SATA HDD Running HOT I think

Is it normal for SATA Hdd's to run hot I have one out side of my case and when I touch it after it has been running for 2 hours it is very hot to the touch. Is this normal?? It is a Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 400 Gig SATA 3.0gb drive.

I am running HD Tune and wanted to no what a normal range is and when I should get worried if it gets to a certain temp.?

Also what are some good ways to keep it cool once I but it back in the case? Should I put it in a 3.5 bay and have fans blowing on it or put it in a 5 1/4 removable case in the tower?

Thanks

Edited by tim_ver

I have two internal 300GB Seagates and they are currently at 34 and 35C - they have a very slow fan in front of them. Ambient temp is maybe 17-18C. For my main drives I would find up to 40C acceptable. If they got up to 40 I would probably open the case and speed up the fan until it got cool enough.

Any time I use an external 3.5" HD I make sure to use a fan, as they get too hot otherwise. By "too hot", I personally consider 40+C to be too hot (warm?), up to maybe 50 would be fine for brief occasional use. The only drive I have that ever gets hotter than 49C is the one inside my Dell GX280 SFF - that gets very very hot. The one time I looked at the temp it was at 60+C and very hot to the touch. Scary. Awful cooling in that PC, and the case is a bugger to add a fan to.

Edited by SmaugyGrrr

You can always go to your hard drive manufacturers website with your drive's model information and find out what the min/max temperatures are.

And the temperatures (for those who don't want to convert C to F) are as follows:

25C = 77F

45C = 113F

45C does seem to be getting a bit warm, though it should be fine.

Also, you can make HDTune show the temperatures in both C and F through the settings.

How about if I put it in a 5 1/4 inch swap bay? Ii am think of this as I do not have any room in the 3.5 bay area.
Don’t use the plastic ones, those only heat up your drive more.

Do you know your case temperature? Looks more like you are missing some air flow.

Give us your specs, and tell us if there is a case-fan behind the CPU cooler that takes the warm air out...