2k install hangs on "Saving settings"

videobruce

I must of done a couple of dozen 2k installs, but this is the first time I had one hang on "Saving settings"

I rebooted once, it picked up before that portion of the install process, but it again hung at the same spot.

I'm using a nLite edited 2k install w/ sp4 slipstreamed. I have used nLite with XP with no issue, but this was the first time I used it with 2k.  This is on a systen that has a different HDD and video card, but the same PS, MB, processor & memory. I haven't tested the HDD with the utility from the manufacture for any errors yet, but I formatted ok through the Windows install.

As far as stopping services from running, would any of that have anything to do with the install, namely stopping at 'Saving settings'??

Any ideas??

Edited by videobruce

Attach the preset so that I can try it. This issue is known, cause is any error during installation while keeping SFC enabled. You can disable it in the Options - Patches, but also finding the error during installation is a better choice.

I tried another session and the same thing. This time I didn't do as many custom settings as before and less drivers.

Here are the 'presets' from both sessions:

While we are at it, I looked over the text and saw all the references to foreign languages and keyboards that I wanted removed. Did I do it wrong or should they be listed?

Edited by videobruce

I tried it and unfortunately it didn't hang. Which brings to conclusion that maybe this works in combination with hardware drivers being installed.

I'm trying all kinds of presets reporting this issue and still haven't came to any conclusion, seems very weird. Gonna compare with old nLite.

WFP/SFC is what runs at saving settings, read for more into in nlite-options-pathes page, you can disable it, no harm done and it won't hang. But still it has to be fixed.

What kind of installation did you choose ?

It´s missing in the LSinis... :whistle:

And nlite is not removing it !

So your presets seem to be corrupted somehow.

Better start completely from scratch !

Fresh source and a reliable updatepack or list.

Tried several of those "stuck by T-9 presets" myself, as far as they were applicable to an AMD/ VIA chipset, non SATA.

Never got stuck, even though the hardware (see sig) is ancient and the external is even wierd (Amiga500 via 0Modem/ Mustek scanner @ parport,...)

Agi

P.S.:

Please remove the languages and keyboards in the LSinis, when you upload them, because it´s scrolling, scrolling and missing important entries, because the finger bleeds !

Edited by AgiHammerklau

Ok, I tried it again with SFC off and it completed the install.  I went to load a nForce2 UDP and the install hung for 45 seconds at the opening dialog box (whatever it said). I don't know what that was about, but it finally did install.

Can't be turned on, actually you would need to replace another file, it's all non-user friendly, I would rather fix it.
 So you are saying once it is turned off, it's off and you can't easily restore it? Sounds as that isn't/shouldn't be a option.

Questions;

1. Is this AMD specific or is it with both AMD and Wintel based MBs'??

2. Has it been narrowed down any?

3. If I do a straight nLite procedure, NOT using ANY customizing option, other than slipstreaming a SP and burning the CD, does it still do it with a problem system??

It´s missing in the LSinis...

Tried several of those "stuck by T-9 presets"

Please remove the languages and keyboards in the LSinis, when you upload them, because it´s scrolling, scrolling and missing important entries, because the finger bleeds !

Huh???  I have no idea what any of that is suppose to mean.
Check this topic:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=717883

Let me know if you try anything.

Sorry, I never saw that. Might as well merge these two threads together. Edited by videobruce

Ok, I tried it again with SFC off and it completed the install. I went to load a nForce2 UDP and the install hung for 45 seconds at the opening dialog box (whatever it said). I don't know what that was about, but it finally did install.
Can't be turned on, actually you would need to replace another file, it's all non-user friendly, I would rather fix it.
So you are saying once it is turned off, it's off and you can't easily restore it? Sounds as that isn't/shouldn't be a option.

Questions;

3. If I do a straight nLite procedure, NOT using ANY customizing option, other than slipstreaming a SP and burning the CD, does it still do it with a problem system??

It´s missing in the LSinis...

Tried several of those "stuck by T-9 presets"

Huh??? I have no idea what any of that is suppose to mean.
Check this topic:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=717883

Let me know if you try anything.

Sorry, I never saw that. Might as well merge these two threads together.

Disable SFC is actually a good thing for people who customize their Windows. You can enable it by editing reg entry but then it would complain too much, more frequent popups than what you get if kept enabled.

Trying now to provoke hang and checking differences with 1.3.5.

This is one of those weird bugs, but that's the only kind left.

You can enable it by editing reg entry but then it would complain too much,
Where? Complain about what?

Questions;

Edited by videobruce

Search in regedit for sfcdisable key, then delete it i guess, or google how to use it, it's widely known.

1. I think it doesn't matter, I had it once on 2k in virtual machine, only when removing NetDDE, no one else confirmed so I returned that component.

2. I'm only 2 hours on this matter, last night and today.

3. Read 2 :)

4. Yes, always was: http://www.nliteos.com/download.html down under Previous (non-beta) versions

2. I'm only 2 hours on this matter, last night and today.
Sorry, I thought this was a know issue according to that other thread.

I'm going to try V1.3.5

BTW, I really love this program (other than the 'glitch'). I would like to thank you for all you have done and I wish I was able to do 1/10th as much.

As far as the system it is bveing installed in;

Epox 8RDA MB w/ nForce2 chipset (using on board audio),

AMD Throughbred B 2100,

2 256MB PC2700 DDR memory sticks,

Asus V3800 video card (TNT M64 chipset),

Two IDE drives,

Two optical drives,

Netgear NIC

(Not overclocked)

Edited by videobruce