Repairing Technocrap from the dump before Oscar the morning grouch bum

Today I found a Gateway computer with the built for Win98 sticker on it with a built in screen. I never had a computer like this before so I said hey treasure. I plug it in but all I can hear is clicking probably from the monitor. The computer feels wet but is really really cold. Nothing on the outside looks damaged.

I think the power supply needs changing or maybe needs to dry out. I gitter the plug around to hear it make that Tv sound. over and over again. There is no responce from the power button at all.

I think it might just needs to dry any thoughs on repair or if you had this problem. The last time this occured to me was when I spilled water on the family Tv set after leaving a vase with a flower on the top fell. The Tv would make the come on noise but no video. I heard it might need a fuse.

Any thought on this???

Why is it 'really, really cold'?

Edit: I ask because you weren't clear as to whether you just brought it in or not from outside.

If it is a single unit with housing around the computer guts and the monitor, you will need to be extremely careful if you decide to open it up after having power to the unit. The components of the monitor can build up some high voltages that will knock your socks off to say the least.

DL

Edited by DL

We have a lot of the Gateway all in ones but i think the oldest we have is the Profile 4 and its sticker says 2000/XP I believe

Profile 4

profile4sm.gif

Profile 3

profile3sm.gif

Profile 2

profile2sm.gif

Profile 1.x

profilesm.gif

If you decide to replace the power supply on it let me know which one you have and ill see if i can get a replacement part #