Administrator Account Becomes Limited!

radigast

I am using NLite 1.40, and have made many successful NLited copies of WindowsXP. However, I do NOT understand what is happening here.

I create a new user (let's call him "Tuggy") in the "User" tab of the "Unattended" section. I assign Tuggy everything he would need to become the administrator and autlogon (Local group = adminstrator; Password expiration = "enable" and "0 Days"; Autlogon = Tuggy; LogonCount = 0; Password is left blank; Must have password = enabled; Can change password = enabled).

post-158493-1198915542_thumb.jpg

However, upon reinstallation, Tuggy is a limited user!

post-158493-1198915550_thumb.jpg

Since WPI runs after Tuggy is logged on, nothing can be installed because Tuggy is not seen as the administrator, which is a HUGE problem!

post-158493-1198915532_thumb.jpg

What gives?? I have used this exact version of NLite to create an adminstrator account with the EXACT same options and EXACT same programs/hotfixes/etc... being integrated/installed with NO problems.

Here is an attachment of my NLite settings .ini file.

PERFECT.INI

I'm pulling my hair out over this...any help? Thanks.

Edited by radigast

1. Try nLite 1.4.1.

2. If you dont want a password for Tuggy, check the box for "Blank password" and uncheck the box for "Must have password".

I dont know if either will help but give it a try.

I'm having the same problem with nLite 1.4.1 with the settings that you gave. In fact, that was the first setting I tried when I was creating my XP install disc. Any help on solving this would be much appreciated. :blushing:

• 3 weeks later...

actually, I have the same issue, and the Password expiration = "enable" and "0 Days" should not be the issue because setting the expiration to 0 makes it so that the password never expires (the enable check box however, seems to randomly revert to being checked when I had unchecked it, but that's another issue). I guess I'll just have to rename the default admin account and not be able to setup a second one.

Edited by coch

• 2 months later...

so... does anyone has any idea as to what the issue could be. I still did not manage to fix the problem, I got the expiration problem again today even though I disabled password expiration as always.

nuhi, I may have additional info on this. Looks like the password expiration settings are not saved properly to the last_session_u.ini file, at least under certain conditions. Basically, my settings are as such:

User #1 = Administrator (renamed to "coch"). Autologon = None. Logon count = 0. Password expiration = false. Blank password = false. Must have password = true. Can change password = true.

User #2 = leyabe (Power User). Autologon = None. Logon count = 0. Password expiration = false. Blank password = true. Must have password = false. Can change password = false.

Guest account is disabled.

The issue is that unchecking the Password expiration is not being honored. This happens with the latest beta 1.4.5 as well.

A simple way to test this is:

1) Stay on the screen where you configure user accounts, remove the check box for Password expiration, for all users.

2) Verify by clicking on each user that the password expiration is really deselected.

3) Save your preset.

4) Browse to your preset file you just saved, and check the sequence of true and false under the [users] section. You will see that the setting for password expiration has been saved as "true"

5) Immediately reloading the preset at this point will also revert the Password expiration check box to checked instead of unchecked. Edit: I was wrong on this one, looks like there isn't even a True/False for the password expiration and thus, the setting does not get saved in the presets file. Still, the issue remains that the box reverts on being checked when loading my preset and my isos are such that Windows will eventually ask for a password even though I always uncheck the password expiration.

I hope this helps fixing the issue.

Edited by coch

• 2 months later...

i have similiar problem. everytime i add an account with administrator rights in my unattended installation of winxp (both home & pro) it has no rights after installing winxp - cannot format disc, rename folder or (un)install anything. in winxp pro i can set default administrator account autologon option, but in winxp home this option is disabled. could anyone help me?