Hard drive letter assignments

MSNwar

A friend formatted his hard drive and performed a clean install of XP Pro. He has two hard drives and both are connected to the primary IDE connector on the motherboard. One hd is jumpered as the Master and the other is jumpered as Slave. The Master is connected on the end of the cabel and the Slave is connected to the middle connector of the cabel. The BIOS reads One Primary and One Slave. On the secondary IDE channel he has a DVD Drive and a CD bruner.

He formatted his Master and performed a clean install of XP Pro. XP recognizes the Primary as drive letter F and the slave as C. We tried to change the drive letters through XPs Computer Management > Disk Management and learned that we cannot change the drive letter of the system volume or boot volume.

Any ideas?

Thanks

MSNwar - The FatMan

BigBooger. I visited annoyances.org and found the information very helpfull.

Reverend. Thanks for the suggestion.

We will give Partition Magic a try and let you know how it turns out.

Thanks

MSNwar - The FatMan

[b:ff85b2c9d5]MSNwar-[/b:ff85b2c9d5] Partition Magic can cause way too many problems then the program is worth, they say its Xp compatiable, but it messes with Xp. If i were you i would back up your data, and fdisk the both hard drive, put the primary dos on the master and the extended with a logical on the slave...this should solve your problem.

-drew