i386 directory

ajay

Have used i386 directory from C:\, created win51 files, and slipstreamed sp2 to create a clean unbundled installation of XP Home. However on this installation there is no longer a C:\i386 directory. Does anyone know how to load the i386 directory into c:\ path during setup/installation.

I am not sure the question is clear, at least it is not for me. :unsure:

You mean that you recreated a bootable XP Home install CD from the C:\I386 directory on your hard disk + some more files?

And that now you don't have anymore the C:\I386 contents?

I don't think you can make setup copying files to C:\I386 directory unless you create a UNATENDED.TXT file with this directive or you install using WINNT32.EXE, if this is the question, but you can manually copy the \I386 directory from CD to hard disk.

jaclaz

The question is very clear to me, he wants to end up with an installation that has a C:\i386 folder in it. To mara-; the XP disc is made, the install works. To Jaclaz; surely a simple command at the beginning or at the end of install would do the trick, I never attempted anything like this so I can't reply. To ajay; what's the point of that ? To all; cheers.

mara-; jaclaz; thanks for your replies. Ponch; the point - this issue was one of curiosity more than anything else. In the past I have used my restore disc (HP) to clean install but got sick of cleaning out all the bundled software, however this method left me with i386 directory in the root of C:. Since using nLite to create an installation from only i386 folder and required win51 files (and slipstreaming sp2), I no longer have this directory path. You are correct, there must be some command to enable this to happen. As I am fairly new to this, I wouldn't know where to start. mara-; I was sceptical of this method at first, but it works, I have it running on Microsft Virtual PC.

Cheers All.

@mara

Check this:

http://www.howtohaven.com/system/createwin...setupdisk.shtml

@ajay

Most probably the "restore disk" uses either an imaging system or a PE of some kind to perform the install.

Imaging back the directory structure is self-explaining with regards of the creation of the C:\I386 folder.

If the setup is started from a PE through WINNT32.EXE, it may use the /makelocalsource directive that will create the C:\I386, check this seemingly unrelated thread:

http://www.msfn.org/board/Poor-Man-s-RIS-PE-t13271.html

If you start the install from CD, you need to make it an unattended install, there are a few ways to have the C:\I386 folder created and populated with files, this is the "traditional" method, by gosh (Trick #1):

http://www.msfn.org/board/Gosh-s-Unattende...icks-t9453.html

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

jaclaz; Have checked out the links, this all looks quite involved. I think for the time being I will back up the i386, copy it to the new installation once done and create neccesary reg entries. I like to know how things work rather than just copy, so in the meantime I am going off to learn about sytem files and batch commands.

Links to any good tutorials would be appreciated.

Cheers all who replied.

ajay.

How about having it run

copy D:\i386 C:\i386

or something like that?

How about reading the given link to gosh's trick #1? :whistle:

You need to use xcopy to create the directory structure and copy the files....

...and you need to edit the Registry to avoud being pestered by "Please insert install CD" prompts!

jaclaz