This News I have To Share With You Guys!

vegettoxp

Hello there Guys, I just had to share this BREAKING NEWS with you guys. It finally paid of having my cousin work at INTEL. So I got a call on Tuesday (March 18, 2008) from my Cousin say if I wanted a Processor and of course I said hell ya. So guys guess what Processor I got? Give Up?

The Processor I got is “Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9770 Processor”. Clocked at 3.2GHz with 12MB of Cache and with 1600MHz Front Side Bus. (Ya Baby!) I was building a New Rig Anyway. I was planning to get the Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450, but getting the Extreme Edition Instead is Welcome Any Day.

1) Buy X48 Chipset Motherboard: Guys, the BIGGEST Question is, do I need to BUY X48 Chipset Based Motherboard for this Processor. I know that Asus Maximus Formula SE does support 1600FSB after a Bios Update, but from what I understand that 1600FSB isn’t OFFICIALLY Supported. So can you guys give me your comments on what should I do.

2) Air Cooling Solution Recommendations: I am guessing that “Thermalright” is gona be the front Runner, Am I right? If any other’s Please share. Over-Clocking right now I am not sure. (Maybe Yes or Maybe No)!

3) Memory Recommendations: I am looking at getting the 4GB (2xGB) sticks with the PC-8500. I have narrowed the list to Three Brands. If you guys have any other recommendations, Please share them.

OCZ - Reaper 4GB (2xGB)

G-Skill - 4GB (2xGB)

Crucial Ballistix - 4GB (2xGB)

4) Power Supply Recommendations: I have the Consair HX620 Watts right now. Is this enough for my Rig or Do I need to get another one?

Quick Rig Config Info:

Case – Cooler-Master Stacker 830

Processor – Intel Core 2 Extreme 3.2GHz W/1600MHz FSB

Motherboard – Asus Maximus Formula SE

Memory – Starting point 4GB

Graphic Card – Either nVidia 9600GT or 9800GT (No SLI Setup)

Sound-Card – Asus DX2 (PCI-E)

1 – WD Raptor

3 – 4 - Extra Storage Hard Drives

1 – DVD Burner (Samsung)

1 – Blu-Ray Rom (Pioneer)

TV-Turner – Either LeadTek or WinTV

The New Zalman LCD Fan Controller

8 Blue-LED Fans

Plus whatever I am forgetting.

you lucky son of a b***h! if you dont overclock the hell outta that thing then i will have to hunt you down and kick your a** :)

for ram i like the mushkin redline 2x2GB kit, i have a set for myself, real high clockers.

for cooling, come on man, get water for the proc! lol. if you really want air then the thermalright ultra extreme

for video get 8800GTS G92 or 8800GT G92 unless you want to wait for the 9800GT to come out whenever that is

your psu is good

cant comment on an x48 mobo at the moment

for tv tuner, i chose the ati 650 pci-e, works very well for me

now go have some fun

Edited by ripken204

1) Buy X48 Chipset Motherboard: Guys, the BIGGEST Question is, do I need to BUY X48 Chipset Based Motherboard for this Processor. I know that Asus Maximus Formula SE does support 1600FSB after a Bios Update, but from what I understand that 1600FSB isn't OFFICIALLY Supported. So can you guys give me your comments on what should I do.

The only way you're going to get official support for the 1600MHz FSB is either with an Intel X48 or NVIDIA 790i based motherboard.

One word of caution. Be careful if you get an X48 motherboard that uses DDR2. I'm not sure if they fixed the "problem" in the X48, but I have an X38 motherboard that uses DDR2 (Asus P5E) and memory support seems to be a bit quirky. As an example, Crucial recently decertified their Ballistix Tracers on X38 DDR2 motherboards. My P5E is stable as all get out, but it took a bit of tweaking to get it there. Just keep in mind that the X38/X48 chipsets don't officially support DDR2. However, DDR3 prices are high enough that putting up with some minor headaches was well worth it to me.

Thx for your guys comments. I am still not sure about the Motherboard Situation. I am gona wait untill X48 Officially is Launched and then make my decision. I might have to sell my Asus Maximus SE, if I plan to go the way of X48 Chipset.

And ripken204, I really had fun reading your reply. Regarding the over-clocking, I am gona look into your request. I don't plan to do any water-cooling. And the Video Card, depends on the Release date of 9800GT. Then I will make my decision.

Got some more...

2) Air Cooling Solution Recommendations: I am guessing that "Thermalright" is gona be the front Runner, Am I right? If any other's Please share. Over-Clocking right now I am not sure. (Maybe Yes or Maybe No)!

I just read a review of Noctua's new NH-U12P HSF. The numbers they got coupled with how silent the thing is put it at the top of my list for a new HSF.

Edited by nmX.Memnoch

I just read a review of Noctua's new NH-U12P HSF. The numbers they got coupled with how silent the thing is put it at the top of my list for a new HSF.
Not bad indeed, but this part:
However, the Noctua cooler with two fans at $90 is not cheap...

Scared the sh*t out of me and even worse my customers, let alone the extra shipping cost as not much stores have it or can get it (for now)...

I like the Coolermaster HX212 by the way, they are cheap and do there job well, also are well made :).

I expect they'll be hitting more than just enthusiast stores pretty soon. Plus the Thermalright Ultra 120, it's closest competitor, is already ~$60USD without any fans. The Noctua NH-U12P is ~$70USD and includes one high-quality, high-performance, ultra-quiet fan. By the time you add a good Scythe or even a Noctua fan to the Thermalright you're looking at $75-80USD easy. That makes the Noctua a better deal IMO. How much is your peace and quiet worth to you? :)

Also, two fans aren't really necessary as proved by the review.

Hello there Guys, I am leaning more and more towards buy the Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme Air Cooling Solution for my Core 2 Extreme Processor. A lot of people have recommended me the Thermalright, so I am gona go with them. I have read that in order to have the right Balance, I need to have the right Fan for the Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme.

To Sum up my Questions:

1) Which Fan I should buy for Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme?

2) Also wanted to know if the Fan Holding Clips are Strong on the Ultra-120 eXtreme to hold the Fans?

3) Which Fans can I use on my Ultra-120 eXtreme that are Blue LED?

4) What number of Fans would you guys recommend me on the Ultra-120 eXtreme?

So if you guys can answer these questions for me, I am gona order the Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme over the weekend. I am gona take your guys recommendation and I am gona go with Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme as the Air Solution for my Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9770 (Ya Baby)! Thx for all the help guys!

P.S. Fusion

I've got a Scythe Slipstream 500RPM fan on my TRUE right now, and it keeps my Q6600 at 42C at load. I'm sure that with a higher speed fan it would run even cooler. The slipstream fans are fantastic. :yes:

Just get one fan for the TRUE. Two fans won't gain you much cooling performance, and in some cases, can make it worse.

The fan clips are strong enough. You don't need extreme amounts of pressure there - just enough to hold the fan in place.

Hello there Guys. I have been thinking a lot about my Motherboard Situation. As many of you may know, I bought the Asus Maximus Formula SE at the end of last year knowing that I was gona put the Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 in it. But ever since I got the Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9770 Processor, I have been double minded. And the thing that I am fighting with is the OFFICIAL SUPPORT FOR 1600FSB on the X48 Chipset.

I know that a lot of the X38 Including my Asus MAxumus Supports 1600FSB after Bios Up, but it's an UNOFFICIAL Suport for 1600FSB on the X38 Chipset. I went online and found that the "ASUS RAMPAGE FORMULA LGA 775 Intel X48 ATX Intel Motherboard" is indeed DDR2 Based Motherboard. I am not gona buy a Motherboard that is Based on DDR3. It's just too freaken EXPENSIVE.

So this is where I need your guys help.I need to know if I should go ahead and Sell my Asus Maximus Formula SE (X38 Chipset) and Get me the "ASUS RAMPAGE FORMULA LGA 775 Intel X48 ATX Intel Motherboard" (X48 Chipset and OFFICAL 1600FSB Suport). I wanna play Safe with my motherboard situation.

I know there isn't alot of difference between X38 and X48 Chipset. But I just want to make sure that I won't be Sorry Later. I am Pretty sure that Asus is gona release "ASUS RAMPAGE FORMULA SE (Maybe) and ASUS RAMPAGE FORMULA EXTREME", but I don't really care about these last two models. I think I should be ok with "ASUS RAMPAGE FORMULA LGA 775 Intel X48 ATX Intel Motherboard."

So any you guys share your comments/recommendations on what I should do with my Situation? I don't think I am gona have a lot of trouble selling the Asus Maximus SE. One of my friend is willing to pay $200 for the board, which with me would be ok. So please share your thoughts.THX!

Also When is the OFFICAL RELEASE Date of X48 Anyway?

P.S. Fusion :thumbup