Office & the reboot.js error announcment.

OK so far I have passed 3 tests with Office 07 full and Sharepoint Designer which I had been gettign the error with lately.

I had a brainstorm. Since something on the install process is locking the reboot file I decided why not try using an external script to call the msp file.... (So WPI watches the .exe instead of the Office install)

If you call the installer with a script and have a sleep of a bit (Like 1-2 minutes) all proccesses finish and everything goes on fine.

A bit more testing and some polish on the scripts and I will post the compiled scripts with better instructions in this thread!

here is the au3 script (Save as blah.au3)

; ----> The Office and reboot.js file error definitive fix!
AutoItSetOption("TrayIconHide", 1)
AutoItSetOption("WinTitleMatchMode", 4)
BlockInput(0)

; ----> Add the name of your .msp file here. (I have mine in the same directory as the setup.exe file)
RunWait( @ScriptDir & "\setup.exe /adminfile Office.msp", "", @SW_HIDE)

; ----> If you have a SLOW pc and are still getting the error make this number higher (I suggest by 5000 increments)
Sleep(10000)

Exit

And then simply call it like so in WPI:

"%wpipath%\Office07\Office_installer.exe"

All you need to do is compile this with the auto-it program (Google is your friend) and place it in the same dir as the .msp file!

Here are 3 pre-compiled installers for you to use immediatly. (Even have pretty icons)

2 are for office 07 and one is for SharePoint designer. (Hell they are all the same though just calling different names)

Office_installer.exe assumes your .msp file is calling office.msp

Word_installer.exe assumes your .msp is called word.msp

SP_installer assumes your .msp is called sp.msp

They all HAVE to be in the same dir as the setup.exe for Office or Sharepoint.

If needed I will post a quick tut on making your admin install (Super easy) and including updates (Also super easy)

:P

Have fun with your new error free installs

P.S. Don't forget to check back on the 29th you'll have a suprise!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Kelsenellenelvian,

first, thanks for the brainstorming and solution finding ! :thumbup

One question though ...

You are saying the problem appeared because WPI watched the installer (and something in the installer is locking the reboot file and this somehow is a problem). But I am already calling a cmd in WPI and the problem still happens.

I install office like this:

In WPI I call a cmd like this:

%root%\\Microsoft\\Office2007\\silent_install.cmd

The silent_install.cmd then does this:

start /wait .\setup.exe
start /wait .\SaveAsPDF.exe /q

if exist .\WindowsXP-KB915865-v11-x86-DEU.exe start /wait .\WindowsXP-KB915865-v11-x86-DEU.exe /passive /norestart
if exist .\officemath.msi start /wait .\officemath.msi /passive /norestart

In what way is this different from your solution except you use AutoIt instead of a cmd ? Is this the solution ? Or is the solution that WPI watches an exe instead of a cmd ? Because I could also use a cmd Compiler to compile the cmd into an exe if thats the solution ...

I am not questioning your solution (haven´t tried it yet) but I would like to understand where the solution is excactly so I can adapt your solution to my setup ...

Thanks for your help !

Alex

As I understand it, the key is having a sleep command within the external script. From my experience, the Office installer exe's return before they have completely finished. Therefore, all of the resources used by the installer have not been freed yet. So adding the sleep command allows the installer to finish freeing up resources it has locked (which conflict with WPI) before it returns to WPI. In essence it delays the original installers return time.

Hi !

I understand. Ok, will try this soon :-)

edit:

No, did not work. So the sleeping alone cannot be the solution. My code is like this:

start /wait .\setup.exe

ping -n 120 127.0.0.1>nul

start /wait .\SaveAsPDF.exe /q
if exist .\officemath.msi start /wait .\officemath.msi /passive /norestart

I did the same thing for Visio, which installs right after Office. Also, SP1 is in the Updates folder. And thats the reason why I don´t think this will work at all. The problem seems to happen either during the update installation or after the Office and during the Visio installation. So the sleep command (or in my case the ping localhost command comes to late because the problem happens while the script waits for the Office or Visio installation to finish, not after the installation finished.

I will now try with the autoit script, however, I doubt that it will behave different from a cmd, unless the solution is using Autoit instead of anything else ....

?

Alex

Edited by midiboy

Hi again,

mhh, does not work with the autoit script either. Now I get an error message right after the Office installation (the office installer still shows the Updating ... screen) saying that an error occured in the script on line 1. Wrong symbol/sign or something (it was shown in german).

The scrpit looks like this:

BlockInput(0)

; ----> Add the name of your .msp file here. (I have mine in the same directory as the setup.exe file)
RunWait( @ScriptDir & "\setup.exe", "", @SW_HIDE)

; ----> If you have a SLOW pc and are still getting the error make this number higher (I suggest by 5000 increments)
Sleep(12000)

RunWait( @ScriptDir & "\officemath.msi /passive /norestart", "", @SW_HIDE)
RunWait( @ScriptDir & "\SaveAsPDF.exe /q", "", @SW_HIDE)
Exit

After I click on either yes or no for entering the debug mode, WPI ends ...

Bye,

Alex

Edited by midiboy

does this problem occur when installing a custom install not a full installation??

i used the argumen setup.exe /config custom-uA.XML

i only install word, excel, and powerpoint

Edited by exhaler

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
here is the au3 script (Save as blah.au3)

BlockInput(0)

RunWait( @ScriptDir & "\setup.exe /adminfile Office.msp", "", @SW_HIDE)

Sleep(10000)

Exit

And then simply call it like so in WPI:

"%wpipath%\Office07\Office_installer.exe"

All you need to do is compile this with the auto-it program (Google is your friend) and place it in the same dir as the .msp file!

OK What if I already have my office install packed into a silent switchless installer I made with 7z switchless installer method. Will I have to unpack everything or can I just use

RunWait( @ScriptDir & "<path to my switchless installer>", "", @SW_HIDE)

instead.

Also will getting rid of this error make the WPI wizard stay open until everything is completely done? Because even with the error everything installs but the GUI for the wizard goes away after the error but the office install is still running and I have to view task manager to see when it finishes before I can reboot.

• 1 month later...