Best CPU Rating

sameen

Before Nehalem and Bloomfield will be released, we have the Dunnington. Sun leaked some info about the Dunnington and can be found here. Specs of the Dunnington were released back in October 2007 by the way...

So now it's three-die dual-core. I'll just wait until Nehalem releases with true single-die quad-core before I try another Intel Xeon.

So now it's three-die dual-core.

Yes, but they added an L3 cache that will be shared by all three die. They will use the L3 for communcation instead of the FSB. That should help with the FSB latencies.

I do agree though...they should just get their native quad-core design out the door.

I did some more research on CSI as well (which as it turns out, the official name is indeed QuickPath Interconnect). Both it and on-die memory controllers (OMC) will be available at the same time, as opposed to a staggered release like a originally thought.

I'm not sure how much I really like the idea of an OMC though. Unless they take a different course of action than AMD did, you'll have to match the motherboard and CPU with the RAM. Right now I can take a P35 DDR2 based board and through (pretty much) any LGA775 CPU from Pentium 4 up to Core 2 Xtreme on the board. AMD, of course, has the same problem which is one of the reasons they haven't implemented DDR3 yet. I'm going to wait and see how Intel handles it before I pass judgement though.

I'm not sure how much I really like the idea of an OMC though. Unless they take a different course of action than AMD did, you'll have to match the motherboard and CPU with the RAM. Right now I can take a P35 DDR2 based board and through (pretty much) any LGA775 CPU from Pentium 4 up to Core 2 Xtreme on the board.

True, but most newer memory controllers can support multiple types of memory. I would have liked to see the memory access controller be a bit more flexible, but I don't know the costs in that, so I can't speak to why this isn't the case with AMD processors. Again, when nehalem is a go, and the OMC is a feature, I'll definitely be checking it out. Hopefully the implementation is good, and gives us the performance back.

I have a question since you guys seem to know alot more about both than I. I have been thinking about getting an Intel E6600 Dual Core. Is there a better AMD dual core for the same price without an FSB bottleneck/slowdown? Many thanks as I learned more about cpu's reading this thread than ever knew about AMD/Intel, lol. My old P4 3Ghz with HT still runs nice, but its time for an upgrade to something faster. :hello:

All depends if you overclock or not. Intel’s new E8xxx line would be the best pick for overclocking now. If you keep everything at stock speeds then I would look for an AMD.

For what are you going to use your machine for any way?

No OC'n for me, I prefer to stay at stock. AMD 64 x2 the best(dual core) out there? :whistle:

Everyday use: email, web browsing. watching videos. playing a game every now and then. Yeah, my current pc is fast enough for all that as it is, but it was built in 2003 and was a monster back then. I want that again, maybe the last build for me for a long time. I want something like dual core with DDR2 and the new pci video card thing. I already have a pair of WD Raptors ready and waiting to be unleashed in raid on the new system. :thumbup

Edited by accessdenied042

No OC'n for me, I prefer to stay at stock. AMD 64 x2 the best(dual core) out there? :whistle:

Everyday use: email, web browsing. watching videos. playing a game every now and then. Yeah, my current pc is fast enough for all that as it is, but it was built in 2003 and was a monster back then. I want that again, maybe the last build for me for a long time. I want something like dual core with DDR2 and the new pci video card thing. I already have a pair of WD Raptors ready and waiting to be unleashed in raid on the new system. :thumbup

As I am not a fanboy of either side, here is the unfortunate truth about the Phenom chips - a phenom X4 won't be as fast per-core as an Intel Core Quad (faster than most Core Duos except the higher-end Extremes), so if all you run is things that are single-threaded or not thread-safe, or you want a quad-core processor and want to have the fastest per-core chips, go with the Intels (they will indeed be faster as I've mentioned before the dual-die dual-core allows for faster "in-processor" operation). They'll also do better in video games and video content applications (it's relative, but they are better - the Phenoms are somewhere between the Athlon X2 and Core Duos and the Core Quads, almost right in-between in benchmarks). If you are sticking dual-processor, the fastest Athlon X2 and the fastest Core Duo are about the same performance-wise, so that boils down to what motherboard, memory, and video card you want and which platform fits your budget for the features you want to throw into the box.

For what you're stating you do, you aren't compiling code or doing a lot of VM or large file set work, I'd say the x6600 Core Quad from Intel with a good video card is a much better purchase right this moment than the Phenom X4 or an Athlon X2, especially stating that you spent a good deal on your last rig 5 years ago meaning price might be a consideration, but not a barrier. If you ask me in 12 months, this will probably change and AMD will bump up the clock speed and the L2 cache on the X4 chips, but for "home use" scenarios like video games, regular everyday browsing/email/document editing and maybe a little photoshop or Windows Movie Maker or what have you, the Intel Core Duo/Core Quad or an Athlon X2 are a much better choice than the Phenoms at the moment. Which you choose is highly subjective at this point, but the Core Quads that are on the upper range (the 6800s and the Extremes) are REALLY fast if the benchmarks are fairly accurate for what you're looking to do, but you'd be better served buying a cheaper Core Quad 6600 and spending more on fast RAM and a good video card than sinking the budget into the processor ;).

[...]

As I am not a fanboy of either side, here is the unfortunate truth about the Phenom chips - a phenom X4 won't be as fast per-core as an Intel Core Quad (faster than most Core Duos except the higher-end Extremes).

[...]

Cluberti! I'd expect you to know this.... :P

The Core Duo and the Core 2 Duo are NOT the same. Core Duos are older, and there IS no Core Quad.

Don't get a core anything... core 2 duo, core 2 quad and core 2 extreme are where it's at. :thumbup

Sounds like a real fast Core 2 Duo that I was looking at is the way to go then. I have always been an Intel guy but I did help my friend build an Athlon 64 x2 system that is a smoking gun, lol. I do make backups of DVD's with programs like DVD Clone and DVD Shrink. I never use the originals or loan them out. :thumbup Anyhoo, I just wanted to make sure the Core 2 Duo would be a beast with a good mobo and fast ram. I will for sure get a top end video card to make sure I get a 5.9 in Veesta, lol. Also a side note, the mobo MUST have about 8 SATA 3 ports with 4 of them min for raid. I love my Raptors. :wub:

I think I was on the right track before, but I needed to be sure before I shell out some major bux on new system guts. I was just torn between the Athlon 64 x2 and the Core 2 Duo. I think that C2D was I looking at is 64 bit too. I am definitely gonna be major picky when I pick the cpu, mobo and ram.....making sure to get the right stuff. I want this new pc to fly so fast it will break a new speed barrier. No need for a quad core unless the price drops down to where the C2D I am looking at now is. It may be several months or late 08, early 09 before I build this pc though.

Thanks for the answers/help on this guys. I am still open to the Athlon if the FSB on the C2D is slower. :yes:

Also a side note, the mobo MUST have about 8 SATA 3 ports with 4 of them min for raid.

Most newer motherboards have up to six SATA ports on them. Six is plenty for most people. I have two RAID0 arrays setup in my machine using four drives...which still leaves me with two SATA ports available (my optical drives are still PATA for the time being).

How are you planning on configuring the drives and why do you need eight SATA ports? If you really need that many you can get a nice PCI Express based add-in RAID controller and throw it in the second PCIe x16 slot (if you're not going to do SLI/Crossfire). Put your optical drives on the onboard SATA ports and use the add-in controller for the RAID array(s). I have to, yet again, throw in my recommendation for a 3ware SATA RAID controller should you decide to go that route. If you're going to use RAID5 I really have to recommend getting an add-in RAID controller. The onboard controllers all use the CPU to do the RAID calculations, which will decrease overall system performance.

One thing of note that some may not be aware of. The onboard Intel RAID solutions "limit" you to four drives per array. If you plan on using more than four drives in a single array you'll have to get an add-in controller.

I have been thinking about getting an Intel E6600 Dual Core. Is there a better AMD dual core for the same price without an FSB bottleneck/slowdown?

Just buy one of the Intel e8??? chips, the e8300 (comes out any day now) is only $163 and runs faster, cooler and with less watts and can even offer 30% additional boost (real world) for apps that support the brand new SSE4 that's in the chip. If you read any article that talks about the new 45nm Core 2 Duos, they'll always say "if you're going to get a Dual Core cpu, only get a 45nm one". They're faster and cheaper, and the new 45nm quad cores are true quad cores now, not dual cores welded together.

I'd say the x6600 Core Quad from Intel with a good video card is a much better purchase right this moment than the Phenom X4 or an Athlon X2

Actually the q6600 isn't as good as people think it is. For starters it's 1st generation Core Quad, you can buy a e8400 for $200 and it will be faster for desktop apps and video games. In video encoding the results will me mixed: the new e8xxx line supports SSE4, which if supported, give a free 30% encoding boost. Also DiVX only support 2 cores fully, so with the e8xxx having 2 faster cores, it will beat a q6600 in DiVX encoding.

Overall, just get a e8xxx, they're cheap, fast, cool, quite and use even less watts than any other multi core on the market. It's basically the best thing to happen to CPUs since the first Core 2 Duo.

Edited by TravisO

If you ask me in 12 months, this will probably change and AMD will bump up the clock speed and the L2 cache on the X4 chips, but for "home use" scenarios like video games, regular everyday browsing/email/document editing and maybe a little photoshop or Windows Movie Maker or what have you, the Intel Core Duo/Core Quad or an Athlon X2 are a much better choice than the Phenoms at the moment.
Well, in a few months AMD will bring out a new revision of there 3 and 4 cored CPUs, this time at a higher speed and without the TLB (L3 cache "forgets" data simple said) problem.

Sounds like an e8300 is where its at then. I'll check on it more when I do buy one, as I want the biggest cache on the cpu for the buck.

As for the 8 ports it was to have 4 Raptors in RAID with 2 more optical drives. I just want/need the other 2 for additional drives if I choose to add later. I looked at an Intel board a while back that had 8, that is where the idea came from. I think the 3ware card is the better idea. I used to have a 3ware 8006-2LP for a long time, but one port quick working last year after the warranty was up. That was the fastest **** RAID I have ever used and it was just 2 drives, lol.

I believe I am set. Just need to make the loot to get it now. :thumbup

Thanks to everyone :thumbup

Edited by accessdenied042

I looked at an Intel board a while back that had 8

My Asus P5B-E has eight...but it's six via the ICH8R southbridge and two more (one of them being eSATA) via an integrated JMicron controller. Odds are, the one you saw is the same way as the ICH7/8/9 southbridges only support up to six SATA ports. I believe that NVIDIA's and AMD/ATI's southbridges also only support up to six SATA ports.