Just built a rig

suryad

No. 780i working with Intel Penryn is a reality. Heck even with 680i it will be a reality. Intel just tweaked something between the ES and the retail versions whether on purpose or not I dont know. I dont care. All I care is that SLI with Penryn will work and it will according to the Asus tech because the boards are ready.

English isn't my native idiom.

I was reading this post from beginning. I'm proud of it, because I discovered several kinds of personality, and I suppose that average of age must be 21/25. I'm an old (retired) man, 58 years old. I work with computers since 1973, mainframes (runnin DOS on IBM mainframes). With mainframes you have to work near the edge, because they are (or were) very expensive. You must save every bit of space, the jobs (programs) must run fast and allocating minimium resources.

Actually I'm runnin XP and Vista on dual boot (Partition Magic) and feelin the same way was with 2K and XP, but I have a simple question, that I believe will be the answer for all this:

syriad what do you intend to do with your machine? or what It built for?

Before you do something, you need a reason to do it.

Hmm my parents always told me to act my age...I am 26...but I still am not even to this day I guess because a board member just figured out how old I am :P

I am building this machine so I can game, so I can run stuff that I use for work and also cause its very fast! Games I am talking about Crysis and all the new and nextgen games that will be coming out. And we ALL know how hard Crysis is on your system. For work, I am a J2EE developer and though Java is not the fastest language even this machine will be overkill for it. But I do need all that RAM so I can run all the main components of Oracle's SOA suite on my machine without running out of resources. That includes running Oracle XE that takes 1 gb RAM right away, running the SOA suite application server that takes another GB RAM, running the BAM server that should take another gig of RAM and the rest will be for the rest of the OS and the IDE etc. Also I dont buy machines every year and nor do I upgrade ever year so I figured its an expense but its not too bad since I will prob upgrade once every few years. Also I like having sort of the cutting edge stuff because it is fun to tinker around and play with. And the 30 inch screen is not to show off, its a productivity boost especially with all the windows I can leave open and I can tile the windows and thus navigate faster. But to drive that monitor I do need the powerful graphics card setup.

If I could afford it I ask why not? I guess with age people's priorities change. I just want to game, watch movies, and do work so I think of this machine as my compuhometheaterwork machine :) And if you thought my machine was expensive you should check out my motorbike!

Edited by suryad

Crysis eh?

Run it in XP with DX9, then look how to enable all the DX10 features.. like the water, the 'god' effect you can see sometimes in the clouds... etc.

I think there might be a thread here on MSFN. I think its called Crysis no need vista or something with terrible grammar like that.

Exactly. I have a thread bookmarked on all the options that are available in the game engine and how to create your own cfg file for the game so you can enable effects you want and so on. Seems there is virtually no difference between DX 9 and 10 except some performance as is the case with most DX 10 games and that is why I am sticking with XP.