My 2008 Workstation, Gaming, Video Editing, VMware, CAD Rig

ideas

Using this system to run up 10 VM or Terminals for internet cafe users.

I also rip, encode and watch HD Videos and be used as my HTPC

I do some video Editing and capturing Myself, plus Chief Architect & Auto CAD

Plus i do gaming and DVD & CD Duplication Services for clients

My Specs :wub:

1 MB GIGABYTE GA-X38-DQ6 LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX Ultra Durable 2, Ultra Cooling Intel

OR Some other X48 MotherBoard with the same layout supporting DDR2 memory

CPU Choices:

1 Q9450 2.66 GHz 1333 12MB 95W

OR

1 X3350 2.66 1333 12MB 95W

OR

1 X3320 2.50 1333 6MB 95W

Case Choices:

1 Case thermaltake Armor+ - VH6000BWS OR VH600LBWS OR VH6000SWA

OR

1 Thermaltake Kandalf VA9000BWS Black 1.0mm SECC Chassis Aluminum Front Bezel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Terminal choices: - to run my internet cafe

2 NComputing X300 3 User Expansion Kit

OR

10 NComputing L230 Computer Access Terminal up to 30 pcs

1 Hanns·G HW-223DPB Black 22

1 PLEXTOR 18X DVD±R DVD Burner ATAPI Model PX-800A/SW - capable of burning 1.4 Gig on a CD

1 Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OS

1 Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD7500AAKS 750GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Storage

1 CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX ATX12V / EPS12V 750W Power Supply

1 3ware 7506-4LP KIT PCI IDE Controller Card - used to add my 6 DVDRW & 1 DVDROM

1 M-AUDIO Revolution 5.1 5.1 Channels PCI Interface High-Definition Sound Card

1 Saitek PZ30AU Black USB Wired Standard Eclipse Keyboard

1 Logitech MX518 2-Tone 8 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB + PS/2 Wired Optical Gaming-Grade Mouse

1 Logitech G51 155 watts RMS 5.1 Surround Sound Speakers

1 Koutech IO-FPM220 3.5" Floppy Drive & Multi Card Reader Front Panel

2 G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Memory Model F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ - is this the best Ocing RAM

5 Pioneer 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE Model DVR-115DBK

1 LITE-ON Black IDE DVD-ROM Drive Model DH-16D2P-08 - used for superior cd & dvd readability

1 ASUS Dual ATAPI/E-IDE DVD-ROM Drive Model DVD-E616A3 - used for reading scratched discs

1 ATI All-in-Wonder X1900 Video Card

All i need next is a USB 3.0 Card

So what do you guys think of my rig and whats yours for 2008?

First off - if you want system performance and speed, get yourself two Raptors and run them in RAID0. Your clients will thank you when they all try to use the system at the same time.

Secondly - why are you sticking with IDE DVD burners? If you're planning on using all of the burners at the same time you'll run into bandwidth limitations on your PCI bus, and chances are you'll be getting buffer underruns constantly. I doubt that you'll be able to find an IDE card on PCI-E.

Another option for the case is the CoolerMaster Stacker 810. It's got room for 11 5.25" drives, and plenty of space for everything else.

ok, so two Raptors and run them in RAID0 would be a better performance.... nice

am still sticking with the Thermaltake Case

and also a pci-e ide adapter would prevent buffer under runs or is it better to use SATA dvdrw drives with a addon pci-e sata non-raid controller card?

tell me where can i find these controller cards

and also a pci-e ide adapter would prevent buffer under runs or is it better to use SATA dvdrw drives with a addon pci-e sata non-raid controller card?
There is no use in buying IDE anymore, go with SATA all the way.

You definitely don't need a RAID controller for DVD drives, getting a simple non-RAID controller will save you some cash.

Keep in mind that your mainboard (if you choose the one you mentioned) has eight SATA ports already. It's good to leave some room for expansion, but there is no use in buying a controller which will leave you with lots of empty ports.

Do you really need that many DVD drives (a total of 8)?

I would choose a G5 (v2) rather than the MX518, because I don't like the very smooth and glossy finish of the MX518 (even the slightest pieces of dirt will stick to it and make it uncomfortable).

You should consider replacing the video card to something more powerful if you plan on using it for gaming.

How are you planning to backup all your data? Don't forget to think about that too when buying a new system.

USB 3.0??? It's not said to be introduced until maybe 2009.

We'll have to wait and see what my own rig for 08 will be, I will most likely buy a new rig later this year when I graduate (university) and hopefully get a job. It's been long overdue with a replacement for my old machine (P4 3.4C/2GB/7600GS), but the uncertainty for the future that comes with being a student (when and where will I get a job, which additional expenses will that bring about?) has kept me from buying a new system (well, I could've bought it but I like to be safe just in case).

Just a big word of warning... you'll have a hard time connecting your DVD drives to a SATA controller card that's designed for use in RAID. I haven't been able to find any SATA RAID controller cards that support ATAPI.

That being said, if you really want to keep all 8 DVD drives, buy the DVR-215 model instead of the 115, connect them all onto the motherboard, and use a PCIe controller card for your hard drives (not PCI).

Just a big word of warning... you'll have a hard time connecting your DVD drives to a SATA controller card that's designed for use in RAID. I haven't been able to find any SATA RAID controller cards that support ATAPI.

That being said, if you really want to keep all 8 DVD drives, buy the DVR-215 model instead of the 115, connect them all onto the motherboard, and use a PCIe controller card for your hard drives (not PCI).

Those based on the Silicon Image 3112 and 3512 chipsets do, flawlessly, in both IDE and RAID modes. (See http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=110235) I run all four of my Pioneer DVR-212Ds on a single PCI Silicon Image 3512 based SATA RAID card. You want your high bandwidth items (ie: hard drives) on the southbridge of the motherboard where they're not restricted by the PCI bus, where for optical drives, it doesn't matter as much since they have a lower peak bandwidth.

Something like this would work fine : http://www.syba.com/Product/Info/Id/330

Another thing is that software RAID cards like those one can be flashed in IDE mode furthering SATA ATAPI compatibility even more.

Edited by jcarle

Using this system to run up 10 VM or Terminals for internet cafe users.

Expensive setup you have there, just for Office / internet apps for the customers...

I would keep complete systems if I was you but stick with Windows; Users just hate it when it looks different then they are used too (sadly enough). Also gaming could work with interated graphics to start with ;).

hey guys thanks for your advise and yes a non-raid pci-e controller would do me good, now where can i find one?

and yes am planning to buy more hard drives soon, plus a gaming video card too...

yes USB 3.0 is not until 2009, i know but am just waiting

Expensive setup you have there, just for Office / internet apps for the customers...

not expensive, just think about it, when hardwares gone bad and need replacing for 10 machines :blink: , but with this rig i just replace hardware for only 1 PC