XP x64 testing under QEMU and problems.

johnhc

I have run some tests using QEMU for my XP x64 guest on my XP x64 host. QEMU is rather slow (about 3-5 times real time). I started by running my original CD. It installs and seems to run fine. I then made an nLite ISO, employing the same CD as a source and adding only SP2 and unattended options and removing no components. This installed fine, except my computer name had invalid characters which I had to re-enter at install time. It runs slower than the original disk and secondary menus are very slow. Clicking on Start brings up the menu quickly but hovering over the All Program button causes the menu to start appearing very slowly. It remains mostly transparent for many seconds, possibly more than a minute. If I get impatient and try clicking before it becomes opaque, it hangs and becomes unusable. My only out is to send a ctl-alt-delete from the QEMU console and end Windows Explorer (explorer.exe) then restart it. Other menus that come up when I hover over them act the same way. I have built several more nLited versions adding SP2, 35 updates, unattended, tweaks, options and removing components. These preform as the earlier nLited DVD.

I hope someone has some ideas.

Thanks, John

1. Use spaces, it might help some...

2. What's your CPU like? Are you using some BS Celeron/AMD, and what's your ram, 256mb or less?

It runs slower than the original disk
As in the "complete installation" or during the setup? If it's during the setup then I recommend that you switch over DVD's. The aren't that expensive and if your running running the x64 architecture, then I'm sure that you can afford a DVD that costs less than a euro/dollar these days (I'm still amazed that empty/RAW CD's are still in production, excluding those used for Audio)

Running a emulated Win OS on a Win based machine, and the compiled version of QEMU for Windows hasn't even reached v.1. So don't expect it to be going smooth either. I recommend that you try VMware (or Virtual PC for free)

Seems like your app is having problems with the conversion of your current RAM for the emulated OS. So either get more RAM 1gb+ if your gonna have 2 OS's running (having the same running speccs for both) And if that's not the case, simply wait for another release or switch over to one of those emulators I recommended a couple of lines up ahead.

Chrno,

Thanks for your reply.

1. Use spaces, it might help some...

Spaces? Where, in my post?

2. What's your CPU like? Are you using some BS Celeron/AMD, and what's your ram, 256mb or less?

By today's standard, I guess I do have a BS CPU: FX-57 (2.88 GHz), 2 GB DDR500 and RAID0 of WD Raptors.

As in the "complete installation" or during the setup? If it's during the setup then I recommend that you switch over DVD's. The aren't that expensive and if your running running the x64 architecture, then I'm sure that you can afford a DVD that costs less than a euro/dollar these days (I'm still amazed that empty/RAW CD's are still in production, excluding those used for Audio)

I'm not real sure what you are getting at here. The problem with the Start menu is certainly after the systems are fully booted up.

I am using DVD+RW, and I don't worry about a few disc anyway. Installatin times are commensurate.

Running a emulated Win OS on a Win based machine, and the compiled version of QEMU for Windows hasn't even reached v.1. So don't expect it to be going smooth either. I recommend that you try VMware (or Virtual PC for free)

My last look found VMware cheapest license to be $180 and Virtual PC did not support XP x64.

I do appreciate your response and I am glad to answer you questions but I think your are a bit quick to judge my efforts and environment.

I have looked high and low for a virtual system for running XP x64 as both host and guest (including asking in this forum), finding only QEMU so far. If you have a legitimate recommendation I will be glad to check it out.

The main question I am trying to get answered is why does an nLited system with SP2 run so much slower than the original system (only SP1). See my description of the Start menu problem.

Thanks again.

John

I just ran some more tests on my original CD install on QEMU and it is having the same Start menu problem.

It looks like it is not any kind of nLite problem.

I would still like any help on what could cause this problem.

Thanks, John.

I have run some more tests and I DO NOT have a Start menu problem on either my original or the nLited guest systems. I had been running some other windows (IE, etc) and had the guest process set to priority Below Normal. I closed all other windows and set the guest priority to Above Normal and the guest responds much better and the All Programs menu opens much more quickly.

It seems obvious now, but most problems are that way after being solved.

Thanks to all.

John

Chrno,

My last look found VMware cheapest license to be $180 and Virtual PC did not support XP x64.

I do appreciate your response and I am glad to answer you questions but I think your are a bit quick to judge my efforts and environment.

I have looked high and low for a virtual system for running XP x64 as both host and guest (including asking in this forum), finding only QEMU so far. If you have a legitimate recommendation I will be glad to check it out.

The main question I am trying to get answered is why does an nLited system with SP2 run so much slower than the original system (only SP1). See my description of the Start menu problem.

Thanks again.

John

Actually, VMWare server is free and supports XP x64 as a guest. Mind you there are limitations, most obviously no sound, but then only a complete masochist would run XP x64 in a VM for anything other than testing purposes.

I use QEMU for several years (x32 on x32) and haven't seen any big (unsolvable) problem. In fact, I like it so much that I didn't even try another virtual machine.

Maybe you should try the kqemu accelerator module (IF it works for x64)?

GL

GrofLuigi,

Thanks for your reply.

I checked with the author and there is no fqemu for 64 bit OSs.

I wish there was.

I like QEMU fine, except it is a bit slow - takes about 1.5 - 2 hours to do an install.

Thanks, John.