Error: could not locate INF file

zedox

To be honest, I'm clueless.

The files exist in SOURCESS\I386.

TXTSETUP.SIF instructs Windows setup to copy them over during TXTMODE setup.

You don't get any copy error messages during TXTMODE setup.

You even removed the command that removes the temporary HFSLIP folder.

Files don't just vanish...

I did notice one thing though, re-reading this entire thread. Maybe it's just coincidence, but you mentioned "C:\WINDOWS\HFSLIP\IHFSLP151.INF" twice. HFSLIP doesn't create "IHFSLP151.INF"; it creates "HFSLP151.INF" (without the "I" in the front).

I did notice one thing though, re-reading this entire thread. Maybe it's just coincidence, but you mentioned "C:\WINDOWS\HFSLIP\IHFSLP151.INF" twice. HFSLIP doesn't create "IHFSLP151.INF"; it creates "HFSLP151.INF" (without the "I" in the front).

It's just a typo.

What do I do now :(

The old HFSLIPS used to work.

• 1 year later...

For what it's worth, I am encountering the same issue. I did find a workaround for it though by opening a command prompt by hitting Shift+F10 and manually copying the files from the I386 directory on the CD to the C:\WINDOWS\HFSLIPS directory so that the installer finds the INF files and they get installed properly. Did a bit of digging into my TXTSETUP.SIF file and it is correctly formatted so that the files should have been copied in Textmode. My TXTSetup.sif was generated by the most current version of HFSLIP and everything else appears to work properly once I manually copy over the files. Would appreciate any help in automating this file copying.

Holy thread resurrection! When you ran hfslip, did you select the default values for the multiboot path? When installing the ISO, did you set up your VM to boot from the iso image? Are you trying to do something funky like some network install?

If the "missing" file is indeed in the i386 folder and the filename is also part of txtsetup.sif, then I'm at a loss of words. Maybe try booting from the CD to install (i.e. clean installation), or reburning your CD. Other than that, I really can't help.

Ive tried recompiling the CD a few times and in all cases I was doing a clean install from a zeroed out HDD. Here is my txtsetup.sif file. Is there some sort of a script or batch file that we could make run at the end of textmode setup or at the beginning of WindowsPE that could do the copying? Anything that could make these inf files get copied before the T-13 point in Windows PE would do the trick.

TXTSETUP.zip

I'm not sure what files you are missing during copymode, but like I said, the files should reside in your sourcess\i386 folder. I'm afraid you'll have to be a little more specific on what files are not getting copied. I can't check that for you on this side of the screen. :)

The inf files are copied right after the drive is partitioned. I'm unaware of cmd files that can be run at that point because the OS isn't installed at that point in time.

I think it's probably a better idea to post your hfslip.log file.

Here is the log file. The inf files that are not getting copied are all the hfs*.inf files that are supposed to be copied into c:\windows\hfslip directory. There are 77 inf files total. Names include: HFSLIPSD.INF, HFSLIPWU.INF, HFSLP151.inf - HFSLP156.inf, HFSLP200.inf - HFSLP267.inf, and HFSLPGUI.INF. Thank you for your help on this. I'm pretty new to slipstreaming but pretty script/programming savvy. I also have a few questions about some of the Windows hotfix updates that were put into the HF folder but were missing from the installed version. I'll start a different topic under probably Muppet's forum to see if he can help, probably just have an outdated update that is overwritting the more current update.

HFSLIP.zip

Edited by mserbin

Your host OS is unrecognized. Did you use an XP machine when you ran HFSLIP? You'll need an 2000, XP or 2003 to run hfslip. If you have another OS, then all bets are off. If you are indeed using 2k/xp/2003, please use the latest beta, it's more up to date than the one you are currently using. The beta is stickied on this forum. You may want to clean up your hotfixes too. For starters, you can place the 4.5 installer into HF now.

I ran HFSLIP on a XP x86 computer and the inf file issue still persisted. The only thing I can think is maybe it is being caused because I used a Dell XP Pro SP3 disk as my source. I read on a different forum that recompiling the Dell OS disk might help and removing some files from it. Have you had this problem with Dell or other manufacturer OS disks before?

Edited by mserbin

In a SAMPLE run, try this. It appears your source is pre-modded with something.. Try this. Remove the svcpack folder in source, also remove the svcpack.in_ or svcpack.inf. This is a test case that's worth a shot.

Oh, nobody else is having the prob you are having, or at least that's what the people in the beta thread are saying.

Edited by tommyp