latest VLC player no longer works

Bleeder

It appears that the latest VLC player 0.8.6e no longer works on Windows 98. It complains about unicode support. Has anyone found a workaround, or can someone recommend another media player application that still supports Windows 98?

I just wanted to post this, but then I saw that you already mentioned it.

Probably you'll have to download unicows.dll. Put the dll in your system directory

Nope, that won't make any difference. Besides that, the new VLC doesn't even work with KernelEx.

Well, that's it, 0.8.6d is the final VLC for Windows9X.

That was unpleasent surprise for me too because there's no problem with 0.8.6d version.

But I was even more surprised when I have installed (just for curiosity) latest nightly build (version 9.0) and it works under Win98SE!

Btw, Bleeder you can download latest release of Media Player Classic 6.4.9.1 from here: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=205650

Edited by rainyd

That was unpleasent surprise for me too because there's no problem with 0.8.6d version.

But I was even more surprised when I have installed (just for curiosity) latest nightly build (version 9.0) and it works under Win98SE!

That's interesting, I think I'll try that one out. But I guess it won't be long until the nightlies won't work as well.

For anyone that is already searching a "replacement" for VLC, I can warmly suggest the KMPlayer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_KMPlayer

The Wikipedia Page only lists Win2K+ in the compatibility list, but that's just BS - the latest version works perfectly under '98 and there's not even a warning a la "this OS is not supported" like it could already be seen in the last VLC versions when you installed them on Win9X. Maybe there are a lot more VLC alternatives, but KMPlayer is already darn good, maybe even better than VLC.

Edited by snob

Snob, I'm sure that you've seen that meassage on VLC page:

Windows 95/98/Me users: Please note that these versions of Windows are not officially supported. No VideoLAN developer uses any of these systems, which makes them hard to support. VLC should mostly work with them, but some incompatibilities might appear. You might need to download The Microsoft Layer for Unicode on Windows 95/98/Me Systems. The two MSLU files need to be put in the C:\Windows\System\ folder.

Maybe they broke something in this release because this is strange that stable build doesn't work and nightly works.

Thanks for the suggestion about KMPlayer - I'll check it. :)

Edited by rainyd

Yup, I've read that message... it's actually quite old; I think they've posted it in mid-2006 or something: but as you know, all VLC until now worked on Win9X anyway. (it's the same with Java 1.6: when you install it, you always get a message that it's not officially supported on '98, but it works anyway)

Maybe they broke something in this release because this is strange that stable build doesn't work and nightly works.

I just tried out the latest nightly (svn-2008-02-28) as well and now I know why it works, but the new 0.8 version doesn't: The 0.9 branch uses QT for the interface (that's why it looks more modern than 0.8), but the 0.8 versions use wxWidgets - and the latest wxWidget libraries don't work under Win9X anymore, but the newest QT versions are still 100% compatible. So it seems like VLC isn't dead on Windows9X yet, it's just the 0.8-branch that can't be used anymore. :thumbup

For anyone that is already searching a "replacement" for VLC, I can warmly suggest the KMPlayer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_KMPlayer
Controversy

There has been research that The KMPlayer uses GPL code in the program. The developer maintains that it has been written in Borland Delphi from scratch, although in a later and contradictory response from another developer, they have deleted any visible GPL parts bundled with the product, or including the GPL license on the infringing part.

...so, what about XULPlayer ? :sneaky:

Edited by patchworks

"In the meantime I've tried KMPlayer but I've got message about runtime error (Microsoft Visual C++ library).
KMPlayer should definitely work because it's 100% Win9X compatible - I've got the latest version running on this machine and it works flawlessly without any warnings or error messages. I've not even had problems with earlier versions, but maybe you should try to reinstall it again or check if it's the latest version. It's definitely worth it (and no, the authors don't pay me for saying that ;))
...so, what about XULPlayer ? :sneaky:
Well, nice idea. But that one doesn't even work under Windows9X at all. And AFAIK it never did.

I've had KMPlayer installed on my machine for some time and I performed some tests. As soon as I uninstalled KernelEx, KMPlayer started crashing at startup. So apparently it works fine only as long as KernelEx is installed, which is not an acceptable alternative for all Win9x users.

Besides that, loading songs in a playlist is painfully slow with really many items (2-4 thousand).

I'm also looking for a decent Win9x media player but couldn't find one. The closest I got was GOMPlayer, but on this 400MHz CPU is just unusable for videos - the Gretech codecs or whatever else, are just too slow and choppy.

Haven't tried VLC 0.8.6e - I'm a bit reluctand to screwing up the previous version.

Personally I use Windows Media Player 6.0 with ffdshow (the July 2007 version, as the newest one's installer tries to use an API not available in Win95). I've tried VLC before, but WMP 6.0 was snappier.

- Subtitles support?

- Incomplete/damaged files support?

- Codecs/Filters exception list? (anyone else having crashes in GTCODEC.DLL installed/used by webcam?)

- User-friendly, rich-featured playlist?

- Low on resources on low-end machines?

Which of the above-mentioned players can do all these and still be free(ware)/open-source?

- Subtitles support?

- Incomplete/damaged files support?

- Codecs/Filters exception list? (anyone else having crashes in GTCODEC.DLL installed/used by webcam?)

- User-friendly, rich-featured playlist?

- Low on resources on low-end machines?

Which of the above-mentioned players can do all these and still be free(ware)/open-source?

Gomplayer