Settuperr.log messages - are they ok?

leozack

Ok so I started again from XPSP2 with the boogy integrator and ran the following integrations

[Hotfixes]
E:\XPSP2Lite\Updates\RVMUpdatePack2.1.11.7z
E:\XPSP2Lite\Updates\RUPUpdates-2.1.11.13-Addon.7z
E:\XPSP2Lite\Updates\MMC3 WindowsXP.exe
E:\XPSP2Lite\Updates\DirectX_9.0c_November_2007_AddOn_0.3.2_-_CNC.7z
E:\XPSP2Lite\Updates\NR_IE7en_Addon_1.0.6b_alt.7z
E:\XPSP2Lite\Updates\Hotfixes\IE7-WindowsXP-KB942615-x86-ENU.exe
E:\XPSP2Lite\Updates\Hotfixes\WindowsXP-KB933729-x86-ENU.exe
E:\XPSP2Lite\Updates\Hotfixes\WindowsXP-KB937894-x86-ENU.exe
E:\XPSP2Lite\Updates\Hotfixes\WindowsXP-KB941202-x86-ENU.exe
E:\XPSP2Lite\Updates\Hotfixes\WindowsXP-KB941568-x86-ENU.exe
E:\XPSP2Lite\Updates\Hotfixes\WindowsXP-KB941569-x86-ENU.EXE
E:\XPSP2Lite\Updates\Hotfixes\WindowsXP-KB941644-x86-ENU.exe
E:\XPSP2Lite\Updates\Hotfixes\WindowsXP-KB942763-x86-ENU.exe
E:\XPSP2Lite\Updates\Hotfixes\WindowsXP-KB943460-x86-ENU.exe
E:\XPSP2Lite\Updates\Hotfixes\WindowsXP-KB943485-x86-ENU.exe
E:\XPSP2Lite\Updates\Hotfixes\WindowsXP-KB944653-x86-ENU.exe
E:\XPSP2Lite\Updates\Hotfixes\WMP11\WindowsMedia11-KB936782-x86-ENU.exe
E:\XPSP2Lite\Updates\Hotfixes\WMP11\WindowsMedia11-KB939683-x86-ENU.exe
E:\XPSP2Lite\Updates\Hotfixes\WMP11\windowsmedia11-kb929399-v2-x86-intl.exe
E:\XPSP2Lite\Updates\Addons\NR_UPHC_Addon.cab
E:\XPSP2Lite\Updates\Addons\Ricks_7-Zip4.56b_AddOn.rar
E:\XPSP2Lite\Updates\Addons\Ricks_CCleaner2.03.532_AddOn.rar
E:\XPSP2Lite\Updates\Addons\Ricks_GenuineAdvantage_AddOn_71107.7z

Then I ran my tweaks. (file attached)

I installed off this and all is well, though winupdate shows another WGA addon to do along with the latest WMSRT, neither of which I can integrate if I'm correct?

I gave up trying to integrate the tooltipfixer addon as it needed dotnet andI couldn't get that to work right.

However, on the apparently working fresh install I checked the eventlog and found windows setup had encountered non-fatal errors. I checked the settuperr.log in c:\windows and it had this. Is any of this a problem? Is it all expected and ignorable?

Setup could not register the OLE Control C:\WINDOWS\system32\mshtml.dll because of the following error:
GetProcAddress returned error 127 (the specified procedure could not be found).
Error:
Setup could not register the OLE Control C:\WINDOWS\system32\msrating.dll because of the following error:
Error:
Setup could not register the OLE Control C:\WINDOWS\system32\inseng.dll because of the following error:
Error:
Setup could not register the OLE Control C:\WINDOWS\system32\plugin.ocx because of the following error:
LoadLibrary returned error 126 (the specified module could not be found).
Error:
Setup could not register the OLE Control C:\WINDOWS\system32\webcheck.dll because of the following error:
Error:
Setup could not register the OLE Control C:\WINDOWS\system32\imgutil.dll because of the following error:
Error:
Setup could not register the OLE Control C:\WINDOWS\system32\pngfilt.dll because of the following error:
Error:
Setup detected that the system file named [c:\windows\system32\sfcfiles.dll] is not signed properly
by Microsoft. This file could not be restored to the correct Microsoft version.
Use the SFC utility to verify the integrity of the file.

LAST_SESSION.INI

The errors are all related to Internet Explorer. Since you integrate IE7, I don't know if that's normal or not - I haven't used it. Maybe someone who did can help you further. In any case, I'd say that you could expect eventual problems only with IE, and if IE7 'took' - all is OK.

Another thing I noticed is MMC3 - I'm pretty sure it's included in RVMUpdatePack2.1.11, so I think it's redundant.

Hope this helped a bit.

GL

Looking at http://www.ryanvm.net/msfn/updatepack.html it doesn't mention MMC3 being included? o.o

And I've run IE7 on my virtualbox and it seems ok despite those errors you suggest are IE7 related. But I can't afford to push this cd out into production environment with those (relatively) hidden errors only to find IE7 falls over later or upon updating or something.

Can anyone who knows about them put me out o fmy misery? I'm desperate to get a new working cd, my last one is july 2006 so there are lots of updates :(

The sfcfiles.dll error is normal the others not.

Combining NR_IE7en_Addon_1.0.6b_alt.7z and IE7-WindowsXP-KB942615-x86-ENU.exe is suspicious.

-You can integrate the MS IE7 installer and a few hotfixes (IE7 KB938127, IE7 KB939653 and newer) directly.

The WMP11 hotfixes do not make sense if you have no WMP11 integrated

-My two cents is that this causes the error messages.

I recommend: use the Boooggy's WMP11 integrater with installer and hotfixes.

IE7-WindowsXP-KB942615-x86-ENU.exe is indeed just a hotfix, afaia, inwhichcase it's needed despite using the itengrated IE7 pack? Or am I wrong o_O

And I started off wiht xpsp2 and WMP11 integrated which is why you didn't see it listed but I did mention I started with it ;)

Hmm ... ok so 1 error is safe, the rest ... not so :( Dammit I finally thought I'd made a usable build!

IE7-WindowsXP-KB942615-x86-ENU.exe is indeed just a hotfix, afaia, inwhichcase it's needed despite using the itengrated IE7 pack? Or am I wrong o_O

And I started off wiht xpsp2 and WMP11 integrated which is why you didn't see it listed but I did mention I started with it ;)

Hmm ... ok so 1 error is safe, the rest ... not so :( Dammit I finally thought I'd made a usable build!

I would not combine NR_IE7en_Addon_1.0.6b_alt.7z and the IE7 hotfix. just get rid of that hotfix and let Windows Update handle it. Or integrate the ORIGINAL MS IE7 installer and the recent hotfixes with nLite 1.4.1.

Sorry I missed that you did the Boooggy :blushing:. But I recommend you do the Boooggy with ALL WMP11 hotfixes AFTER nLite integration. Has always worked for me.

BTW: It is good that you look at Setuperr.log :thumbup .

Yeah I've tried doing things in different orders, doing things with RVMI instead of all with nLite, and so on. But this is the most successful build I've had yet, done entirely with nLite (ignoring starting off with the WMP slipstreaming) in just 1 pass for integrations, 1 for tweaks, then 1 for the ISO.

And the fact the machine installs fine and runs fine is just excellent. No disappearing windows update sheilds or anything I had on previous builds. Yet I find that hidden away in setuperr.log is my downfall :( So not clear yet!

I'm just rebuilding again without that IE7 hotfix, see what difference it makes.

Ok that finished installing and was identical to before - exactly the same thing - event lg system alerts me that setup had nonfatal erros check setuperr.log, and setuperr.log has the same errors in it. The only difference is autoupdate finds that IE7 hotfix aswell as the WGA and the MSRT. So I conclude the IE hotfix isn't the problem and is worth including.

What now? :/

What now? :/

Two options:

-The hard way: start with no addons and gradually add until you find what is causing this.

--To do it fast there is a process called bisection: cut in half and try, keep the halfs that work, toss the ones that don't etc etc etc

-Try the XAble addons for windows updates and WGAN

I use the following set of hotfixes and installers and get a clean Setuperr.log (but for sfc):

1. nLite/WinXPAddon_UpdatePack_v3.0.7a.7z, (Xable)

2. nLite/WinXPAddon_WGAN_1.1.cab, (Xable)

3. nLite/WinXPAddon_MSUpdate_v1.1.cab, (Xable)

4. nLite/WinXPAddon_QFECheck_1.1.cab, (Xable)

5. nLite/WinXPAddon_DX9_0.3.4CNC.7z, (Xable)

6. Microsoft/IE7/IE7-WindowsXP-x86-enu.exe, (MS)

7. Microsoft\IE7\IE7-WindowsXP-KB938127-x86-ENU.exe, (MS)

8. Microsoft/IE7/IE7-WindowsXP-KB939653-x86-ENU.exe, (MS)

9. Microsoft/UAA/hdaudbus.inf, (KB888111 for HD Audio driver)

10. nLite/ProgramsAddon_dt4112_spdt153_x86.cab, (johndoe74 Daemon tools)

11. nLite\ProgramsAddon_Unlocker-Light-v1.8.5.cab, (Xable from the Ryan site)

After that I Boooggy with all WMP11 hot fixes

-Note I changed the names of the add-ons a bit, you see I am an Xable fan :thumbup.

-I did not test the newer hot fixes for IE7 so far

• 1 month later...

I just tried an install going right back to when I'd just integrated WMP11, and setuperr.log contains the following. I'm beginning to think setuperr.log is never empty, especially if you tweak the install with nlite etc. FTR I didn't tweak anything on this one, was back at basics, just integrating wmp11. I may just try even without that and see o_o

Error:
Setup detected that the system file named [c:\windows\apppatch\apph_sp.sdb] is not signed properly
Error:
Setup detected that the system file named [c:\windows\apppatch\apphelp.sdb] is not signed properly
Error:
Setup detected that the system file named [c:\windows\apppatch\sysmain.sdb] is not signed properly

I found sometime ago that it helps to integrate something small (such as a monitor driver) and then integrate WMP11 with the SlipStreamer.

The occurrence of these error messages also depends on the type of your install:

-CD install (errors less likely to occur)

-WinNT32 install (errors more to occur)

Also I had quite some error messages with WinXP x65 and posted in Boooggy's topic.

Some people say do IE7 first, some last, some say WMP11 first, some last >_>' I'll be happy anyway it works!

I'm using virtualbox for my testing to install from cdrom (iso) not winnt32. Vbox is sweet cos it supports USB passthrough from your host PC. Also free and lite ;)

I just tried from my original XPSP2 source and sure enough, blank setuperr.log. So my WMP11 integration I've based all my builds off, despite apparently working fine, already gives those setuperr.log errors above.

So now I'm just making a new build, from fresh XPSP2, wihtout WMP11 yet, but containing all this. I'll see how it goes. If it works out I'll boogy in WMP11 after. I'm feeling there's probably even more updates by now I need to include. Why won't XPSP3 go gold already! :(

E:\XPSP2Lite\Updates\RVMUpdatePack2.1.11.7z
E:\XPSP2Lite\Updates\RUPUpdates-2.1.11.13-Addon.7z
E:\XPSP2Lite\Updates\Hotfixes\WindowsXP-KB933729-x86-ENU.exe
E:\XPSP2Lite\Updates\Hotfixes\WindowsXP-KB937894-x86-ENU.exe
E:\XPSP2Lite\Updates\Hotfixes\WindowsXP-KB941202-x86-ENU.exe
E:\XPSP2Lite\Updates\Hotfixes\WindowsXP-KB941568-x86-ENU.exe
E:\XPSP2Lite\Updates\Hotfixes\WindowsXP-KB941569-x86-ENU.EXE
E:\XPSP2Lite\Updates\Hotfixes\WindowsXP-KB941644-x86-ENU.exe
E:\XPSP2Lite\Updates\Hotfixes\WindowsXP-KB942763-x86-ENU.exe
E:\XPSP2Lite\Updates\Hotfixes\WindowsXP-KB943460-x86-ENU.exe
E:\XPSP2Lite\Updates\Hotfixes\WindowsXP-KB943485-x86-ENU.exe
E:\XPSP2Lite\Updates\Addons\NR_UPHC_Addon.cab
E:\XPSP2Lite\Updates\Addons\Ricks_7-Zip4.56b_AddOn.rar
E:\XPSP2Lite\Updates\Addons\Ricks_CCleaner2.03.532_AddOn.rar
E:\XPSP2Lite\Updates\Addons\Ricks_GenuineAdvantage_AddOn_71107.7z

Edited by leozack

Ok the results of that are (somewhat predictably) bad. Setuperr.log contains the following :

Setup could not register the OLE Control C:\WINDOWS\system32\mshtml.dll because of the following error:
Setup could not register the OLE Control C:\WINDOWS\system32\msrating.dll because of the following error:
Setup could not register the OLE Control C:\WINDOWS\system32\inseng.dll because of the following error:
Setup could not register the OLE Control C:\WINDOWS\system32\plugin.ocx because of the following error:
LoadLibraryreturned error 126(the specified module could not be found).
Setup could not register the OLE Control C:\WINDOWS\system32\webcheck.dll because of the following error:
Setup could not register the OLE Control C:\WINDOWS\system32\imgutil.dll because of the following error:
Setup could not register the OLE Control C:\WINDOWS\system32\pngfilt.dll because of the following error:

Since people have working builds, I wish there was just links to files knwon to work ina certain order in nlite with clean setuperr.log so I could just use those. But it seems noone makes the same config builds, but I'd hope a standard one with IE7/DX9/WMP11 would be sorted by now, perhaps even just 1 big addon to make the necessary changes to apply or something nice?

I just tried using clean XPSP2, then just the IE7 addon and the DX9 addon

I got exactly the same errors! Great -_- I'll try going back to integrating IE7 directly and hotfixes for it? Unless there's an uptodate IE7 addon that works without error messages?

Edited by leozack