Ways to restore "Application compatibility patch"?

El Barry

Hello, I am bored atm and I want to reinstall Red Alert 2. I know this game require "Application compatibility patch", but, off course, I removed it. Is there a way to reinstall this "patch"? I was thinking installing a fresh copy in a VM and copy the folder AppPatch and register the files. Or, if anyone have the folder, just give me the listing.

Would that work?

Edited by El Barry

11 files in %WinDir%\AppPatch:

apph_sp.sdb

apphelp.sdb

drvmain.sdb

msimain.sdb

sysmain.sdb

acadproc.dll

acgenral.dll

aclayers.dll

aclua.dll

acspecfc.dll

acxtrnal.dll

regsvr32 is not applicable

good luck

Hello, I am bored atm and I want to reinstall Red Alert 2. I know this game require "Application compatibility patch", but, off course, I removed it. Is there a way to reinstall this "patch"? I was thinking installing a fresh copy in a VM and copy the folder AppPatch and register the files. Or, if anyone have the folder, just give me the listing.

Would that work?

What?

That game never needed "Application compatibility patch". I'm playing that game just fine without any "patches".

Cheers ;)

You are wrong mara-. The game does not start here, either the original or The First Decade. I don't know why, but somehow, the Application compatibility patch is required. Just required, you don't need to set compatibility to any older OS.

Anyway, I included my ini. I am 99% sure it's this component that is causing me problem (since I tested it a while back).

BTW, thanks you OuTmAn for the list. I will test it ASAP.

EDIT: Doesn't work :no:

Last_Session.ini

Edited by El Barry

Try to install KB928595.

Also, make sure that you have correct version of dll files:

acadproc.dll - 5.1.2600.3163

AcGenral.dll - 5.1.2600.3163

AcLayers.dll - 5.1.2600.2993

AcLua.dll - 5.1.2600.2993

AcSpecfc.dll - 5.1.2600.3163

AcXtrnal.dll - 5.1.2600.2993

This is from fully updated Windows XP.

I did not know that game needs those files, I thought that you are setting compatibility to older system.

Cheers ;)

Edited by mara-

All my files are 5.1.2600.5512.

The KB928595 is for SP2 and I have SP3. I assume I already have this hotfix? Also, the games are installed. I just can't start them. I have a black screen and crash(?) to desktop without any error or log.

All my files are 5.1.2600.5512.

The KB928595 is for SP2 and I have SP3. I assume I already have this hotfix? Also, the games are installed. I just can't start them. I have a black screen and crash(?) to desktop without any error or log.

And, how did you the figured that problem is in the "Application compatibility patch"? Is there anything in Event Viewer?

Cheers ;)

Event Viewer is empty (or rather full of errors!).

Maybe you should post few of those errors from Event Viewer so we can figure what is the problem.

Cheers ;)

Just try this. Try to start Red Alert, and as soon as it crash open Event Viewer and see if there is any error appeared after launching. Error log may not mention RA2 at all.

EDIT: You can try this program.

Edited by mara-