Issues with large partition

SlugFiller

I have a single SATA HDD with 250GB(or 232, depending on how you count). It has allocated a single 250GB partition allocated. It was created using a linux-on-CD (Ubuntu, I believe). Chkdsk reports:

16,384 bytes in each allocation unit

15,254,800 total allocation units on disk

2,936,700 available allocation units on disk

The BIOS detects the drive just fine. DOS loads it up fine also. Running in Safe mode works fine, Windows shows no problem with the device. Same with "Force Compatibility mode disk access". Same if I have the wrong driver installed for the SATA controller(e.g. D343Port), forcing the HDD to work in compatibility mode (while still allowing ASPI-mode CDs and other 32-bit drivers). Thanks to recently-installed new versions of scandisk and defrag (I'm guessing from ME, although with all the unofficial service packs I'm not entirely sure), I can report that so long as the disk is in compatibility mode, it works 100%.

When I install the correct driver, though, Windows freezes at boot-up when loading the mpd. Verified with both bootlog and step-by-step confirmation.

Since I'm using a rather new SATA driver (not default ESDI), I find it unlikely this is an LBA48 issue with the driver. The problem also occurred with two distinct SATA controllers, with two distinct drivers (both claiming to support 9x).

I've also tried various VCache and virtual memory settings, to no effect. Though, I don't see how these would fail on a driver but work in compatibility mode.

Currently, I only have two theories as to why this is happening:

1. There is a partition size limit in 9x which none of the LBA48 articles Google returns for "large partition win98 limit" care to document (nor do Microsoft). Somehow this partition size limit does not apply in compatibility mode (Does not check size? Cares only about DMA access and not PIO? etc...)

2. I've recently noticed my chunk size is 16k (see above chkdsk report), while the default for large partitions is 32k. I'm not sure if this could cause an issue, but I do know correcting it would be an issue, as I would have to repartition my drive.

So before I start reading on how to change the chunk size with minimal back-up requirements from Ubuntu, I would like to know if anyone here knows about Win9x size limits that apply strictly to partitions and not harddrive (That means not LBA48), or has any similar experience, or generally has some information which would shed a light on the matter, and help me figure out what would or wouldn't work.

SlugFiller. What makes you sure the installed SATA driver does not use standard ESDI driver file. The simplest implementation of a compatible IDE driver is to switch SATA controller to IDE compatibility mode, and to use windows generic driver.

There were numerous posts about Windows 98 working very well with partitions larger than 137GB.

Edited by Sfor

@dandnsmith: The first thread is about limitations of the "format" and "fdisk" utilities. It doesn't mention what happens if you use third-party software to partition the drive, then attempt to use it.

The second only seems to talk about file sizes, not partitions.

@Sfor: ESDI does not appear in the required files list for the driver:

C:\Windows\System\Iosubsys\viamraid.mpd
C:\Windows\System\Vmm32\IOS.vxd
C:\Windows\System\Iosubsys\viamvsd.mpd

Also, I think I already have the unofficial ESDI installed, though I could re-install the latest version to make sure.

There were numerous posts about Windows 98 working very well with partitions larger than 137GB.

Links please?

Did they mention chunk size, etc?

The LBA48 thread is, unfortunately, not exactly reach with testimonials. The few that are there discuss disk-sizes rather than partition sizes. Usually, their large disks are divided into many small partitions.

I did find 98 Guy's post regarding his large partition. Unfortunately, he doesn't really go into detail as to how he did it. It does give me a few things to try before I resort to repartitioning my drive.

Read also: "137GB limit - ESDI-506PDR and other limits", where it all began. And do read again "Enable48BitLBA - Break the 137Gb barrier" from post #407 to the end. And there is also "Problems with 1 TB RAID". And yes, I think you ought to use v. 4.10.0.2225, patched by LLXX, unless you do have an IBM laptop. HTH

Edited by dencorso

Well, I've switch the SATA to IDE mode, went into Safe Mode, and changed the driver about 4 times until I got it to use ESDI_506.pdr instead of viamraid.mpd. Only notable difference was, it hung on startup loading ESDI_506.pdr instead of viamraid.mpd. For what it's worth, that was right after successfully loading ESDI_506.pdr for the CD drives.

ESDI version used: 4.10.2226 from LLXX.

Next, I'll try dencorso's suggestion to use 4.10.2225 instead.

Incidentally, I did read the 1TB thread. It seems the problem there was only with formatting and using scandisk, not with start-up or drivers.

Strange that no one else seems to have any similar problem...

Okay, new thought: Is it possible for a SATA controller driver to be incompatible with daemon tools?

While messing with settings, drivers, bios, etc (it would take a really long post to describe all the combinations I tried), it seems the d343port used by daemon tools got screwed up. After repairing the daemon tools installation, the device I set in place of the SATA controller now shows d343port.mpd as its driver. Except that I've set it to "VIA Bus Master PCI IDE controller", it shouldn't have d343port as its driver, it should be using vatapi.vxd.

This is quite strange. Maybe I've just messed with the settings so much I got Windows confused...

I use viasraid.mpd v. 2.0.950.220, with VSATAVSD.VXD and M$ IOS.VxD v. 4.10.0.2225 for my 160 GB SATA DRIVE SAMSUNG HD160JJ/P and 1.5 GD SATA RAM DISK Gigabyte i-RAM, without any problem. My drivers come from VIA Hyperion 4in1 v. 456. Although I can let the BIOS recognize the SATA devices with no problems (I used to do it for a long time), since I don't boot from either, I let the SATA BIOS disabled nowadays, so that they are recognized in windows by those drivers I listed above. I also have two IDE DRIVES and use esdi_506.pdr, patched by LLXX for them. Moreover I do use Daemon Tools v. 3.46 (with 3 ISOs permanently mounted) and have no trouble at all from any of these pieces of software, in my ASUS A7V600-X motherboard. In my experience, VIA 4in1 drivers are very stable, although VIA itself recomends older versions of their drivers (as the one I'm using) for optimal performance with Win 98SE. Perhaps your problem is that you are using too new a version of VIA's drivers. Try using v. 456. Good luck!

BTW, you should be using viasraid.mpd not viamraid.mpd. I don't remember why.

Edited by dencorso

I'm currently using 4in1 v443, the one recommended for 98. Works fine for my IDE controller. However, 4in1 is only vatapi, not raid.

BTW, you should be using viasraid.mpd not viamraid.mpd. I don't remember why.

Well, this seems noteworthy. Where do I get sraid? Both v-raid 560 and Hyperion v513 only have mraid as far as I can tell.

Incidentally, my ios.vxd is only 4.10.2223. Which Qxxxxxx should I be looking for?

It works! IT WORKS!! IT WO-HO-HO-HO-HORKS!!!!

Okay, getting Q239696 was easy, thanks to this forum. It was also utterly useless.

I actually had to use the Wayback Machine to find viasraid. Apparently V-Raid versions as old as 310E already have mraid. I had to go all the Wayback to V220E where it was still called "SerialATA" instead of V-Raid. Incidentally, getting the file directly from Wayback didn't work, as the archive came out corrupt (only the file list was valid). Fortunately, the direct link to the VIA-Arena download mirrors still worked, so I managed to get the file.

Well, after updating the driver, and setting the SATA mode to "Raid", my HDD is finally out of compatibility mode! Suffice to say, I really like the increased performance.

I'd like to thank all the forum members, and especially dencorso, for all of your help!

Incidentally, getting the file directly from Wayback didn't work, as the archive came out corrupt (only the file list was valid).

Cannot say if it applies to your case, but FYI:

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/?showtopic=2681&st=24

Some (most) of the downloads from www.archive.org simply miss 1 (one) byte at the end, in other words the downloaded file is one byte shorter than the original.

Since 99,999% of archive files have a few 00 bytes at the end (so called "padding"), you need to add to the file a byte with value 00.

You do not need necessarily a Hex-editor to do so.

Copy and paste the following with Notepad in a new .txt file and rename the file to pad0.cmd:

@ECHO OFF
if %1.==. GOTO :EOF
if not exist echoo.com (
echo Bj@jzh`0X-`/PPPPPPa(DE(DM(DO(Dh(Ls(Lu(LX(LeZRR]EEEUYRX2Dx=>echoo.com
echo 0DxFP,0Xx.t0P,=XtGsB4o@$?PIyU WwX0GwUY Wv;ovBX2Gv0ExGIuht6>>echoo.com
echo ?@xAyJHmH@=a?}VjuN?_LEkS?`w`s_{OCIvJDGEHtc{OCIKGMgELCI?GGg>>echoo.com
echo EL?s?WL`LRBcx=k_K?AxVD?fCo?Cd?BLDs0>>echoo.com
)
echoo.com $00>tempbin.$$$
copy /b %1 + tempbin.$$$ %1
del echoo.com
del tempbin.$$$
PAUSE

put it in the same directory where you downloaded the file, open a Command Prompt there and simply type:

pad0 filename.ext [ENTER]

or simply drag and drop the archive on the .cmd

Tested on 2K/XP, but should work with DOS/9x/ME as well. :)

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

I actually had to use the Wayback Machine to find viasraid. Apparently V-Raid versions as old as 310E already have mraid. I had to go all the Wayback to V220E where it was still called "SerialATA" instead of V-Raid. Incidentally, getting the file directly from Wayback didn't work, as the archive came out corrupt (only the file list was valid). Fortunately, the direct link to the VIA-Arena download mirrors still worked, so I managed to get the file.

SlugFiller, I'm glad to hear you've got things sorted out and that it now works. Would you please post the direct link to V220E or upload it somewhere and post the link to it? This driver is much sought after and difficult to get. In fact, I've just found out I don't know where my installer is anymore. I have it installed in my machine, and I'm positive I've saved the installer somewhere, but I just cannot find it. I was looking for it for you, but requests for it appear here from time to time, so I'd like to dowload it and save it because we do not know for how long it will remain findable on VIA's site, and better safe than sorry, right? Thanks.

Edited by dencorso

Incidentally, getting the file directly from Wayback didn't work, as the archive came out corrupt (only the file list was valid).

Cannot say if it applies to your case, but FYI:

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/?showtopic=2681&st=24

Some (most) of the downloads from www.archive.org simply miss 1 (one) byte at the end, in other words the downloaded file is one byte shorter than the original.

Since 99,999% of archive files have a few 00 bytes at the end (so called "padding"), you need to add to the file a byte with value 00.

You do not need necessarily a Hex-editor to do so.

Copy and paste the following with Notepad in a new .txt file and rename the file to pad0.cmd:

@ECHO OFF
if %1.==. GOTO :EOF
if not exist echoo.com (
)
del echoo.com
del tempbin.$$$
PAUSE

put it in the same directory where you downloaded the file, open a Command Prompt there and simply type:

pad0 filename.ext [ENTER]

or simply drag and drop the archive on the .cmd

Tested on 2K/XP, but should work with DOS/9x/ME as well. :)

jaclaz

It can not work correctly in DOS and Windows 9x. The reason is the "if not exist echoo.com (...)" and "GOTO :EOF" statements are not supported there. Still, the main code seems to be correct, as the unsupported parts are just to protect from script calls without a file name argument.

With a few correction it should work in all systems.

@ECHO OFF
if "%1"=="" GOTO END
if exist echoo.com GOTO ESKIP

:ESKIP
del echoo.com
del tempbin.$$$
PAUSE
:END

Also it is not possible to drag anything to .CMD in windows 9x, of course. The file has to be a .BAT in order to work in DOS or Windows 9x.

Edited by Sfor