Making a Link from computer to Laptop using Network Cable

Masta #2

Hey Folks

I have a question.

I need to Connect a Laptop to a Computer of mine to transfer data between them but u can't place a Harddrive like that in a laptop. Can i use the Network Cable directly to transfer from the Laptop to computer or is there a other way ?

If annybody can help me :rolleyes:

Greets and Merry X-mas

It is called creating a network and yes you can do it. You will need a cross-over LAN cable (CAT5 will do just fine), setting the adresses of the laptop and the pc, subnet masks and workgroup then sharing the folder(s) you need to copy.

It is called creating a network and yes you can do it. You will need a cross-over LAN cable (CAT5 will do just fine), setting the adresses of the laptop and the pc, subnet masks and workgroup then sharing the folder(s) you need to copy.

So i can just put in a cable i use to connect a Modem to a Computer but them for computer to a laptop ?

And do you know other ways ?

So i can just put in a cable i use to connect a Modem to a Computer but them for computer to a laptop ?

In your first post, you talk about a network cable. If here you are talking about an adsl modem, maybe that cable can do (8 wires and RJ45 connector). If you are talking about a serial cable to a 56k modem (or older equivalent device), no. Or maybe yes but we have to know what we are talking about.

Today, the easiest way to transfer data between 2 computers that are not physically connected is a USB stick. That is if both computers are manufactured after 1997 (I guess if you are posting in the XP forum, they are). If you still want to go network, if one is fairly recent and has a Gigabit network card, you can use a normal network cable. If both are "non Gigabit", you need to use a crossover cable as stated by nitroshift.

Third easy way is to burn the data on CD/DVD.

Not the modem cable. It requires a network cable. Network cables look a lot like phone/modem cables, but trust me from experience, they aren't.

You just need a short ethernet cable. You can probably find one for not too much money at a local computer store. They look like this:

10baseT_cable.jpeg

Now, both computers will need to have a network adapter, which is where you'll plug this in. Just plug one end into the laptop and the other into the other computer. Now, windows will probably pop up with a notice saying that there is limited connectivity. Double-click on that icon, click properties. Then find "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)". Select it and click properties. Then choose the "assign manual IP address" radio button. Enter any private IP address - you can just use 192.168.0.3 for one and 192.168.0.4 for the other if you like.

Now you need to create a network share. Go to some folder on your HDD you want to share, and right-click, then choose "Sharing and security". By default, if simple file sharing (:puke:) is on, then you'll have to click "Allow me to share documents over the network" or something like that. Don't choose to use network setup wizard when it asks you if you want to. Now, give the folder a share name. go to the other computer, open the run dialog and type \\computername\sharename, where computername is the name of the other computer, and sharename is the name of the file share.

This should work. If it doesn't let us know, as sometimes firewalls and such can mess stuff up.

EDIT: Yes, a USB flash drive would be better. They're dirt cheep, too.

Edited by Idontwantspam

Just use a flash drive, much easier. A cross over cable has many limitations, such as slow speed, and you can only go one direction, ie you can share a printer on one computer but not both.

-gosh

@Masta #2 -

just remember what nitroshift said - a crossover lan cable. these are cables that have the send/receive "reversed" on one end. they can be made or purchased. otherwise, you will need an intermediary "home networking/workgroup box" and two lan cables. you cannot just connect a standard lan cable between the two.

you should easily be able to find info on how to make one on the internet (somewhere).

and yes you can share bi-directionally... make/buy the cable and do as nitroshift said.

Edited by submix8c

you cannot just connect a standard lan cable between the two.

Um? I've done that before and it worked fine... :whistle:

interesting... in light of this -

http://www.littlewhitedog.com/content-8.html

so where did you get this magical "non-crossed-over" crossover cable?

edit - my bad :blushing: ... more info here -

http://www.conniq.com/WinXPNetworking_Ethe..._connection.htm

Please note, if one of your computers has an auto-crossover (a.k.a. auto-switching or auto-MDI/MDIX) Ethernet port, you can connect them using either crossover or straight-through cable
Edited by submix8c

I bought a normal, regular old standard Cat-5 Ethernet cable. Hooked it up between my laptop and a desktop. Both are dells with onboard broadcom NIC's. It's possible that they are this special auto-crossover kind, i don't know. But it's always worked fine for me...