USB mouse troubles

kekk0

Hi,

some time ago I switched from a ps2 mouse to a trust MI-2540D usb mouse, but when I started using it I noticed it sometimes freezes the cursor on screen for one secont or two then it works again. It happens randomly every few seconds/minutes and while the cursor is frozen, even the buttons input is not detected by the pc. I already tried to remove the old mouse from the peripheral list and restart, no way.

My pc is an athlon xp 2600+ on nforce2 based asus a7n8x-x, os xp sp2 always updated. I don't have viruses or malware of any kind.

Can someone please help me?

Thanks in advance!

It seems the only way is to test it with another USB mouse. Sadly, Trust isn’t really a brand (mostly known in the Benelux, but outside the Benelux it’s almost unknown), they buy cheap products and print/stick there logo on it. If possible go with Logitech next time ;).

Thanks for your replies.

Actually I already changed 2 mice, same brand/model. They all worked ok with other pcs, so it's something wrong with my pc. I'd like to avoid reinstalling xp, I guess it's something related to software/drivers because usb ports works perfectly with any other usb device I use (pen drives, cameras, printers, modems, cell phones...)

Any idea?

Edited by kekk0

• 3 weeks later...

I reinstalled the OS and the problem is still there, even if now happens a bit less frequently. I guess it's something related to my chipset (nforce2) or maybe ts drivers (5.10)...

I've had mouse problems in the past and these are the things I had tried.

1. See how the performance is while connected using a PS2 adapter.

2. Check your surface compared to the other places it worked. There may be a tolerance difference with the optics.

3. Try connecting that mouse and a different optical USB mouse to the computer, then try to use the other (not the one having problems) and see how it reacts.

Sorry I got called into a 3.5 hour meeting when I started writing this email, got brain dead, went home, came back to work and realised I never finished... I hope this helps anyways.

I've had mouse problems in the past and these are the things I had tried.

1. See how the performance is while connected using a PS2 adapter.

2. Check your surface compared to the other places it worked. There may be a tolerance difference with the optics.

3. Try connecting that mouse and a different optical USB mouse to the computer, then try to use the other (not the one having problems) and see how it reacts.

Sorry I got called into a 3.5 hour meeting when I started writing this email, got brain dead, went home, came back to work and realised I never finished... I hope this helps anyways.

Thanks for your reply.

1. a ps2 adapter doesn't help (mouse doesn't work at all)

2. the surface is not a problem. When it freezes for that couple seconds, even the buttons doesn't work.

3. I changed 2 equal mice and I had the same problems, I didn't try a different usb mouse, though.