDC65}
08:25:33:846 File system path = \\pti.edu\SysVol\pti.edu\Policies\{7BCBFB95-3E36-4E64-969A-1817F5EDDC65}\User
08:25:33:846 Directory path = LDAP://CN=User,CN={7BCBFB95-3E36-4E64-969A-1817F5EDDC65},CN=Policies,CN=System,DC=pti,DC=edu
08:25:33:846 Display name = Student Folder Redirect
08:25:33:846 Found folder redirection settings for policy Student Folder Redirect.
08:25:33:862 The user was found to be a member of the group s-1-5-21-510418058-1399010721-837300805-21968. The corresponding path was \\student\students\medical\%username%\MyDesktop.
08:25:33:862 Successfully obtained redirection data for Desktop, (Flags: 0x9).
08:25:33:862 The user was found to be a member of the group s-1-5-21-510418058-1399010721-837300805-21968. The corresponding path was \\student\students\medical\%username%\MyDocuments.
08:25:33:862 Successfully obtained redirection data for My Documents, (Flags: 0x9).
08:25:33:862 Successfully obtained redirection data for My Pictures, (Flags: 0x2).
08:25:33:862 Successfully gathered folder redirection settings for policy Student Folder Redirect.
08:25:33:862 Redirecting folder Desktop to \\student\students\medical\%username%\MyDesktop.
08:25:33:878 Previous folder path C:\Documents and Settings\medicaltest\Desktop expanded to C:\Documents and Settings\medicaltest\Desktop.
08:25:33:878 New folder path \\student\students\medical\%username%\MyDesktop expanded to \\student\students\medical\medicaltest\MyDesktop.
08:25:33:878 Failed to perform redirection of folder Desktop.
The folder is configured to be redirected from <C:\Documents and Settings\medicaltest\Desktop> to <\\student\students\medical\medicaltest\MyDesktop>.
The following error occurred:
%%267

08:25:33:878 Redirecting folder My Documents to \\student\students\medical\%username%\MyDocuments.
08:25:33:893 Previous folder path C:\Documents and Settings\medicaltest\My Documents expanded to C:\Documents and Settings\medicaltest\My Documents.
08:25:33:893 New folder path \\student\students\medical\%username%\MyDocuments expanded to \\student\students\medical\medicaltest\MyDocuments.
08:25:33:893 Failed to perform redirection of folder My Documents.
The folder is configured to be redirected from <C:\Documents and Settings\medicaltest\My Documents> to <\\student\students\medical\medicaltest\MyDocuments>.
The following error occurred:
%%267

It's saying it doesn't like the pathname (for some reason), and it could potentially be something in that remote folder it doesn't like. If you create a new folder for that user on the remote server (with the appropriate permissions) and make sure the source folder is empty of any files, what happens?

Otherwise, you may have found a bug you need to report...

I have tried creating a whole new OU with a brand new user, using a new share and new GPO for folder redirection. I blocked inheritance to make sure nothing else would interfere. Also, instead of using the %username% variable, I forced the correct path, and check and re-checked permissions and paths six ways from Sunday. The MyDesktop and MyDocuments folders where automatically created after logging in the first time with that new account but no files actually redirect there and I'm still getting the same errors. What should my next step be? I can't think of anything else to test.

Honestly, other than a network trace to make sure what's coming back from the file server over the wire isn't causing the problem, I'd engage Microsoft support (866-234-6020) and get a free case based on the fact that an update (in this case, SP3) caused the problem.

Hahaha I'm sorry but I had to share this with you guys...

I called the SP3 support line, after getting my case number and transfered to a tech, I explained my situation and pretty much quoted this post word for word, the tech said this...

Tech: "Ok I understand that Folder Redirection does not work after installing SP3. Have you updated your display drivers to fix this issue?"

Me: "Uhhhh, what does display drivers have to do with folder redirection?"

Tech: "Oh I'm sorry, do you have the folder redirection service running?"

Me: "There is no such thing as the folder redirection service."

Tech: "I'm sorry but this sounds like a third party software issue. Have you tried to contact them?"

Me: "Huh? Do you know what folder redirection is? It comes built into XP, can we escalate this please?"

Hahaha I'm sorry but I had to share this with you guys...

I called the SP3 support line, after getting my case number and transfered to a tech, I explained my situation and pretty much quoted this post word for word, the tech said this...

Tech: "Ok I understand that Folder Redirection does not work after installing SP3. Have you updated your display drivers to fix this issue?"

Me: "Uhhhh, what does display drivers have to do with folder redirection?"

Tech: "Oh I'm sorry, do you have the folder redirection service running?"

Me: "There is no such thing as the folder redirection service."

Tech: "I'm sorry but this sounds like a third party software issue. Have you tried to contact them?"

Me: "Huh? Do you know what folder redirection is? It comes built into XP, can we escalate this please?"

ROFLMAO!!!! Is that for real? :D

Anyway: we use the same thing in the company I work in. I recently ordered new PC for a guy and integrated SP3. It works without any problems. I don't even have half the default services running, mind you... This is really weird.

All I know SP3 changes is to set few services back on, namely firewall/file sharing (or wth the name is), security center and um... something.

This is what I get for deploying an update after a short testing period...

Anyone have a solution to this or do I need to roll back SP3 on all of my machines?

Kicking myself at the moment.

Anyone have a solution to this or do I need to roll back SP3 on all of my machines?

This is ridiculous... SP3 obviously breaks folder redirection and Microsoft will not admit to it. I've been on the phone with Microsoft for over 25 hours this week and have got nowhere.

I was able to find a temporary workaround for it though. If you replace the current %system32%\fdeploy.dll (version 5.1.2600.5512) in SP3 with the one included in SP2 (version 5.1.2600.2180), folder redirection in SP3 will work if you are having problems with it.

Nate

This is ridiculous... SP3 obviously breaks folder redirection and Microsoft will not admit to it. I've been on the phone with Microsoft for over 25 hours this week and have got nowhere.

I was able to find a temporary workaround for it though. If you replace the current %system32%\fdeploy.dll (version 5.1.2600.5512) in SP3 with the one included in SP2 (version 5.1.2600.2180), folder redirection in SP3 will work if you are having problems with it.

Nate

Ask to be escalated to premier support :)