$OEM$ folders aren't being copied to %systemdrive%

nervster

I've been trying to install Windows XP using different USB sticks for the last two days. I encountered different issues while doing so, but I managed to fix everything, except a few.

I'm using nLite and Bashrat's DPB. nLite is used to remove unneeded components, slipstream some patches and for unattended purposes (that's what I'm using it for).

The problem is, I can't get the contents of the $OEM$ folders to copy to %systemdrive%. I can't understand why do I have to remove the [unattended] section from the *.sif files, although I understand that the installation will still be unattended. Anyway, I've removed the [unattended] section from usb_multiboot2\winnt(_bf).sif and from \I386\winnt.sif. I'm not quite sure if one has to remove it from all the 3 winnt.SIF's, maybe just the ones provided by usb_multiboot2. Although the "$$, $1, etc." folders don't get copied to the %systemdrive%, cmdlines.txt is executed at T-12.

Everything works (drivers installed) just fine if I'm using the regular method (CD/VM). This implies that the [unattended] section needs to be kept in \I386\winnt.sif.

I've tried VirtualBox/VMWare/Virtual PC, but none of them seem to support booting from USB devices. Correct me if I'm wrong, please! :)

EDIT: In the meantime, I came across this. I now understand that it wasn't me doing something wrong (besides not thinking of an alternative).

Thanks for your time.

Edited by nervster

...I've tried VirtualBox/VMWare/Virtual PC, but none of them seem to support booting from USB devices. Correct me if I'm wrong, please! :)...
Unfortunately you are right:), for now there is no virtual software, supporting USB boot, there were some topics in VMware forums about future plans to implement that, but for now it's not done.

• 5 months later...

HI Guys,

I was "trying" to test the USB boot and install with Vmware and as stated there is no USB boot option, I ended up adding another virtual HDD and set the hdd to use the physical USB drive which allowed it to boot.

But that doesn't really help much for booting from USB other than checking if the layout seems to load properly, still no guarantee that it'll work when you DO boot it from USB though :blink: .

The problem is, I can't get the contents of the $OEM$ folders to copy to %systemdrive%. I can't understand why do I have to remove the [unattended] section from the *.sif files, although I understand that the installation will still be unattended. Anyway, I've removed the [unattended] section from usb_multiboot2\winnt(_bf).sif and from \I386\winnt.sif. I'm not quite sure if one has to remove it from all the 3 winnt.SIF's, maybe just the ones provided by usb_multiboot2. Although the "$$, $1, etc." folders don't get copied to the %systemdrive%, cmdlines.txt is executed at T-12.

Everything has been solved and is automated in later versions.

Try USB_MultiBoot_10.cmd and let the program do the work.

Or try the NEW appoach of Install XP from USB AFTER Booting with PE from HDD or USB

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/?showtopic=5306

http://www.msfn.org/board/Install-XP-from-...-P-t121446.html

In this case you can use the FULL XP Source unchanged just as with Install from CD

and $OEM$ folder is recognised and the [unattended] section of winnt.sif file is used as normal.

• 1 month later...

i am having a similar problem i have tried lots of different things i used usb multiboot 10 and usb xp setup and winsetup from usb winsetup from usb was the only one of the 3 that i could get to boot and it loaded my unattended xp just fine except it didnt copy my apps from the $oem$ folder but i know that the folder works cause i loaded it from a dvd and it went fine but i have office pc's to load it on that dont have dvd drives if anyone can help i would greatly appriciate it