DVD+ drive 48X Magic spin smashed my disc and will not load now

Okay well this drive a

Magic Spin 48X DVD+ drive smashed my only Win98 copy. It sounded like zappppppppp when it did. This is not the first time a drive smashed a CD.

Another drive a MTRP CD 52X smashed my SIMS:Living It Large. The point is now when i go shopping for drives I would rather order a drive before they made software Region coding and lesser speeds like a 30X at least.

Back to what I saying

So like a fool I decided to open the drive and shake out the shards of my 98 disc ( which I realize I could have use as evidence against there shotty drive. ) Then I put the lid back on BANG ZOOOMM!!!! it started to do this

Light on Eject Light off and it stays like this forever unless I

push the cart in

Light off Insert Light on and then repeat

This continues over and over and over again.

The light does not change color or blinks to indicate reading. All I get is the light not even blinking or anything.

I tried shcnaging settings still nothing.

I can only guess the DVD-rom has some kind of Eppee-rom inside that is light sensitive and it's built in Flash brains is scrambled saying to go backwards or something.

Or something is stuck inside that is making the drive not read at all ( which I highly doubt )?????

Since the drive is "busted" I was thinking off attempting to upgrade the flash software to make it Region free.

Is there any soft that I can use to Upgrade the built in Region software???

Is there anything else I should be aware of???

Sooo I have data I wrote to it and since this is the only + readable drive I have to wait until later to get another one.

Do a google on RPC1 ORG (not in quotes); underneath is a link to "Dangerous Brothers", click on it. You might find a Firmware for your model; follow instructions.

Your DVD is probably toast, so like you said it won't hurt... I have one (DD0405 P.O.S.) that went belly-up (BTW, I always use some kind of "reduce-read-speed" software to keep from burning them out due to hi-speed reads) and it now sits in a pile. :(

Good luck...