[SOLVED] Big trouble with nLited SP3 WinNT & WinNT32 installation

BikinDutchman

I am a happy nLite user, integrated Xable, Boooggy a few things more, and a lot of simple drivers.

With SP2 everything worked out perfect, and for several reasons I preferred to use WinNT32 installs.

-They are a little different, more sensitive to tweaks than CD installs, but yet everything looked good.

Under SP3 I tried to do more or less the same, and CD installs are perfect as before with IE7 integration, Boooggy, Xable, etc :thumbup

However when I use the same nLited WinXP SP3 with WinNT32 installation, hell breaks loose.

-Lots of files missing, disfunctionality, signing errors, and no Calc.exe to name one of the most visible!

-I also tried a WinNT32 installation with Vanilla WinXP SP3 and no problems there!

Just for the sake of testing, I applied only one tweak with nLite: the WMP privacy statement. This resulted similar trouble and the error log as uploaded.

I looked into the differences between the installations before and after nLite and found changes to the following files:

-DEFLTWK,IN_, HIVEDEF.INF, HIVESFT.INF, SYSOC.IN_. The first two shrank by 10%, and all that for one simple tweak.

I understand well we are in the transition from SP2 to SP3, that things are difficult, so maybe I miss something:

-Does someone have a similar experience? Even tested this? Do I need to upload all nLited files?

I will greatly appreciate some insight into this problem.

setuperr.txt

Edited by BikinDutchman

Kel, no I did it under WinXP SP3, if I make a CD and do a CD install in Virtual PC it works fine

-the problems come with WinNT32 install on a real PC.

I slipstreamed WinXP RTM -> WinXP SP3, followed by nLite

-I will try WinXP RTM > WinXP SP2 > WinXP SP3 > nLite tonight

I need to clarify that my WinNT32 install is started from a partition, there is no CD involved. But that causes only one small part of the problems.

As mentioned, I applied just one tweak with nLite (WMP privacy) and that was causing quite some files edited and a disastrous installation. I found the causes:

-For this case nLite does not add nLite.inf to DOSNET.inf and TXTSETUP.sif so that (without) CD, nLite.inf cannot be found during installation. This causes a crash when sysocmgr tries to execute nLite.inf (and cannot find it).

-The DEFLTWK.IN_, HIVEDEF.INF, HIVESFT.INF files are just cleaned up by nLite. Comments, empty lines, etc. Good :) .

The above nLite.inf problem does not occur for more comprehensive installations but in that case another problem occurs (note WinNT32 only):

-Copying of files stops if certain WBEM files cannot be copied: napprov.mof, napschem.mof, rsop.mof, wscenter.mof, and rsop.mfl.

-This can be detected by searching for "could not be copied to" in Windows\Setuplog.txt. Without fatal copying errors "setup has completed copying" should be found.

-I do not know what the problem is, it looks like the WBEM files are actually copied (earlier?) and the error may just be an overwrite problem.

-I fixed this by taking the above file names out of TXTSETUP.sif.

-Looking at other posts, I believe that WBEM copy errors might be causing several other problems. I may be worth to keep tracking this.

Edited by BikinDutchman

i too have the same setup - integrated sp3 image and use no cd (i use manual installation option within the nlited xpsp3 real installation) to install from one partition to another( i dont use daemon tools or ms virtual cd or any iso.... i just run the setup from the folder which nlite modifies). i face same problems.... start menu shortcuts are missing e.g. no wmp no ie no calc on the start menu, drivers are not integrated properly, unattend file doesnt work so on...

also when i run manual setup with an answer file then why do i need to enter cd key etc?

i hope there is a solution to this soon!! i hope nuhi is reading this !!

Edited by pallavsuri

i hope there is a solution to this soon!! i hope nuhi is reading this !!

Pallavsuri: Nuhi is working on this.

There is a solution: look into setuplog.txt and find the copy error. After that edit TXTSETUP.sif to remove the name of the file that is causing the copy error.

For more details see my own answer to my post.

However when I use the same nLited WinXP SP3 with WinNT32 installation, hell breaks loose.

-Lots of files missing, disfunctionality, signing errors, and no Calc.exe to name one of the most visible!

-I also tried a WinNT32 installation with Vanilla WinXP SP3 and no problems there!

I looked into the differences between the installations before and after nLite and found changes to the following files:

-DEFLTWK,IN_, HIVEDEF.INF, HIVESFT.INF, SYSOC.IN_. The first two shrank by 10%, and all that for one simple tweak.

I understand well we are in the transition from SP2 to SP3, that things are difficult, so maybe I miss something:

-Does someone have a similar experience? Even tested this? Do I need to upload all nLited files?

I will greatly appreciate some insight into this problem.

I noticed the visible reduction in affected files as well, and my installation breaks, but since it is confirmed that IE7/WMP integration works fine with nlite I reckoned it was the human factor - me :)

Did you try with latest nlite?

I am trying out tonight to see if it breaks again.

All: I worked with nLite 1.4.5.b2

This is a work in progress. At this point I can only recommend to delete (comment out) the following files in TXTSETUP.sif:

-napprov.mof, napschem.mof, rsop.mof, wscenter.mof, and rsop.mfl

There may be more but for me it solved the problem, and it does not affect the CD installs

Edited by BikinDutchman

I still experience the same problems as posted here:

- Copying problems of the following files

napprov.mof, napschem.mof, rsop.mof, wscenter.mof, and rsop.mfl

- Missing IE icons on Desktop and Start menu

- Display settings from unattend are ignored

Has anyone got a solution for me?

aittersu, how do you manage that? Do you use nLite just to add addons or something? Any other programs involved?

There was a fix about when nLite is used only for integration, then this thing could happen. But if you remove at least one component or use options then it is a mystery how you got that issue, please explain.

aittersu, how do you manage that? Do you use nLite just to add addons or something? Any other programs involved?

There was a fix about when nLite is used only for integration, then this thing could happen. But if you remove at least one component or use options then it is a mystery how you got that issue, please explain.

Well.

I got a fresh Windows XP SP2 cd. I copied the complete content to a network drive.

I am still using my original $OEM$ directory in the I386 directory.

I then slipstreamed the SP3 using Nlite.

After that i try a reinstall from a DOS PXE boot environment (winnt.exe).

Copying files is ok, but during the GUI fase some files cannot be copied, including napclientprov.mof.

And when the setup is complete, the screen resolution is not taken over from the unattend.txt. also, the icons for IE are missing and the windows Firewall is not working.

aittersu, did you remove read-only from all files after copying the CD? Just checking :) .

What you report is remarkeably similar to what I experienced. Using SP2 is not a problem.

Did you modify TXTSETUP.sif as I indicated?

Well...

I commented out the five files you mentioned.

Still it came with a popup for napclientprov.mof during the GUI phase.

So i also edited wbemoc.inf with these entries:

[general]

builddate=06/May/2007

description=NR's WBEM Fix AddOn for Windows XP SP3

language=MultiLanguage

ServicePack=SP3

title=NR WBEM Fix AddOn

version=1.0

website=http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6290

Windows=XP

[ExtraFileEdits]

wbemoc.inf|napclientprov.mof|napclientprov.mof,napprov.mof|1

wbemoc.inf|napclientschema.mof|napclientschema.mof,napschem.mof|1

Still nothing helps.

I get the feeling that i might need to switch to a 32 bits PXE environment for installing XP now.

Am I the only one on this forum who still uses Winnt.exe?