NLite for a Gaming Application

PedroSanchez

Is there anyone that has developed an NLite reduced version of XP Pro with gaming in mind?

I'm looking for high performance with a reduced footprint made from a legitimate copy of XP. So far I cannot figure out with certainty what needs to stay and what needs to go.

I have used the tutorial for the eeePC and have a basic understanding as to how NLite works, but their goal was just a small footprint, not necessarily high performance. How do you do both?

If possible, could someone post their "ini" for NLite that may work for this scenario?

Thanks

I'm actually creating a completely stripped version of XP SP2 Home just for gaming. I have mine down to around eighty-nine megabytes in size and with drivers installed takes up about around sixty to sixty-five megabytes of RAM. I'm still no where finished with it since I'm still working on my regular install version.

i need one for internet.. games.. and music production

lets get a version for internet/games and go share it.

You can skip alot of "useless" features if you skip IE and use FF, as for music production... be more specific, music production as in recordings (like live audio whatever editing or perhaps cutting audio for a certain band/artist, just for example...) an such, or editing/remixing digital audio?

As for gaming it all depends on if your taking online based games (and I'm sure you are) in mind, and for that you can tweak most XP settings depending on what kind of games your playing. For FPS you might wanna keep some stuff like that codec (I assume it was called ACM?) for F.E.A.R and other games I guess.

I could post a nlite setup, but I'm kinda out of internet connectivity (currently spending my time in this "internet cafe") so I might get my broadband back say in a couple of days since I moved to a new location.

Oh and please dont define your version for "pure gaming", as "pure gaming" these days are mainly online based ones ;)

i need one for internet.. games.. and music production

lets get a version for internet/games and go share it.

You can skip alot of "useless" features if you skip IE and use FF, as for music production... be more specific, music production as in recordings (like live audio whatever editing or perhaps cutting audio for a certain band/artist, just for example...) an such, or editing/remixing digital audio?

As for gaming it all depends on if your taking online based games (and I'm sure you are) in mind, and for that you can tweak most XP settings depending on what kind of games your playing. For FPS you might wanna keep some stuff like that codec (I assume it was called ACM?) for F.E.A.R and other games I guess.

I could post a nlite setup, but I'm kinda out of internet connectivity (currently spending my time in this "internet cafe") so I might get my broadband back say in a couple of days since I moved to a new location.

Oh and please dont define your version for "pure gaming", as "pure gaming" these days are mainly online based ones ;)

i want to cut as much as i can and install anything necessary upon initial installation of such software.

i want to be sure all future installs can properly register.. i seen a huge list of software requirements, but i didnt see anywhere where it says those things cant be installed if obtained and registered.

i think all my music stuff will install all of its own drivers and services to run.. i dunno if i could delete windows audio or not, but the communication between hardware and software should be very clear.. which is why i believe those such audio programs bypass the windows audio install.. speaking more directly to the hardware.

Hello guys,

I have just made a Custom OS (XP Home), i made it specifically for Gaming, most of the pretty Appearance features are gone, Some good Registry Tweaks, Classic login mode, and lots of Components removed and some services also removed. The services left are just for Printer/Scanner, Sound (Codec) and the essential to make it run stable and efficient.

Unfortunately i have two minor adjustment to make, they are only very small; in fact i am using the same OS right now. The adjustment are some Classic start menu Items and one Appearance feature left on.

I am new here so i do not know your policy on Uploading Custom OS and posting the Link here, but i will eventually upload it once it is 100% Completed.

Post any request on add ons: Current add ons are: Firefox, Peer Guardian and CCleaner.

Hello guys,

I have just made a Custom OS (XP Home), i made it specifically for Gaming, most of the pretty Appearance features are gone, Some good Registry Tweaks, Classic login mode, and lots of Components removed and some services also removed. The services left are just for Printer/Scanner, Sound (Codec) and the essential to make it run stable and efficient.

Unfortunately i have two minor adjustment to make, they are only very small; in fact i am using the same OS right now. The adjustment are some Classic start menu Items and one Appearance feature left on.

I am new here so i do not know your policy on Uploading Custom OS and posting the Link here, but i will eventually upload it once it is 100% Completed.

Post any request on add ons: Current add ons are: Firefox, Peer Guardian and CCleaner.

is it masterful?

im probably gonna delete the sound part and not knowing the registry tweaks sucks for me.. it gets me all ill and i do registry tweaks myself, but your list may be larger.

i wouldnt mind getting rid of the printer/scanner either because i dont use the thing that much.. time has taught that.

• 2 years later...

Not to bring up an old thread, but this fits my situation perfectly.

I'd like to make a XP Home SP3 specifically for gaming. It'll be used in a dual boot with Ubuntu, so no internet required.

In the meantime I'm going to play around with nLite.

But if anyone has a config/tips on nLite just for gaming, I'd appreciate it.

EDIT: Fiddling with nLite here... first test compressed XP to ~160 MB with SP3 (is that even possible?)

I'm going to do another build in a bit, this time by removing everything then adding what I want.

I'll attach my "LastSession.ini" once I'm done.

Edited by yellowsnow4free