unknown internet activity

I have just a dial up internet connection. Using widows xp pro operating system.

Last thing I updated was IE cumulative update.

The problem is that when I open an internet connection, either through my broser (ie7 or Foxpro) or I just do a virus update, after finished, the connection keeps active with activity. It's as though I'm downloading something.

I let it run for about 31/2 hours, and activity continued the whole time. I finally closed the connection, but could find nothing new downloaded on my machine. Ran a virus scan and spyware scan, both clean. I have automatic updates turned off.

Thought tonight I would install comodo fire wall to see if it could tell me what on my machine is starting this.

Any other thoughts will be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Gary

Or TCPView from former Sysinternals, now Microsoft.

TCPView is OK, but it doesn't have any detailed information about the packets sent, and isn't a great way to track something if it opens and closes connections constantly, whereas the trace can be saved and opened and taken apart more easily and thoroughly. I like TCPView to see who's using a specific port (or range of ports), or to sometimes track long-running connections, but not for things like this. I like to watch this in a network monitor like netmon or wireshark.