Just built a rig

suryad

You still dont get it do you Zxian? XP is faster than Vista right now. That was my argument.

Sure... XP less than 5% faster than Vista in most games. Looks like you didn't read the article I sent you (or at least looked at the graphs). The performance difference in games today is negligible.

and I just took all that you said that were good about Vista and showed you that was not the case. That is why I am going with XP. The improvements are cosmetic in Vista. Pretty sparkly stuff. It just looks great on paper.
You didn't show me anything about it being "not the case". You just said that the current Explorer works for you and that you don't use the XP search (which is by no means a comparison for the Vista search). Don't get me started on hardware incompatibilities with Beryl - my system kept on crashing when I was using my onboard X3000 GPU. Vista Business with Aero enabled - works without a hitch. Why are you talking about "minimum specs" anyways - you've got a bloody SLI setup! :P

Look - it's your system, and ultimately you can do whatever you want with it. It'd just be a shame for you to have spent over $6,000 on computer hardware and not get the most out of it (and I'm not talking about raw number crunching ability - even XP loses in that regard). Just keep in mind that all the things you're saying about Vista now - that's what everyone said about XP 6 years ago.

Zxian you are correct that game performance NVidias drivers have caught up just about. There is still a bit of a delta and its only going to get better and better. There will be a time when Vista will be faster. I am about 75% sure of it. But its not about the games. IF you read that Mark Russinovich blog about all the problems that Vista has and the explanations of how they are fixing it...which is great IMO becaus they are fixing it, those are the problems I do not want to be affected by at all. I am sure with SP1 WHEN it comes out all that will be fixed. I will then read the reviews and see if SP1 made Vista better or not. If the answer is :thumbup I will grab a copy of the Home or maybe the Business edition Vista and save some cash and go x64. Dont really need Ultimate edition since I dont write on my screen and all the other crap that it comes with. And then I will vLite the hell out of it. And then it is worthy of going on to my machine. Also it makes sense to get the Vista DVD that already has SP1 built into it than keep downloading it every time I reinstall or slipstreaming it into vLite.

that's what everyone said about XP 6 years ago.

So, let´s wait till SP2 comes out for Vista ;).

Exactly! I am saying Vista is not ready to be on my system :P ...yet! Keyword is yet!

PS - I like this sort of bantering back and forth on the forums. Mods we are having an educated discussion here so please dont lock this thread! No one is taking it personally!

that's what everyone said about XP 6 years ago.

So, let´s wait till SP2 comes out for Vista ;).

LOL! That's true.

Or better yet, lets wait for the Alky libraries for XP so we can have DirectX 10 on it (the only compelling reason to buy Vista).

I will then read the reviews and see if SP1 made Vista better or not. If the answer is :thumbup I will grab a copy of the Home or maybe the Business edition Vista and save some cash and go x64. Dont really need Ultimate edition since I dont write on my screen and all the other crap that it comes with.

It comes with a couple of apps that premium doesn't. And a biger price tag. Premium is the better choice so far.

Also it makes sense to get the Vista DVD that already has SP1 built into it than keep downloading it every time I reinstall or slipstreaming it into vLite.

Just slipstream it into the DVD and then burn it. Everytime you need a tweaked version, use the burned DVD. No need to slipstream every single time. Do it once, burn it, and then use it over and over.

That's what I do with XP, and Server Standard.

I actually waited till SP1 before I went to XP from Windows 98. Though I did love 98.

Oh and since I dont have a mobo right now and my system is sitting in boxes...all I can do is look at stuff like this http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2007/11/3...deon_hd_3870/10 and imagine what my machine would be able to do....*sigh*

Edited by suryad

Did you wait until SP2 for XP before switching over from 98/2000? :P
Nope, this is when I came on MSFN thanks to nuhi, so that was when SP1 was released. I had the Windows 98SE version chopped to 50-60MB or so with directX 8.x ;). I was looking to replace the 16/32bit core for a real 32bit core :P. nLite made me go with XP :yes: (I have to blame some one).
Oh and since I dont have a mobo right now and my system is sitting in boxes...all I can do is look at stuff like this http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2007/11/3...deon_hd_3870/10 and imagine what my machine would be able to do....*sigh*
I don’t know, but after spending THIS much, why don’t you sell that mobo on eBay and get your self a compatible mobo, is it really worth waiting for NOTHING to happen soon, just keeping a few hundred bucks in your pocket... I know what I would do! :yes:

Did you wait until SP2 for XP before switching over from 98/2000? :P

I waited well after SP1 was released. I was using 2000 until then. Then I found nLite and I saw there were many more things you can do to XP.

What I've used so far:

Windows 3.11 + DOS

Windows 95

Windows 98SE (not bad, great for use on really old hardware)

Windows ME (not impressed, but it was better than 95)

Windows 2000 Pro

Windows XP + 2003 SP2 (they're the same OS to me with minor changes).

Ubuntu 6.06 (XFCE & Gnome variations) and Sabayon Linux, Suse 10.X, Gentoo (I forget which)

Vista 32-bit Home Premium

In that order.

Right now I'm sticking with Server 2003 SP2 and I'll move back to XP when SP3 is released.

edit: More OSes added. In color.

Edited by brucevangeorge

I don’t know, but after spending THIS much, why don’t you sell that mobo on eBay and get your self a compatible mobo, is it really worth waiting for NOTHING to happen soon, just keeping a few hundred bucks in your pocket... I know what I would do! :yes:

The problem that suryad's got right now is that there are no nVidia chipsets that support the Penryn-core CPUs. With the crazy-high resolution of the 30" screen... yea - you'd need SLI to get good performance. Personally - I'd just go get a Q6600 for the time being, and overclock it as much as you can (mine's at 3GHz and undervolted - I'm not even pushing the chip). Keep the QX9650 on the shelf until nVidia releases a new board that supports Penryn. When that's done, you'll have your main rig (with Penryn + SLI), and the fixings for a seconary system (Striker+Q6600) that you can use when a friend comes over to play. ;)

While we're at it listing our used operating systems...:P

• Win 3.11 + DOS
  • Windows 95
  • Windows 98 + 98SE
  • Windows ME (ugh)
  • Windows 2000 (Pro and Server)
  • Windows XP (Gold/SP1/SP2)
  • Windows 2003 (Gold/SP1/SP2)
  • Windows Vista (Basic/Home Premium/Business/Ultimate)
  • Ubuntu 5+
  • Fedora 5+
  • FreeBSD
  • CentOS5

I much prefer BSD to any Linux, but if I have to use a Linux distro, I'd go with some RHEL variant (Fedora/CentOS). I just find the setup structure of RHEL systems much better laid out than Debian-based systems. But I digress....

Good suggestions but I already returned the mobo and I am getting a full refund back. The Asus tech support guy said I have to wait till Christmas at the worst case before I can get the Asus Striker 2 Formula mobo. It is a long wait and I wont be surprised if it becomes Jan before I get my mobo but I think after spending 6k on a computer I need to take it easy and not spend any more!!!!!!

Who's BIOS is that? Did you go to the Asus site? I would be mighty ticked off if they just released the Penryn BIOS and I just RMAed my mobo!

ya i would be insanely p***ed to! i would still wait for the revision tho.

Who's BIOS is that? Did you go to the Asus site? I would be mighty ticked off if they just released the Penryn BIOS and I just RMAed my mobo!
The last one form ASUS my friend, it boots with the XQ9650...

*take a deep breath...*

You could not OC with it, at least it works. It doesn’t let you modify the FSB or the CPU multiplier...

But, I have to say I don’t have that board here in Mexico, I rely on information from forums and reviews when it comes to that motherboard…

Argh...oh well. I was intending on oclocking the FSB up to 400 at least anyway and bringing the multiplier down to 8 so I could have a 3.2 ghz oclocked CPU with the memory downlocked to 800 for 1:1. I am going to take solace in the fact that I couldnt have oclocked with that mobo...and just keep being patient...son of a......!