XP start-up and download problems...

jo_kearns

hi, :hello:

first of all, i'm not very computer-literate, but I haven't been able to find help anywhere else, so i hope you can shed some light on my problems...

First of all...when I try to download anything off the internet (for eg. Itunes) i get the message "your current security settings do not allow this file to be downloaded".

I have tried everything I can think of, and also what other people have been advised to do on other forums, such as changing the firewall settings, the custom level of security...sooo many things!! Does anyone have an idea that will work!?

Secondly... I got a virus on my laptop (Fujitsu Siemens) and tried to re-install XP, it seemed to work, but now I when I start the laptop, the screen goes blue and I am told that the iaStor.sys file cannot be found. I am not sure if I can download this? But due to my first problem, even if it is downloadable, my security settings will not allow it!! :rolleyes:

Also...when the windows updater runs, it fails to download the updates, I am not sure if this is related to the first problem..??

I would reeeeallu appreciate some help with these problems....!! thanks!! :blushing:

Edited by jo_kearns

I would suggest the following:

1. Reset security to out-of-the-box defaults by running the following command from a command prompt (start > run > cmd > click ok):

secedit /configure /cfg "%windir%\security\templates\setup security.inf" /db ss.sdb /overwrite

2. Reboot

3. Reinstall the Intel Matrix Storage Manager to reinstall the iastor.sys and other supporting files.

4. Re-scan the machine with antivirus and spwyare scanners to make sure it truly is clean - once a machine has been infected, I always suggest rebuilding after backing up your data, because you can never be sure that install is ever truly clean again. However, that is always your choice.

yes! any hope?!

Maybe - if you open a command prompt, change to %windir%\system32, and type "dir /a secedit.exe", do you see secedit.exe listed?

when i did the system32 part, it said it was not recognised as an internal or external command etc...same as the 'secedit'...

and the second part...dir/ a secedit...it said that volume in driver c has no label... and "file not found"...

Edited by jo_kearns

personally I think your better off with firefox for the internet, I have IE7 installed just because but I could not figure out how to use it(not that I do much), it would not even pop up the install active X on microsofts site, so I use IE Tab in firefox to install windows updates, works great.

i think you may be right...but i cant even download firefox as my security settings wont let me download anything...ive check everything I can find, but nothing has worked!! Ive never had problems with IE before...but everything seems to have packed up together now!!

no just wait a day or so till someone else has a good answer, I dont use IE so I'm not sure where to look but I bet its burried in the options somewhere. Have you tried turning off Norton?

Also since your not up on computers much I recomend getting something different than Norton when/if you subscription ends. Kaspersky is availble an bestbuy and such and is a great alternative or nod32 if you can find it. Just for future refference as these are considered by many as the best for security. If your looking for free antivirus AVG and Avast are good(not that you can download them currently:(

Edited by SpeedEuphoria

thanks anyway!!!

but any advice from anyone else would be greatly appreciated...windows installer is also missing, but I cant download it so....

Although I can't find secedit in the cmd box, I can find its actual file...can i change anything about it there to fix the problem??

Edited by jo_kearns

tried that and none of it worked!!

i have no problem re-installing. If I try to do this from the CD however, it says I have no iaStor.sys and coming back to my other problem...i cannot download it!! is there any other way for me to get an iaStor.sys file other than downloading it from the Intel (or any other) website??

btw...thanks for helping me so far!