MetaRAM quadruples DDR2 DIMM capacities, launches 8GB DIMMs

Zxian

Since its launch in January 2006, the only thing that has been publicly known about former AMD CTO Fred Weber's new venture is its name: MetaRAM. Clearly, the stealth-mode company was working on something to do with RAM, but what? As of today, MetaRAM is finally ready to talk about its technology, and it appears to be a pretty solid evolutionary step for the tried-and-true SDRAM DIMM module. In short, MetaRAM's technology enables DIMM capacity increases of two or four times, so that a single DDR2 MetaSDRAM DIMM can hold 4GB or 8GB of memory while still being a drop-in replacement for a normal DIMM.

Source - ars technica

its nice that they have that now but they have to make it faster. 667 is pathetic.

DDR2-667 is what you'd still get with many server setups. For certain applications, the bottleneck is not the speed of the RAM, but rather the quantity.

Sure.. it'd be nice. Two problems though. DDR2-1000 is not a standard DDR2 speed, and therefore would never be used in a production environment. Secondly, why would you get DDR2-1000 (which would cost more to produce) when DDR2-667 works just fine?

I've got 20 Dell servers here in my research lab, all running 8GB (4x2GB) of DDR2-667 FBDIMMs. I can think of plenty of people within my research group who would LOVE to get another 8GB per system (myself included), but at current FBDIMM costs, that's just not an option for us (you wanna buy us eighty 2GB FBDIMM sicks at $150 each? :)). At $200 per stick for 8GB, that upgrade suddenly becomes MUCH more viable.

Prices based on previous topic.

Eighty 2GB FBDIMM = Total of 160GB at $12,000

Twenty 8GB MetaRAM = Total of 160GB at $4000

You could buy 480GB of MetaRAM for the same price as it would cost you to buy 160GB FBDIMM, id choose that over DDR2-1000 anyday even if they are DDR2-667.

Edited by LegoLiamâ„¢

adoptation reduces prices.

if der are more need the price will go down (NORMALLY) as more quantitymay be produced with much less cost (general economics)

dont mis understand me , i just know the basic eco., not a pro

but with commonsense we can say the same.

however the x86 to x86-64 will transition make it happen.