Custom build diagnosing problem

craziscoth

I've built and modified many computers in the past, though its been awhile and I decided to build another. I got all the parts and put it together and it didn't startup (not even to the POST) and I am having trouble determining the root cause. I have disconnected/removed pretty much everything except the memory, cpu and cpu fan. I have verified the power supply is fine with a spare power supply I have. I have tried putting the memory modules in different sockets and even tried removing them altogether without making a difference. What I notice is that when I power on the system, the cpu fan starts and stops quickly. Also, six diagnostic lights on the motherboard (2 green, 2 yellow, 2 red) come on and remain on (no blinking). When I power the unit off the cpu fan starts and stops again.

Some details about the components. I have a Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3P motherboard with a retail Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 processor with heatsink and fan. I also have 2x1GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2 RAM that I initially put in socket 0 and 2 (Channel 0).

Because I have not built or upgraded a system in a while, I do not have a spare CPU or motherboard to swap out to verify if I just received a bad part. Does anyone have any ideas what might be wrong or how to diagnose the problem further?

Thanks,

Almost sure it’s the RAM. Due to too tight timing settings in the SPD and/or a voltage “problem”, the system will not start. Just see it more as an incompatibility, also seen with ASUS motherboards as other members on this board reported it frequently.

I matched up the RAM with what the mobo manufacturer listed as supported memory. As I said I tried both sticks at the same time in channel 0, then in channel 1. I tried 1 stick in each socket to see if it was a socket problem, then tried the other to make sure it wasn't the stick of RAM. Then I tried it without any memory. The motherboard never beeped at me. I verified all the necessary cables are plugged in properly. I actually found out that what I thought were diagnostic lights on the mobo are actually meant to indicate CPU load. So according to the mobo the CPU is at max load yet the CPU fan doesn't run and nothing comes up. I actually also tried plugging the CPU fan into another 4-pin fan header on the mobo to see if it works and it does the same thing. All the other fans I have are 3-pin and they work when plugged into the mobo.

strip it down to the PSU, MB and CPU remove ALL add on cards/drives/memory including video. dont just unplug drives from the board -also remove their power leads

clear the CMOS

use a different power on switch from another case or use the reset/chassis intrusion as a temporary -Mr screwdriver will work in a pinch :}

if it powers up, add 1 stick of memory and repeat (clear CMOS every time if you have to)

if it still powers up, keep adding thing until it doesnt