upgrading from Win98se to XPpro

MikeyHunt

ok, I'm trying to decide if its worth the expense to install XP on a Pent3 /566 with 512mb memory?

Or would it not be worth it , since it would operate too slowly? (I'm told)

Can XP install on top of 98se? What problems might I expect if I do this?

or am I better off staying with 98se on this box and riding it as far as it goes?

Computer is 7 years old and has been pretty good (until recently).

Thanks.

There is no certain answer for your question.

You did not said what do you want to do with your computer. And yet more important question is why your computer is not sufficient for you, any more.

There is no certain answer for your question.

You did not said what do you want to do with your computer. And yet more important question is why your computer is not sufficient for you, any more.

I use it for regular internet surfing - light to medium use. It's 7 years old now and starting to 'get cranky'.

It's also getting harder to find 98se compatible software.

My concern is that the box is too old and not enough memory to run XP efficiently. Is this correct?

Perhaps I'm better off buying a new computer (always :lol: )

Can XP install on top of 98se? or would I just be asking for problems?

Edited by MikeyHunt

You computer will run just fine. In addition you can use nLite to tweak and remove necessary components from your XP install. I have one Pent2 (not my primary computer :lol: ), 350MHz and 256MB of RAM, running XP just fine. Since your have 512 RAM and faster processor, you'll be fine.

It might be possible, but I would not recommend it. You should do clean install, and you should convert your partitions to NTFS.

Cheers ;)

Edited by mara-

You computer will run just fine. In addition you can use nLite to tweak and remove necessary components from your XP install. I have one Pent2 (not my primary computer :lol: ), 350MHz and 256MB of RAM, running XP just fine. Since your have 512 RAM and faster processor, you'll be fine.

It might be possible, but I would not recommend it. You should do clean install, and you should convert your partitions to NTFS.

Cheers ;)

Cool. Thats what I was hoping. Thanks

Mike, it'll work just fine for those uses. You may want to check and be sure your hardware was XP capable. But you'll really enjoy the ease of use and security you'll get with Windows XP. Don't bother messing with nLite. More trouble than it's worth. You're best off with a nice clean plain vanilla Windows install. :)

I’m running XP on one of my BX/Pentium III’s and it works just fine. Find the latest bios you can for your motherboard preferably dated 2001 or later and disable video shadowing, system bios caching and video bios caching. It’ll make setup go much more smoothly.