Intel® Desktop Board D945GCCR not compatible with windows 2000?

rjisinspired

I have read posts on Motherboards gradually becoming scarce for windows 98 but for win 2000?

I bought an Intel Desktop Board D945GCCR a little while back and when going to the intel site for drivers there doesn't appear to be any updates for windows 2000. Before April of this year I was a die-hard win 98 user until I got fed up with program compatibility and switched over. Now I will be putting together a newer system. I have been running on an intel 2 compaq presario since 1999, lol.

Does anyone know if the intel D945GCCR board will work with a windows 2000 system ? I don't really want to upgrade to XP at this time but I may not have a choice? I looked around but couldn't find anything except the microsoft "something" program of reliability not doing further testing with windows nt systems like 2000?

Thanks.

my opinion is its easier to start with an OS and take out what you don't like (Nlite, Disable SVCS, ETC) than it is to try to take an OS you do like and patch and hack it to work on next gen hardware.

Trying to cut Vista down to a win2k hardware footprint might be a little optimistic, but you can easily knock XP down a few notches on bloat scale and get a pretty smooth OS to boot. (ok seriously the OS/boot pun was unintentional but im leaving it in)

AFAIK, Microsoft still accepts manufacturers looking for hardware certification (WHQL) for windows 2000 but in this case, Intel may have decided not to test/certify the board for 2k. You can try to use the XP drivers on the 2K system and they might work. Intel may have left the info in the INFs if the drivers were built for 2k but just taken them off the support list but I think youd be better off trimming XP down to look and act like 2k (not that you should need to -any CPu that'll install on the 945 chipset should handle XP in all its bloated glory just fine)

I don't think you're going to have a problem. Relatively speaking, that's an older Intel chipset. Instead of trying to match the exact board, try the chipset: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_res...mp;submit=Go%21

The latest INF seems to be available. There is an older RAID/AHCI (SATA) driver. Intel is not improving upon their SATA drivers for Win2K, but the INF drivers should get you through (before trying to hack up later SATA drivers), and for your older board, try the older SATA driver.

Thanks guys for the info. I'll give those intel links a go. If that doesn't pan out I'll just go with XP. Nlite is the stripped down versions? I think I have that page saved somewhere.

I'm guessing this new computer will be much better than what I have been running since 1999.

Old system:

Compaq presario 5822

Intel 810 chipset

4 megs onboard video

ESS pc solo 1 sound blaster 16 bit sound

256 megs ram, was original 96, lol.

500 mghz processor intel 2, upgradeable to 600 only at the time I asked some years ago

USB 2.0? what's that? Not on this board

New system:

Ultrabox microfly

Intel D945GCCR

might get a video card, not going to be playing games or anything, just editing simple video

Audigy SE 24 bit sound card

2GB ram

intel 3.0 ghz processor

The old system could do thing ok with the exception of video processing. Heck, a dvd takes about 16-18 hours to create, lol. 4 fps processing in virtualdub. I don't know how far the improvement will be but probably much better than what I have currently. For an old crusty machine it has stood the test of time and continues. I still have the original quantum fireball drive I had been running for almost 8 years and it is still in good health. Only reason I switched it with a new hard drive was because 12 gigs was not enough.

Edited by rjisinspired

Thanks guys for the info. I'll give those intel links a go. If that doesn't pan out I'll just go with XP. Nlite is the stripped down versions? I think I have that page saved somewhere.

I'm guessing this new computer will be much better than what I have been running since 1999.

Old system:

Compaq presario 5822

Intel 810 chipset

4 megs onboard video

ESS pc solo 1 sound blaster 16 bit sound

256 megs ram, was original 96, lol.

500 mghz processor intel 2, upgradeable to 600 only at the time I asked some years ago

USB 2.0? what's that? Not on this board

New system:

Ultrabox microfly

Intel D945GCCR

might get a video card, not going to be playing games or anything, just editing simple video

Audigy SE 24 bit sound card

2GB ram

intel 3.0 ghz processor

The old system could do thing ok with the exception of video processing. Heck, a dvd takes about 16-18 hours to create, lol. 4 fps processing in virtualdub. I don't know how far the improvement will be but probably much better than what I have currently. For an old crusty machine it has stood the test of time and continues. I still have the original quantum fireball drive I had been running for almost 8 years and it is still in good health. Only reason I switched it with a new hard drive was because 12 gigs was not enough.

Let me know how it goes. I can't offer any real commentary on the sound (shouldn't be a problem), but you should not have any problems with Win2000 for the Intel chipset link above. I ran 2000 on a dell with that chipset and it ran great. Then again, with 2 Gigs of RAM, XP certainly won't be a problem. Good luck

Well, everything is fine, ram is detected, fans are spinning and ready to..... not yet. I swapped the harddrive with windows 2000 that I am using with the older system into the new computer and right after 1 second at the windows 2000 logo screen a stop error, blue screen, saying that ACPI bios is not compatible with the ACPI spec. ok, no problem, microsoft outlines the issue and I get ready to connect up the CD/DVD drive to load windows 2000 and boot files. Problem: Connecting up the CD drive disconnects both the hard drive and CD drive, aren't detected in bios as being enabled and I get text saying "No boot devices enabled - press any key to continue" but when I disconnect the CD drive the harddrive reappears and function normally, uhm, lol. Talk about a rock and a hard place.

The CD/DVD is set to be the first boot device. At least I'm getting closer :rolleyes:

The motherboard CD does have windows 2000 specific files which I am viewing from my old system right now. Could it be an IDE cable that may be faulty?

Edited by rjisinspired

Thanks Punto, I'll give that a shot tomorrow.

This back and forth with hard drives from old to new computer is an exercise, lol. Out of giggles I did attempt at installing the old quantum drive with 98SE on it. No errors, win98 loaded and I counted about tons of new hardware boxes appearing because of the new board of course, lol. Got to like number 12 until things kind of froze on me and ditched that idea altogether.

I'll have the place the new computer somewhere else once things are working. I have two cats and I find myself plucking cat hairs out from time to time, mainly from floppy drives. Seems that A: drives get nasty looking in there very easily.

I have two cats and I find myself plucking cat hairs out from time to time, mainly from floppy drives. Seems that A: drives get nasty looking in there very easily.

Just clean it out from time to time, you can also buy filters that you can place in front of the case but still air will be sucked trough the CD/DVD drive and floppy as you stated. Make sure your cats don’t get sucked in :P. By the way, it’s time you start to look for some SATA drives...

Is there an intel uninstaller for the 810 chipset and software? I do not see any entries in add/remove, nor in program files, for the drivers, not even the graphics software I had installed a long time ago? I went to intel's site but couldn't find any information if older intel files had to be removed or not.

Thanks.

Edit: Here is some info I saved on what typo of cpu, bios and board the older machine has - just for laughs:

Board:

http://rjschat.dyndns.org:8080/paranoha/do...otherboard.html

Bios:

http://rjschat.dyndns.org:8080/paranoha/docs/Bios.html

CPU:

http://rjschat.dyndns.org:8080/paranoha/do...CPU%20info.html

Edited by rjisinspired

I have come to the realization that I will be getting a secondary hard drive and possibly XP.

The new system's only hope is that a clean drive will be able to remedy the ACPI issue. I have played with the power setup in bios enabling/disable and then setting things back to defaults. I have tried bios flashes and board updates to the extremes such as physically removing and replacing back HAL compnents through command line.

Hitting F7 disables ACPI from being implemented during a reinstall of windows 2000 which shows up as an install/upgrade option. Problem is, MS and intel don't outline what to do in the event that a recovery cannot take place and just hangs. After the F7 deal, or f5 for manually selecting computer types, things should had been good to go. The intel and MS instructions should have worked but for some reason it would not. Before trying again I flashed the board with a new bios and afterward reverted back. Same problem with the blue screen error of ACPI compliancy.

The original harddrive eventually got corrupt in the latter part of the process and I had no other alternative but to do a fresh install of window 2000 on my older computer.

Other than this the new system is indeed healthy and operational. I do thank all who have helped out and have given suggestions. Maybe that the new system needs a fresh, bare, drive in the first place with a fresh operating system? I'll be getting another western digital and not swap back and forth like I have been.