LCD Monitor Refresh Rates

Conan

What is the ideal refresh rate for LCD monitors? With conventional CRT's I remember that 85hz up was easier on the eyes along with less dizziness/headaches. So when I got my LCD I would set it at the highest rate 75. It always seemed to tire my eyes faster than my CRT. By accident after a reformat, I left it at 60hz. I started wondering why I wasn't getting to eye-strained after a while and I remembered that I left it at 60hz! Anybody else with a similar eXPerience? :cool:

What about crt moniters? I just put my moniter @ 1280x1024 and 75hz. I have noticed some eye strian, does the hz have somthing to do with it? whats the optimal HZ for 1280x1024?

-drew [/quote:5161c3ce1d]

For CRT's it should be 85HZ minimum. If you can set it higher so much the better.

Work lcd at 1280x1024 60Hz

home crt at 1280x1024 75Hz

I seem to get more eye strain from the work monitor, dont know if level of concentration has ne thing to do with it???

Does ne1 use those screen filters on their monitors???..are they ne good or are they mainly for filtering the level of sunlight???

You can try out some of the cheaper screen filters just to see if they work for you. With my LCD I use one at night because the screen is too bright even if I lower the contast and brightness settings. I don't use it in the daytime though.

For CRT's it should be 85HZ minimum. If you can set it higher so much the better.[/quote:d60bd2d12d]

In my moniter setings 6ohz is the defalt, but i can unhide the options, right now i have it set to 75hz, its been like that for a few days now, with no trouble. If i bump it up to 85hz or even keep it at this level will i be damaging my moniter?

The moniter is about 5 yrs old but its still nice, It was one of those rediculesly expensive moniters, its a Nec C550.

Thankx

-drew

In my moniter setings 6ohz is the defalt, but i can unhide the options, right now i have it set to 75hz, its been like that for a few days now, with no trouble. If i bump it up to 85hz or even keep it at this level will i be damaging my moniter?

The moniter is about 5 yrs old but its still nice, It was one of those rediculesly expensive moniters, its a Nec C550.

Thankx

-drew [/quote:d75fb019ea]

You would have to check your monitor's manual if it supports that refresh rate. If your manual is gone, maybe check their web site? It might get damaged if it does not support rates higher than 75.

What size monitors are you guys using?

I'm running 1024x768 @ 85hz on a 17"CRT

There are several factors to consider for the cause of eye strain.

1: Refresh rate

2: Distance from screen

3: Screen size

4: Your general eye sight condition

5: Brightness & contrast settings

6: Room lighting

Running 1280x1024 75Hz - 32color on a compaq 17" monitor....can go to 85Hz

[b:4fa457233a]Drewdatrip[/b:4fa457233a] whats 1280x1024 like on a 15" screen??? [/quote:4fa457233a]

A 17 inch CRT only has 15 inches viewable. With LCD's they rate it by the viewable portion only. Hence a 15" LCD has 15 inches of viewable screen.

Running 1280x1024 75Hz - 32color on a compaq 17" monitor....can go to 85Hz [/quote:3ee24a3801]

My CRT is a 17in, but i said veiwable, which is 15in..so its not as bad as you thought, in fact, your probly staring at the same screen size as me bub....:)

Drewdatrip whats 1280x1024 like on a 15" screen???[/quote:3ee24a3801]

As far as i can tell pretty good. Although this moniter is old and small, it puts out nice color, its crisp, and clear.

Its really hard to buy a 300 doller moniter, thats only a few inches bigger,especilly when the one i got works well....and knock on wood, WONT f***IN DIE....hehe

:rolleyes:

-drew