Digital Years

Daniel-J

Everyone has no doubt heard that a dog year is seven human years. By the time you have owned your little pup for 3 years, he will have aged 21 years! Obviously the same can be said for computers. But the ratio is much higher! Windows 98 was "born" August of 1998. Nine years later, it's still kicking, but is (by Microsoft) deemed dead. No more updates, any new software being developped beyond this year is written for Windows 2000 or higher. That means that Windows 98 had a good long life of about 82 digital years! RIP Windows 98! We will always remember you!

Looking back at the 90's, where were you in life? I graduated from high school the year Windows 3.1 was released (1992). (The Windows registry was also introduced with Windows 3.1...oh that blasted registry! Now Microsoft wants to get rid of it! Can you blame them?) Windows 95 came out the same year I got married...I was married in 1996. Just kidding! I was married in May of 1995, just three months before Windows 95 came out. In 1998, when Window 98 came out, I was still alive. Nothing exciting in my life at that point. But some really good movies came out that year. There was Enemy of the State with Will Smith and Gene Hackman. Armageddon with Bruce Willis was also a not bad film at the time. And how could we forget Disney/Pixar's A Bug's Life. Great animation even today!

The next versions of Windows (that I know of) weren't until 2000 with ME and 2000. I know there was a CE in there somewhere, but I don't think it ever flew very far! So, when you think about it, Windows 9x are really not that old!

And just for fun i posted all the release dates, which should be right if wikipedia is. I only copied the OS's that were cared about, since i dont think 1.xx and 2.xx were very popular

3.0 : May 22, 1990

3.1x : March 18, 1992

NT3.1 : July 27, 1993

NT3.5 : September 21, 1994

NT3.51 : May 30, 1995

95 : August 24, 1995

NT4 : July 29, 1996

98 : June 25, 1998

98SE : May 5, 1999

2000 : February 17, 2000

ME : September 14, 2000

XP : October 25, 2001

2003 : April 24, 2003

Vista : November 8, 2006

Edited by awergh

Everyone has no doubt heard that a dog year is seven human years. By the time you have owned your little pup for 3 years, he will have aged 21 years! Obviously the same can be said for computers. But the ratio is much higher! Windows 98 was "born" August of 1998. Nine years later, it's still kicking, but is (by Microsoft) deemed dead. No more updates, any new software being developped beyond this year is written for Windows 2000 or higher. That means that Windows 98 had a good long life of about 82 digital years! RIP Windows 98! We will always remember you!

Looking back at the 90's, where were you in life? I graduated from high school the year Windows 3.1 was released (1992). (The Windows registry was also introduced with Windows 3.1...oh that blasted registry! Now Microsoft wants to get rid of it! Can you blame them?) Windows 95 came out the same year I got married...I was married in 1996. Just kidding! I was married in May of 1995, just three months before Windows 95 came out. In 1998, when Window 98 came out, I was still alive. Nothing exciting in my life at that point. But some really good movies came out that year. There was Enemy of the State with Will Smith and Gene Hackman. Armageddon with Bruce Willis was also a not bad film at the time. And how could we forget Disney/Pixar's A Bug's Life. Great animation even today!

The next versions of Windows (that I know of) weren't until 2000 with ME and 2000. I know there was a CE in there somewhere, but I don't think it ever flew very far! So, when you think about it, Windows 9x are really not that old!

Its perhaps not as dead as people think, breaking the 137gb barrier,patching the vmm allowing in excess of 3.5 gigs of ram, allowing xp apps to run, plus all the autopatching apps and gui enhancements. Who would have thought the os could have been modified so much. Hopefully if the system resource limitations can be overcome perhaps by using 32bit for the pointers of its resource table, and work progresses on creating device drivers for later day hardware it will still be good to go for the next ten years or more

awergh - you forgot ME-ME-ME, the "cross-breed" (followed 2K & preceded XP, kind of a Pre-XP Home Edition)...

Thats because Windows ME wasn't actually released. It was chased out of Redmond by Microsoft programmers carrying torches and pitchforks. From there it was copied and released directly to the warez scene. Anyone that claims to have Purchased a copy from retail is lying. Because honestly, who would admit to that?

Did you know that in Windows 98SE if you go to C:\%WINDIR%\EXPLORER.EXE and right click>Properties, it says "Windows NT Operating System". :huh: Isn't Windows 98SE a crossbreed between Windows NT 3.xx and Windows 2000?

Yes, the registry was introduced with Windows 3.1, but the majority wasn't stored there, thus, you usually didn't go there for the configuration settings. The majority of the configuration settings were in ini files.

The registry probably wasn't even in the same format.

The registry as we know it didn't exist until Windows 95.