WMP and Real Media format

xtremee

why would they support a rival commercial codec anyway while they have their own codecs in competition.
What are you mean?!!

If WMP does not play the real file format, then it is like saying to the webmasters that the format is not suitable for the average user so it influences them to use formats that WMP uses. History tells us about 10 years ago that you had to use the ad ridden/or buy it player called RealPlayer. There was a lot more use of the real format on websites everywhere so you needed RealPlayer to play them. When another player added support for the real format, RealNetworks made an issue over it and not sure whether it went to court or what happened. The last I remember about the RealPlayer, it became the RealOnePlayer and I have refused to use it since. Over the years, the real format has declined as I assume that webmasters noticed that supporting the format is not in the interest of those average users with basic windows apps like WMP.

This is getting drawn out so hopefully you have some information to acknowledge why things are not always easy and straight forward.

@ Arie,

You're now officially added to my ignored users list

Oh no man

i was asking about Winamp again as there is a player called crystal Player that is not free but it support to play all the media foramts also there is a plugin to play media format and Winamp can add this plugin to its package as a users contributions and in this case i think there will be no legal validation.

lots of pirated anime stuff is encoded with real. thats the only reason anyone would use it these days. I see it on way to many PCs that come to me with viruses/spyware for disinfection. I cant count how many PCs ive cleaned that have a 20Gb folder of realplayer anime from kazaa/limewire.

Use MP3, OGG, or WMA!!

WMA second popular.

Get?

Nope. WM is the same as Real – proprietary formats for which small self-contained decoders do not exist.

The user doesn't typically have a choice. The sites they visit tend to run whatever format they want.

That being said, it's been years since I've seen a site that used Realmedia format. What's a site that still uses it, that anyone cares about?

The user can choose not to visit the website. Typically websites have extremely poor quality video and audio, so that is not really a loss.

As noted abone, unfortunately there remains some content exclusively in proprietary formats (pre-MPEG4 QuickTime, RealMedia, Windows Media, Indeo). In some cases I've chosen to transcode some of these files. The best we can do now is not make more of such content.

In some cases I've chosen to transcode some of these files. The best we can do now is not make more of such content.

Yeah

sometime if i download Real Media files i decode them to traditional formats like .mp3 for audio and .mpg or .wmv for video.