[nlite 1.5 suggestion] Adding roles to Tweaks

gosh

Idea for nlite 1.5

nlite has a tweak section. Your options are to individually select which tweaks you want, or to select all or none.

I think a great idea would be to expand this to allow you to select a preset of tweaks based on the role of the computer.

For example, if you just want a fast computer you could click a button called "Performance" that would just select all the tweaks that speed up the computer, such as disabling prefetcher, disabling visual tweaks, removing all the wallpaper, etc.

And you could have a button called "Security" that enables any security related fix such as Clearing the pagefile on shutdown, clear MRU's, disables auto update for media player, etc

Currently there is a security section, but other settings that are security related are in different fields. By adding a role field that has preset options, you can very quickly select what you want the computer to be primarily.

-gosh

post-7679-1194534754_thumb.jpg

That would be a great option if flexability was added also so options between performance and regular or other options.

Also on services if one button can be pushed to disable unneeded servives. And description of each service.

Edited by dirtwarrior

While it seems like a good idea and the same was debated for component removal page, what is the advantage of those presets?

Faster?

It is intended only for those which don't care what the program does, can you imagine yourself going "oo Performance, click, install...my god why is it classic look, I integrated themes!"

Or if you double check every option it does then it's slower than the usual selection.

I cannot imagine someone choosing one preset on the blind faith and just be done with it.

That means he is not careful which settings are applied and he will be annoyed after install.

We get reports "where are my EXE icons, it's just blank white one?!" That's because he didn't read the description for the "Disable custom exe icons", imagine how many annoyances would be if doesn't read the description of every single tweak in these presets.

While it seems like a good idea and the same was debated for component removal page, what is the advantage of those presets?

Faster?

It is intended only for those which don't care what the program does, can you imagine yourself going "oo Performance, click, install...my god why is it classic look, I integrated themes!"

Or if you double check every option it does then it's slower than the usual selection.

I cannot imagine someone choosing one preset on the blind faith and just be done with it.

That means he is not careful which settings are applied and he will be annoyed after install.

We get reports "where are my EXE icons, it's just blank white one?!" That's because he didn't read the description for the "Disable custom exe icons", imagine how many annoyances would be if doesn't read the description of every single tweak in these presets.

I see what you mean. It could be an advanced option with a disclaimer use at your own risk. :whistle:

Faster?

You have a good point

saving your own settings in a last session.ini is suited better for this imo..

Ye true but how about making your own, so instead of Performance, Security, Gaming & Network, you can make your own customizable ones i.e. My Comp, Dad's Comp, Mum's Comp & whatever, or still have performance etc.. where you can just customize them and use them for later. but personally im happy with bledd's post.

Edited by legolash2o