Is Windows XP Service Packs affect performance ?

donixa

Im sorry if i re-post,

Is Windows XP Service Packs affect performance ?

From my experience, it does have a difference, it much more slower, but i could be misleading, im not an expert IT guy, even though my college title is IT,

since u guys play alot with SP and performance issue, i think u guys know the answers,

im planning to customized XP instalation tomorow, i already try to make one installer today for just testing and get a feel with nLite, the installer reduced to 146mb from 488mb,

the CD is original XP, no SP

what i know is SP more related to security issues (which i really dont care now...)

i do care alot with performance,

my pc is just P3 550 Mhz, 512mb

its a 9 years old system.... when i buy it, it was $1300, can u believe it ?

It was the latest hardware,

even a guy or at nLite website (i forget) saying rather to use optimized Windows 2000 rather than thinking about Windows 98, thats interesting,

actually i like Windows 2000, when i use it, it much stable for me...

so my plan should be simple, since i just want to remove all the crap, install two 3rd party driver (sound/cable modem), and use portables apps

there is not much i need with windows xp, (ICF, sharing files on LAN,...)

not like u guys add here and there, integrate this and that :hello:

Thank you,

Service packs do not usually provide performance enhancements. However, SP2 might be the exception, notice the might be. In some cases, yes, in others, not. If I were you, I would wait a few more days to integrate SP3 (supposed to RTW Monday). At least, integrate SP2. SPs are not ONLY about security.

For Windows 2000, it's up to you. For that kind of power, I would use 2000, but if you're fine with XP, it's okay too. It's just my opinion.