Girl needs help here...

Samantha

Hi,

One question about Windows... not a typical one perhaps.

My brother put a computer together for me, I'm using Windows XP... his Windows XP. He says that it would be good if I was updating it

regularly. My question is: since the computer sends my information to Microsoft site to get the updates, won't I get in trouble for using Windows I didn't buy? Do they look at the serial number or whatever when I connect to them? I apprieciate your answers.

Samantha

[b:15e4a5af6b]Samantha[/b:15e4a5af6b] - Howdy, and welcome to the board.

about your question, no MS site does not scan your computer or look at your key. all it simply does is when you go to windowsupdates.com in IE (internet explorer) it locates to see when you logged in and what you downloaded. It also reconizes your hardware and what updates you need, it does not send any info about you or what XP your using. Thousands and thousands of poeple are doing the same as you are. I for one have my XP installed on 3 computers and have no promblems. Alot of people are using illegal installes of XP as well and get updates all the time. Dont worrie about what you hear you will not be in trouble or get into trouble for going to the website and updating your OS.Hope that helped and if you ever need anything else be sure to let myself or anyone else at MSFN know, we are here to help.

-XPerties

I agree wholeheartedly with XPerties, he seems to be a whiz for words. If you are a nutt-case who is constantly peeking over you shoulder to see if the Bill Gates Pirate Squad [b:839ae6c3f1](BGPS)[/b:839ae6c3f1] is after you, then I'd say get a legit copy from the store to help relieve some of your anxiety.

If however, you don't care being a theif of intellectual property, as thousands of folks are, then by all means use it to your hearts content.

Big Booger

Hey! Im a sucker for a woman who needs help. Its the men who can kiss my a** around here, you guys are so rude and crude....Im not your type, I have a sensitive side....Im a gentalman.....I worship woman, They are my king and I follow them as there slave.

-XPerties