Vlited Ultimate x64 updates wont install

ColdFlo

It will tell me they are installed then at configuring updates it sits for 30 mins then restarts then works for another 30 minutes only for me to come back see the updates subtracted to reboot and find them all there again. Looks like you guys have handled most of this stuff not sure what it is......

Oh yeah, might as well add this.

VISTA IS A SUPERIOR GAMING OS ANYONE THAT DOESN'T THINK SO IS A NOOB. I HAVE PROVED IT. FRAMERATE MEANS NOTHING WHEN IT COMES TO NEGLIGIBLE DIFFERENCES; INGAME SPEED, STABILITY OF PLATFORM, AND BETTER INGAME HANDLING TRUMP IT!!!!!!!!!!

(3 FRAMES MEANS NOTHING IN COMPARISON)

Edited by ColdFlo

That added part wasn't necessary, we can all judge for ourselves if Vista or XP is better at gaming but thanks for the opinion. As for the issue that you mention, I've seen something similar. Shut everything down, reboot the pc and then try vLite again.

Try new vLite when it comes out on Monday, if you are open to a reinstall. And make sure to keep Firewall, it was needed for one hotfix in my tests. Other than that 2 other hotfix installs were fixed so that might solve your chain reaction.

Try selecting a few updates (4-6) at a time which will help narrow it down to the exact update which is causing the problem. Maybe its worth a try.

Off Topic:

VISTA IS A SUPERIOR GAMING OS ANYONE THAT DOESN'T THINK SO IS A NOOB. I HAVE PROVED IT. FRAMERATE MEANS NOTHING WHEN IT COMES TO NEGLIGIBLE DIFFERENCES; INGAME SPEED, STABILITY OF PLATFORM, AND BETTER INGAME HANDLING TRUMP IT!!!!!!!!!!

(3 FRAMES MEANS NOTHING IN COMPARISON)

I agree vista is much better at gaming, directx 10 helps alot too. So ye i agree with every word especially the "3 frames means nothing..." but not going to make a big statement out of it.

Lego

Why would Vista be better for games? Because of the Game Explorer and Parental Controls?

Lets put the DX10 aside since only a handful of games support it and judging from the pictures I don't see any difference in image quality and the speed is lower of course.

Not trying to pick a fight, I'm genuinely interested and I am running Vista as my main OS.

Well my graphics cards are both DX10 (SLI) and vista can use DX10 but yes putting that aside and talk about DX9 Games. I don't know what is it is but when playing games on vista my games feel alot smoother n i think my games look a tiny bit better but just noticable (for me anyways), i don't use parental controls and didnt use Game Explorer (but thats not something special). I just cant put my finger on it but i do notice a difference and for some reason on vista i can put my games on a higher setting. An advantage the look n feel of vista as XP to me is abit... plain lol.

But in general for me games work better on Vista and i do notice a difference and to be honest and don't look/care about framerates and just play the game.

Lego

Well first of all I'd like to say that I think you need current generation hardware and I think it does look allot more clear than XP does. Not only that, as you are moving your POV about, the maps seem to be more cohesive in Vista. I admit I haven't started playing Crysis yet because my GPU may be too tweaked for it as I have it tweaked more for CSS right now. What I found interesting about Vista is that if you tweak the OS and memory space down as far as you can the graphics platform itself is superior. I believe it has lower latency and is better looking(more clear) and with the desktop turned off because of that new driver feature(the name has escaped me for a last couple of months Ive talked about it ingame a few times and still cant remember the name) along with the kernel optimizations I just get more in game speed of the character. Its not a higher framerate or faster sprites(bullets) but the motion of the ingame character seems to either have a higher acceleration and or velocity(I let my GPU tweaks cover latency issues with firerate:)). The handling is also much improved remember back in the old q2 days when there was no crosshair smoothing and then XP enhanced that some more and now in Vista its just perfectly tuned; I have trouble missing headshots now. Not only that I got Q3 with SMP working again and I'm just owning everyone. I have no overclock on any of my components and my in game speed is clearly faster than my opponents. I did the same thing everyone else did I installed Vista couldn't use anything and wrote it off to DRM but I knew the jury wasn't out until I had it tweaked down. In CSS I am able to game everyone on the highest graphics and resolution settings offered in the game and still win even against very experienced players(I'm still subpro in CSS only been playing since August but It's my last major title to master so its coming easier). I think the real problem is the MS services which I have tweaked down allot; there are prolly tripple the services in Vista compared to XP. See the one thing MS has failed to realize is that the memory environment is the living space of the gamer, and if you want a fast game you need to limit processes(I know im not telling you guys this but I like to keep my posts educational). I have been trying to contact Mark Russonivich so maybe he could implement dll hell profiles giving the user control of every dll in memory because I think the ultimate goal of an os is to provide the holy grail I have always called gamemode which would dump all memory and graphics so that just the game kernel and needed dlls run and then be able to switch profiles back into the OS environment and (dont know if this is possible) maybe seperate kernels one for OS mode and one for game mode because the extra features that make the OS kernel bloated would not be needed in game mode(MinWin????). I know autoruns handles startup dlls, and I have started studying them but I think a tool that reads active memory or some list of running dlls is necessary incase more arise after startup(which im sure they do). I also think profiles would be nice in services.msc so you could go between a game mode and a home office mode. I would just like to see MS have all its compatibility and functionality while at the same time crushing those linox cheator who will not tell you what they have done. I believe in gaming on a level playing field and letting true skill determine the victor. So, I would like to see making a computer like a Nascar easier for the noobs because there has been a definite shift to easier games as of late to maximize sales(sorry but tf2 is like a kiddy game; I like it. The graphics are great, but it just bores me. I'm a speed flick rail addict). People dont like playing pros with tweaks they will never figure out or cheats no one will ever tell them. So, we need to make it easier to get the performance we do so we dont get owned by super cheators lowering us down to the noob level and so they dont feel cheated(I mean cmon havent you noticed that game makers always pander to the throngs of noobs crying about what weapon they get owned with so the best features of a game are always gone in the next edition....).

Also I tried doing seperate hotfixes or halfsplitting but the same thing happened I'm almost done with a new vLite and I'll try that one sorry for the long post horrible grammer uneeded info and the super runon, but I like to help noob because I NEED A CHALLENGE YOU ARE ALL TOO EASY I NEED JUST ONE NOOB TO BRING IT WHERE ARE YOU??????.......

P.S. Thank you nuhi for making q3 with SMP possible without lag or bluescreen because MS service tweak alone was not getting and I did make a ps with rainbow of emoticon up to smiley then a hello gbye wave.(But you as MODERATOR said I could not post it, and now emoticon is locked) well I have emoticon for that ~~~~~~"#c#"......

Edited by ColdFlo

Up until "Vista its just perfectly tuned" you took the words right out of my mouth, i dont play CSS to comment on the rest.

I like the "Game Mode" and "Home Office" idea. You can actually acheive this by creating your own program where you press a button and the services you specificy will be disabled and registry tweaks activated if you use any (Gamer Mode) and then after you press another button and everything will be enabled again (Home Office Mode) but shame microsoft don't have it built in or something equivalent.

lol what is that gonna do? i mean cmon even a noob knows not to leave his explanation at that

I have no idea why. It just does. If I knew why, I would have said so. This has happened to me 3 or 4 times and a reboot fixes it. Would you rather I lie and pretend I know the answer like certain other people do? I'd rather say what I said and leave it at that. If it doesn't work then it doesn't work but it does for me. 'Nuff said.

Ok so the answer is placebo, feels smoother and nicer but no proof, even benchmarks show that it's slower.

I spent a lot of money on hifi cables because I thought I hear the difference, until one day I did a blind test and there it is, harsh truth.

Too bad you can't do a blind test, 2 same pcs with the same game and settings on a different OS.

Now it seems I am picking a fight because I should have kept my mouth shut on this one, faith is a nasty thing to debate about.

there are links on google just type ins something like "Vista vs XP Gaming".

heres one for you: http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/01/29/xp-...4.html#3d_games but vista has come along way since they posted that (jan 29th), updates, etc..

Sure, Vista may have gotten more compatibility fixes for software, but your forgetting the main reason.

Tests will never and I mean never show what the OS is made of. For example, why do/did they make tests of 32 bit built games? Of course no 64 bit built games are out on the market yet and most XP users have the x86 version (in my opinion). So your comparing a high end OS with a low end (still good though) that does it's work on the 32 bit architecture and vista with it's 64-bit one.

Sure Vista does handle 32 bit apps fine but not as good as XP. So why even bother comparing? Just wait untill the gamemakers comes out with their 64-bit built games, when the CPU can really do it's job (I'm talking aboout 2-8 cores here). XP does not support 4+ cores as far as I know.

Oh and your still forgetting one thing. Although this goes for both OSs the games you often play on high end PCs are often such games that you play online. You can have a high end PC, but latency will still beat ya there. So if you have a s***ty connection then you don't have so much to argue about.

I had a battle with some friends of mine and we played Q4 and FEAR. Two of them have "high end" specced PCs. But they both have a really slow connection, so that didn't really help much with their "imba" FPS (frames..).

So stop comparing 32 built games. and you know just how "good" the x64 XP is ;)

Edited by Chrno