Just built a rig

suryad

Its not about the cds...its about bloat...

So I have a bit of a problem. The monitor came in. I cnnected a dual dvi to the card and to the back of the monitor...started up the computer..started up the monitor but it is still in standby mode. So does that mean that I need a smaller lower res monitor to install the OS and all that before I hook up the larger monitor? I mean right now there is no OS installed. Its either that or I messed up somewhere big time because computer turns on but there are no beeps or anything...it just turns on but its as if nobody is home...no POST no nothing. Suggestions?

btw I have all the hardware in including 4 sticks of ram and the cards in sli mode. I dont think thats the right way to go is it. I should install just one card first then do SLI?

the monitor shouldnt be the problem.

the major concern of mine is the BIOS. that is an old motherboard compared to your brand new cpu.

so a BIOS update is probably needed. what sucks is that you already have the cpu and heatsink mounted.. and odds are that you dont have another cpu to put in.

first try this, only use 1 stick of ram.

Well I see the CPU INIT message in the back of the motherboard. There is a little lcd panel there and that just goes straight to CPU INT. I dont think the CPU is at fault. It is more than likely the mobo is to blame. I am going to remove the CMOS battery, then I am going to set the CMOS jumper to reset, leave it out overnight, then go to frys and get a cheap crappy ddr2 667 mhz 512 mb memory and see if that boots with that. I think it could be the memory.

Yes sir tried with one stick of RAM no go. I think the problem is more serious in that the 45 nm Penryn is not compatible with the 680i Nvidia chipset. I googled that yesterday and that seems to be the general consensus. I do not know why I am surprised considering this IS Intel and Nvidia we are talking about. Nvidia would not let Intel license SLI technology. Intel now decides to screw with Nvidia that is the consensus. There is talk about bios updates being released for the 680i chipsets but it all seems pretty vague at this time. What I do not understand is why Intel would withold some microcode updates from Nvidia because, they are saying that CPUs would work with the 780i chipsets which are nothing more than 680i + PCI express 2.0 + 1 more PCI Express lane?

Anyway I got my monitor and it is a thing of beauty. This crap has definitely left a bad taste in my mouth. What I also do not understand is that all the reviewers of the Penryn and the Asus Striker mobos never said anything about the motherboards not being compatible. I guess the the best thing I can do is give Asus a call. :(

That’s REALLY bad :}.

http://processorfinder.intel.com/List.aspx?ProcFam=2559

http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&amp...amp;modelmenu=1

ASUS EVEN says its "ready" for the 45nm CPU.

Other brands with nVidia i680 chipset also confirm that the new QX9650 chip doesn’t boot.

People are changing there motherboards like crazy. :o

I spoke with the Asus support and looks like the Asus Striker 2 Formula is the next badass board and there is already a beta BIOS on their site. The Asus guy also said that some European shops already have the cards in their hands. We should be getting it as well by Christmas. I guess I am going to return my mobo to Newegg and wait it out for the 780i version which is guaranteed Penryn support.

The Asus guy also said that some European shops already have the cards in their hands.

I think I worked for these shops... those were the good days... always the golden samples to play with from ASUS :P. (there site is down so I can’t check... strange...).

@Suryad - That site is basing their entire conclusions on Office benchmarks... are you really going to use that as the be-all-and-end-all review?

Vista has far better x64 support than XP ever did. 64-bit systems have a built-in speed boost over 32-bit systems, just from the fact that there are 16 registers in use under x64, while only 8 are used in x86.

The problem with getting people to switch from one OS/Program to another is that the new program is often unfamiliar. Just last night, I told a friend to install Opera on his laptop - he then asked me "where's the home button?". I said there was none, and that with Opera, you just open a new tab. His immediate reaction - "Well this is getting uninstalled..."

You need to give Vista a chance. Yes, it might not stack up in some benchmarks, but overall in useability I find it much better than XP.