It´s some ones birthday!

puntoMX

(The dandelion picture is my favorite :))

Those are some whopping big pictures. 3 to 3.5MB each.

I liked the daffodils and azaleas but the dandelions I couldn't find. :P

There is an odd orange fringe on the sunny side of the daffodils or is my comp. doing something weird?

Glad you had a good birthday.

Mark

Those are some whopping big pictures. 3 to 3.5MB each.
That's what comes with a 10MP CMOS sensor and a good quality JPEG compressor. The RAW files that the camera spits out are about 15MB each IIRC. :wacko:
I liked the daffodils and azaleas but the dandelions I couldn't find. :P
Daffodils... dandelions... they're all just flowers to me. My girlfriend is the one who likes them. When it comes time to buy her flowers though, that's when the names really matter. ;)
There is an odd orange fringe on the sunny side of the daffodils or is my comp. doing something weird?
Did you mean just on the very edge of the petals? I see it as well, but I'd think that the color is fairly accurate. It could just be the shadowing of the sunlight on the "back" of the petals. The sun was off to the right and slightly behind me, so it's possible that I caught some of the shadowed side of the flowers.

Did you mean just on the very edge of the petals?

Yes, at the very edge. Since you see it also, I went and Googled it. I found this article: Digital camera lens overviewOn that page, scroll down to the picture of the front of a house, click on the picture and look at the color along the bottom edge of the garage doors. The preceding paragraph talks about the 'aberrations' and why they are there. Thanks for getting me to look it up, :P, as I enjoy photography but decline to do so currently. I have 2 SLR's and I am not about to spend the money on film and processing. My next camera will be digital.

And since we are on the subject of cameras. One of the nicest cameras out there in the novice/enthusiast range is the Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ50. Not an SLR but it's capabilities are amazing and the price is great for what it does. The reviews are consistently good with the only negatives being a slightly heavy bulk and the one negative I would give it is in the viewfinder. I don't like the pixilated image you get. I like to be able to clearly see what I am taking a picture of. A friend of mine bought one and he is thoroughly happy with it. He ( and his wife ) even made an award winning DVD with the images he made with this camera and another camera. Like I said, it is an amazing camera for what it is.Found here.

Mark

I'm not surprised that the kit lens suffers from that kind of aberration. It is after all, just a kit lens. Once I save up a bit of money, I'll be getting something a lot better. :)

I had picked up one of those Panasonic DMC-FZ50 cameras back in the fall (it was on sale for $125 off) and played with it for a weekend. I'm not entirely sure why, but the images I took with it didn't turn out that well. I have a bit of a feeling that it was the image stabilization, but in either case, there was pretty bad pixelation in a lot of the pictures. (See here) I have a feeling that the image stabilization is at fault, since it was on by default.

It may have been a combination of things on the picture you took with the FZ50. You had it on shutter priority with it set to 1/1000 of a second and you were at almost max zoom. Either way, it is very 'grainy'. The image stabilization may have saved it from being worse. 420mm focal length and handheld(?) is a pretty good zoom to try to keep steady. This is where what I called pixelated image in the viewfinder comes into play. You don't really see what you are getting.

I don't know anything about the camera you have now but the orange fringe I mentioned was at a location where there was very high contrast. I wouldn't be to hard on the lens being a 'kit' lens just yet. See how the camera behaves with a better lens. It was still a good picture.

Mark