Looking for a "new" silent switch for AVG Free 8

eddie11013

Silent install (avg not started!!)

avg_free_stf_all_8_100a1295.exe /HIDE /NO_WELCOME /NOAVGTOOLBAR /DONT_START_APPS /REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSurf /REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSearch /ADD_FEATURE fea_AVG_EmailPlugins /ADD_FEATURE fea_AVG_Exchange_plugin /ADD_FEATURE fea_AVG_EMC /ADD_FEATURE fea_AVG_Office_2000_plugin

(and /ADD_FEATURE fea_AVG_Bat_plugin if you need it... (features are shown in %temp%\avg8inst.log))

Update from folder:

"%programfiles%\avg\avg8\avgupd.exe" /pri=4 /session=0 /source=folder /path="d:\folder_wit_bin_files"

The update is a nice catch. I had found out about the avgupd.exe for downloading and updating, but not from folder. Since I've read your post, I've played around with the parameters. If you leave "/session=0" & "/pri=4" away. it will not bother you with questions about updating, it just does.

Am I the only one getting problems with updates after using these switches?

I'm running:

avg_free_stf_en_8_100a1295.exe/HIDE /NO_WELCOME /NOAVGTOOLBAR /DONT_START_APPS /REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSurf /REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSearch

and it installs fine, but when I open the program later it says: "Database update is disabled" under "Update Manager"

Here is what I came up with after a few hours of researching and experimenting with AVG 8. First of all, the command I execute the install with is:

avg_free_stf_en_8_100a1295.exe /HIDE /DONT_START_APPS /NOAVGTOOLBAR /NO_WELCOME

This keeps on the Link Search but does not install the Toolbar. If you want to remove the Link Search as well then add the following arguments

avg_free_stf_en_8_100a1295.exe /HIDE /DONT_START_APPS /NOAVGTOOLBAR /NO_WELCOME

/REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSurf /REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSearch

Then after I update AVG by running the following

C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgupd.exe /PRI=5

This silently installs all of the updates for AVG 8 (PRI=5 means High Priority, Recommended, and Optional)

Next I copy over my custom settings in AVG. In order to get these settings, install AVG and go to the User Interface. Under Tools > Preferences set the options however you want. I personally turn off daily scanning and turn off the notifications when AVG completes an update. After this is done, save your changes and exit AVG. Navigate to:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\avg8\Cfg

These config files in this folder are all of the user preferences and settings saved. So after I finish my update above, I copy over my custom config files to this directory to turn off scanning and other preferences.

The next thing to do is to get rid of the "Did You Know" notification. This can be done by deleting the following file:

C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgmwdef_us.mht

Notifications gone right? Wrong. Since the latest definition updates to AVG, there has been another notification added, something along the lines of "Enhance your protection now". Again, to get rid of this notification, one file needs to be deleted:

C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgresf.dll

(Note: this file will only appear after AVG is up to date)

Finally, I remove the dekstop shortcut created and voila...AVG 8 is installed unattendedly.

@Ralin The "Database update is disabled" under "Update Manager" goes away after running the update. I suggest running:

This will remove that error.

@eddie11013 I attached my AutoIt script for this installation. Enjoy. Just FYI my directory structure is as follows:

>AVG

>Config

>krnl.cfg

>mail.cfg

>scan.cfg

>sched.cfg

>update.cfg

>user.cfg

>avg_free_stf_en_8_100a1295.exe

>install.au3

install.au3

Edited by toastycheese678

Am I the only one getting problems with updates after using these switches?

I'm running:

avg_free_stf_en_8_100a1295.exe/HIDE /NO_WELCOME /NOAVGTOOLBAR /DONT_START_APPS /REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSurf /REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSearch

and it installs fine, but when I open the program later it says: "Database update is disabled" under "Update Manager"

I get this too but as mentioned above, it goes away once AVG is updated manually.

@Ralin The "Database update is disabled" under "Update Manager" goes away after running the update. I suggest running:

This will remove that error.

Confirmed, thanks :-)

• 1 month later...

"AVG 8.0.exe" /hide /no_welcome /REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSurf /REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSearch /NOAVGTOOLBAR

Seems to work for me...

But does anyone know how to disable the scheduled scan?

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi.

Don't mean to bump the thread - Just thought I'd post here instead of creating a new one.

Is there anyway to get the SCRIPT_FILE switch to work with relative paths? In avg 7.5 Free I could set the path to the config ini file using relative paths - No such luck with 8.5.

In way of example:

D:\
+AVG
- avg.exe
- avg_cfg.ini

In 7.5 I could use the following command:

start /wait avg.exe /SCRIPT_FILE \avg\avg_cfg.ini

In 8.5 I get a Script cannot be parsed error and have to use the absoloute path.

Any ideas??

Thanks.