Looking for a "new" silent switch for AVG Free 8

eddie11013

In the past I have used the following switch for AVG Free without any problems. This switch did not seem to work this time. It installed silently, however, the updater “database” keep saying there was an error. When I installed the ‘exe’ normally there were no issues.

AVG_Free_STF_en_8_100a1295 http://free.grisoft.com/doc/avg-anti-virus-free/

/HIDE /DONT_START_APPS /NO_WELCOME /NO_AVGW_STARTUP /QUIT_IF_INSTALLED

Thanks in advance for any guidance,

Eddie

Hi Eddie,

I don't know if there is a switch or not, but as a workaround, you could do the following"

While you have avg8 running, configure it as you like. Copy the files in the directory

%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\avg8\Cfg

to the install directory where avg8 is stored.

After an installation of avg8 copy these config files back to "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\avg8\Cfg"

And you have avg running as you like.

Hope it'll helps.

Thanks, jjvs

That 'kinda' worked, but there were some issues. I "had" setup AVG 8 the way I wanted, which included "not" having the "Yahoo toolbar", then I made the 'cab' with the "old" switch and installed same. Then I 'deleted' the 'new' "cfg", which were only two files, and replaced it with my previously saved '6' cfg files. I was able to update without issue and all seemed well. Then I opened up the Internet, and first thing I see is a warning from AVG that the spyware component cannot connect, I had of course selected that it not be installed previously, and there was also the matter that it installed the "Yahoo Toolbar", which I had also said not to install.

So while "your" workaround did work, thanks again, I didn't really get what I really wanted, which is a "smooth overall" silent install configured the way "I" want. Which gets back to the "old switch" just isn't going to cut it.

Thanks again,

Eddie

Great find! Thanks, bbrian

That seems to have worked. I uninstalled previous installation, (FYI, there are a number of folders left behind after uninstalling, have to remove manually, do a search for 'avg'), used nlite addon maker to make my cab, and installed. Rebooted. Installation went smoothly and no toolbar. Another FYI, in Add & Remove you will find: AVG free 8.0 "AND" Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable.

Haven't done a virtual box install yet, but usually if I can install the switchless installer that is created by the nlite addon maker without any problems, then usually everything works.

Will post back if I find out otherwise.

Again, thanks bbrian.

That's great news just got Vers 8 yesterday. Is this required twice in the switch?

/REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSurf
/REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSearch

It's surf and search, rather than repeating itself. The AVG Free FAQ has both listed, so I guess so, though safe-surf isn't part of AVG Free.

That's great news just got Vers 8 yesterday. Is this required twice in the switch?

/REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSurf
/REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSearch

It's surf and search, rather than repeating itself. The AVG Free FAQ has both listed, so I guess so, though safe-surf isn't part of AVG Free.

Thanks man must have been half asleep when read that post. I love this place always someone to lend a hand.

Just an FYI.

I uninstalled my previous version of AVG Free 7.5, being careful to also search for and delete any remnants found in C:\, etc. After words, I installed AVG Free 8.0. Set it up as I desired. Then I went to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AVG 8\cfg. Copied the contents to a new folder. Extracted the contents of the setup file, avg_free_stf_en_8_100a1295.exe, to its own folder. Copied the previously saved “cfg” files to this folder. (They included, I believe the following four files: krnl.cfg, mail.cfg, sched.cfg and user.cfg.) Using the nlite addon maker and using the following switches in conjunction with the “avgsetup.exe“: /hide /no_welcome /NOTOOLBAR , I made a cab. I extracted the ‘silent installer’ from this cab. At this stage, I uninstalled AVG free 8.0, again being careful to uninstall in remnants in C:\. I also uninstalled the “Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable” that is installed when you execute the avg setup file. It should also be noted that ‘AVG’ states that you “CANNOT” have AVG anti-spy ware or Spyware Blaster installed on your machine. They are ‘not’ compatible. Therefore, I also uninstalled those. I executed my ‘silent installer’. It installed smoothly and without issue. When I opened the Internet, there was no ‘Yahoo toolbar’. Great.

I then tried the ‘cab’ in a virtual machine. No go. Failure. BSOD.

End result, if you want to do ‘this’ procedure, you will at least, have a “silent installer” that you can apply after a ’new’ installation. Don’t know if you can run this ’silent installer’ as a ’runonce’ thingy. I will let someone else check that out. Or maybe an ’autoit’ script would work. I tried to make an ’autoit’ but I got stopped where I wanted to uncheck the box to install the ’toolbar’, I don’t know the keyboard command’s to get around that. But maybe this is one of those programs, like Zone Alarm, that just can’t be slipstreamed.

That’s it. The end.

Thanks to jjvs for his guidance.

Good luck and post back if you find an easier working solution.

Eddie

Or maybe an 'autoit' script would work. I tried to make an 'autoit' but I got stopped where I wanted to uncheck the box to install the 'toolbar', I don't know the keyboard command's to get around that. But maybe this is one of those programs, like Zone Alarm, that just can't be slipstreamed.

That's it. The end.

Thanks to jjvs for his guidance.

Good luck and post back if you find an easier working solution.

Eddie

Hi

To check/uncheck boxes, try Send("{SPACE}").

Edit:try

Send("{TAB 2}")
Send("{SPACE}")
Send("{TAB 2}")
Send("{SPACE}")

on that window (if you don't know how to use Control functions which are more reliable).

Edited by radix

@radix

Try as I might, I just can't seem to make it come out right. I used your suggestion for the 'space' bar and it seems to work, on to a finished installation. But, when you 'click' on the "A" to stop and then finalize this part and save it, the final result is an already finalized 'au3', that looks like a 'word' document instead of the "autoit" icon, which is bogus. Doesn't let me compile, if you right click on this 'word' au3 their is no normal autoit menu??? And if you click on it, it goes to installing. That's not right.

Perhaps I could persuade you to make me an AVG Free 8 script, without the toolbar, of course. I can then use that to make a cleaner 'silent installer' via the 7-zip method, like I/we did for Zone Alarm.

Thanks in advance,

Eddie

Silent install (avg not started!!)

avg_free_stf_all_8_100a1295.exe /HIDE /NO_WELCOME /NOAVGTOOLBAR /DONT_START_APPS /REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSurf /REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSearch /ADD_FEATURE fea_AVG_EmailPlugins /ADD_FEATURE fea_AVG_Exchange_plugin /ADD_FEATURE fea_AVG_EMC /ADD_FEATURE fea_AVG_Office_2000_plugin

(and /ADD_FEATURE fea_AVG_Bat_plugin if you need it... (features are shown in %temp%\avg8inst.log))

Update from folder:

"%programfiles%\avg\avg8\avgupd.exe" /pri=4 /session=0 /source=folder /path="d:\folder_wit_bin_files"